Ministry - 2004 Tour ...

formica

Anyone into Ministry?

I'm no fan-boy, but I've always liked their style and admire their influence in the industrial scene so I caught their show last night here in town... and they really rocked the place. I left impressed and definitely a fan.

For those of you who don't know, their songs typically make a strong social / political statements with collections of audio samples from the media. Obviously Bush was an easy target on their last album 6.gif . Even in Canada, the message of political bullying still speaks volumes.

It was at a relatively small venue (old theatre) with about 1250 people... so the sound was pretty good... and leaps and bounds ahead of a stadium/arena show. I actually found the sound mix better than on their last album, which I find too sibilant.

There were two opening bands. First was an intriguing "Hanzel-Und-Gretyl" with a heavy techno/metal/industrial mix (kinda like mixing Rammstein music with Soulfly's vocals, sung by a girl with a very manly voice). They were followed by a very disappointing performance by "My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult" who sang off key and who obviously wanted to be somewhere else.

Overall, two thumbs up.

Tomorrow... I'm off the see KMFDM... 10.gif

Rob

Love Ministry. That must have been an incredible show. I have a good chunk of their cds, and they've evolved over the years to more of an electric sound from 100% electronic industrial to a good mix. Very LOUD!.

I have a compilation cd w/ some of Hanzel une Gretyl. I like the couple songs that are on it. Good industial techno can really test the bass response (and limits) of your woofers.

Ministry is an Industrial group formed in the early 80's who influenced many other in that style by using "over-the-top aggression and roaring heavy metal guitar riffs that helped their music find favor with metal and alternative audiences outside of industrial's cult fan base".

Definitely no words like easy listening or smooth rock will ever be used to describe them.

Still have no idea... well you can check them (as well as any other musical performer) at AMG's excellent www.allmusic.com... for example:

Industrial music defined

Ministry Biography

BTW, Ministry's latest album (House of the Molé) is one of the better efforts in my opinion falling short only to their "classics". I'll follow up tomorrow with a short KMFDM review... but it's a little to late tonight.

Rob

Speaking of good industrial concerts, I saw Front 242 (who at least one of their members worked with Ministry in the early 80's). Front 242 stayed more electronic industrial techno than did Ministry. WHen I saw them a couple of years ago in wash DC, I never heard so much clean base. Ever. THey must have been using a lot of watts and clean equipment. It was never hard on my ears, but I literally thought someone pushed me in the chest until I got used to it. I could yell over some of the sound, but the base could only be described as physical.

----------------

On 10/20/2004 5:48:10 AM v3spitfire wrote:

Speaking of good industrial concerts, I saw Front 242 (who at least one of their members worked with Ministry in the early 80's). Front 242 stayed more electronic industrial techno than did Ministry. WHen I saw them a couple of years ago in wash DC, I never heard so much clean base. Ever.

----------------

I also attended the Front242's ReBoot98 tour... and it remains one of my fav shows, probably because they are also one of my favourite bands. They introduced me to the industrial scene before I even knew "industrial" was a style.

I really appreciated the updated sound of their entire backcatalog for that tour... it made a change compared to hearing the same songs played the same way. The live album released at the beginning of that tour captures it quite well... esp played loud. Like you mentioned, the sound was great and they really vibrated the place 4.gif as well as my living room every time I pull "Melt" from that live album out. 4.gif11.gif The AV-15 comes in handy for those albums...

As a preview to the KMFDM review... the opening band DJ?-AcuCrack impressed me with their drill-&-bass... enough for me to buy their album. Sound was incredible with non relenting bass you can feel, like Front242. Stylistically it was an unusual opening band for an industrial group, but my tastes also include some of the bands which influenced them like Technical-Itch and Dom-and-Roland, so i was happy.

Nice to see I'm not the only person with non-mainstream musical tastes...

Rob

I agree..Melt on Reboot live is my test cd. It will send any salesman running for the volume knob. THis song and CD is what reinforced the fact that I still need a sub (I really don't have one to speak of now, so the RF7s handle it, but the bass power on that song is astounding, the cd itself is menacing...

Have you listened to COBALT 60, Jean-Luc Demeyer's mid 90's project? Very powerful also.

I remember when I bought the "Revenge" album in '83...I thought it was one coolest New Wave synth-pop albums ever. By the time "Twitch" came out in '86, Ministry had changed their sound so much (WAY HARDER & MORE AGGRESSIVE) I had to check the liner notes to make sure it was the same band. Some of their album titles were pretty funny/sick:

"The Land of Rape & Honey"

"A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste"

"In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up" (LIVE)

For a guy who is 46 years old, Alain Jorgensen is still pretty hardcore...does heroin keep you young?

Dave

----------------

On 10/21/2004 6:06:40 AM v3spitfire wrote:

Have you listened to COBALT 60, Jean-Luc Demeyer's mid 90's project? Very powerful also.

----------------

Yup... both Colbalt 60 and C-Tec. BTW, the first C-Tec album is a keeper... but I never did buy the "speed tribe" or "Male or Female" albums. I'm curious about their sound...

If anyone isn't sure if Ministry live is worth the money... I'd definitely say yes. They put on a good show... but buy the latest album first... as the first part is entirely off of it.

Entertaining...

Rob

Dad and Stepmother used to crank up the TV and dance to this trash every weekend.

The Stepsister and I contemplated suicide.......

At least the Stepsister liked Rock, and played the AM rock stations when Pa and Evil Mom were gone.

Good thing, because they rammed that easy listening sh*t down our throats......

post-6643-13819258230712_thumb.gif