Klipschorn v. Cornwall II

cjgeraci

----------------

On 10/19/2004

I would like to ask anybody if a Khorn would be a good center for either HT or 3 channel?

I know you would have to build a false corner and rotate the corner and speaker, but just building the false corner would make the center stick out farther then the L/R speakers.

Danny

----------------

While I believe at least one of our Forum members (was it Q-Man?) modified a Khorn to sit on its side as a center speaker, and Ive heard of others using a false corner with it as a center speaker, I thought Id comment on an interesting effect of doing this.

When using flanking Khorns, with say, a Belle as a center speaker, the center phantom image tends to image vertically between the height of the midrange horn of the center speaker and the taller flanking speakers. This puts the center image above the center speaker. When a center speaker of the same height as the flanking speakers is used, the phantom image, while being reinforced by the center speaker, appears more strongly to be coming from the center speaker, and not emanating in free space above a shorter center speaker. Obviously there are other factors that come into play, but to me, it somewhat attenuates the illusion.

And yes Terry, the Heresy was originally used as a full range center speaker between Khorns before the Cornwall was developed in the early days of commercially available stereo. Theres a picture of such a setup in the Klipsch Audio Papers I distributed a while back.

S/N 2D225 appears to be the format of years 1962-1983, although there was generally two digits prior to the letter, which designates the year 1965.

Check out the Cornwall carefully, there's quite a few of us who would love to get our hands on a single. Don't know about the demand for a single K-horn, although it makes a fairly awkward center channel speaker.LOL They would make a HORRIBLE pair.

Michael

single khorns seem to sell in fact of the 5 I have all were bought one by one make for a fun hunt find a match.

I found a perfect matsh for my 51 (only 3 weeks apart.

My 58 only 8 mounths apart.

The solo 59 khorn came in a klipsch three way sytem with a model h, and short horn orig used all together.

I see khorn all the time on ebay fect good Monel solo.

Back in the day it was very common to oder one khorn at a time many had to save just for one.

It was said one khorn is better than two of any other 2 speakers.

I found my first khorn 8 years ago for 150 in a antique

store 2 years later I found the perfect match on the then new Ebay.had to pay 1100 for the match.

"And yes Terry, the Heresy was originally used as a full range center speaker between Khorns before the Cornwall was developed in the early days of commercially available stereo. Theres a picture of such a setup in the Klipsch Audio Papers I distributed a while back."

Actually the original Heresy was not a "full Range" speaker. The bass was intentionally rolled off at about 100Hz by the enclosure size. The flanking Klipschorns were to provide the bass. Somewhat like a HT center's higher cut-off frequency today. Later, when more pairs than singles were being sold Klipsch enlarged the depth of the enclosure to lower the bass response (and sell more pairs 2.gif )

Rick

Everyone, thanks for the responses. Does anyone know if the "attach file" function is still down?? Appears so because I just tried to attach some pics of the Klipschorn and Cornwall, but with no success. 8.gif

Can anyone remind me, the computer novice on how to paste pics into your post?? Maybe that's an alternative......

Thanks,

Carl.

When using flanking Khorns, with say, a Belle as a center speaker, the center “phantom image” tends to image vertically between the height of the midrange horn of the center speaker and the taller flanking speakers. This puts the center “image” above the center speaker. When a center speaker of the same height as the flanking speakers is used, the phantom image, while being reinforced by the center speaker, appears more strongly to be coming from the center speaker, and not emanating in “free space” above a shorter center speaker. Obviously there are other factors that come into play, but to me, it somewhat attenuates the “illusion”.

----------------

Artto you bring to light an interesting point here. I have three La Scala's across the front with the middle split into two sections. One the bass bin below and the Sqawker/Tweeter above my display. When I run multi-channel soundtracks I get a similar effect but sort of reversed. My L/R mains seem to image taller towards the height of the center. I always thought I imagined this (and maybe I do) but that is the effect I hear and sense.