TheEAR, I've got something to show you...

John Warren

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Designs for subwoofer enclosures similar to that are available at Decware.com one of them can work as a coffee table if I am not mistaken!

Beatiful room by the way Wardsweb! What is the gear line up in there, I thought I saw a Monster power center or two, an Adcom amp, and perhaps a Denon multi DVD player?

I bought and built the coffe table sub from deware, the wicked one, his audiophile offering with twin 10" woofers...I did not like the sound...did not seem tuneful, just kinda made a wump, wump, wump sound...gave it to a neighbor.

I am still intrigued by the adire sub shown above, but at $4k I cannot buy one just to see what happens...regards, tony

Ok first off, the Decware Wicked One is not designed well for a horn enclosure. The horn lenth is to short for a true horn subwoofer. The BassMaxx B1 has a horn length of about 8 feet. What you get is a very open airy musical bass that fills the room. It's not a slam in your face urban beat. It is very fast and surrounds you. The first time I heard a B1 was in the designers home and knew I had to have one. Well he made me a deal and I bought two.

As for the Martin Logans sitting on the cabinets, the cabinets really don't vibrate much being cross braced and sand filled. The horn allows the driver to move very little. You get quick musical bass without the buzz. Now with the power turned up you can shake the room, but that's more for home theater. The panels do not reproduce bass well as they are tuned for higher freqs.

The other gear you see in the pic are dishnetwork hd receiver, yamaha rxv1400, toshiba dvd, jvc SVHS vcr, Carver A760x, Teac X1000R, Carver CD, Sony CD, Carver A500x, Panamax 1000, Parasound Scamps.

• 4 months later...

----------------

On 3/28/2005 6:30:00 AM John Warren wrote:

What bothers me about both pasive radiatiors AND vented ports is that they are resonant systems, designed to reproduce "one" frequency, Fb. What bothers me, in paticular about ports, is that the rqmnts for laminar flow in the port are difficult to achieve in practice making distortion inevitable.

----------------

Have you gotten your sub installed, tuned and tested? ...

Rob

----------------

On 3/29/2005 6:25:02 PM John Warren wrote:

The measured Fb (20.4Hz) was within good agreement of the design goal, 21Hz.

----------------

Were there any reasons other than construction simplicity (and fine tuning) for using a square port versus a slot port? I've dropped the idea of going with a box sub (with slot port) for my next unit... so it's become somewhat of a mute point... but I'm curious all the same.

Did you have to re-trim it after doing an initial impedance plot?

• 2 months later...
Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

On 10/24/2004 1:38:26 AM michael hurd wrote:

I was at the north creek site the other day, and they do not list the leviathon any more. This was a custom spec Aura 1808 with lower efficiency and a much lower fs.

----------------

It had a mass ring to lower Fs. It's BL^2/Re, MMS, area, and motor structure changed not a whit.

As an aside, for giggles, I've plugged these (1808's and 8196's) straight into a wall, and let em run for 24 hours.

Don't ask :)

----------------

It had a mass ring to lower Fs. It's BL^2/Re, MMS, area, and motor structure changed not a whit.

As an aside, for giggles, I've plugged these straight into a wall, and let em run for 24 hours.

Don't ask :)

----------------

freak 9.gif

Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

freak
9.gif

----------------

Ya,

Just maybe!

16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif

(4 1808's, 56 cu ft, 4 4.0 QSC powerlights, one small room -that was fun...)

----------------

On 6/8/2005 12:19:04 AM Jay481985 wrote:

John Warren do you find that the 3/4 what appears to be MDF to be adequet from flex and movement? Even though it is braced does the sub enclosure vibrate due to that McCauley? Oh and how are you going to finish that enclosure?----------------

The baffle and back panels are 1.5" thick. As shown above, all of the surfaces are braced and glued. The braces and all joints were glued and then screwed together . At volume extremes the panels are dead, absolutely no vibrations are felt.

The raw MDF sub enclosure was "clad" with decorative casework (another 70lbs of material!).

I'll post pictures.