2 questions with regards to placement.

Spanky

OK, I have 2 questions about placement of components in my system I would like to pose to all of you.

1. Is it a problem to put a Subwoofer (RW-12) in the back (Behind the listeners) of the room? If I switch the Phase and limit the upper Freq's to around the 80 Hz mark, This setup will be used purely for home theatre, with very little or no music.

2. RS25 Surrounds, Should these be at ear level (When seated) or above the listener, These will be placed behind the listener in my Theatre setup with RB25's as main fronts and front and rear centre channels (6.1)

If you have any other suggestiosn for Placement please feel free to suggest them, Thankyou for your Assistance.

As far as you Surrounds go they should theoretically be above the listeners ear level. How much? I have heard anywhere from about 1 to 2 feet above to as much as the top of the speaker being at about two meters from the floor. My Heresy II's place the listeners ear near the top of the woofer, this seems to work best for me for both theatre and music applications. The mids and tweets are slightly higher than the tops of my La Scala's. Experiment and see what you like. Also did your RS come with a placement guide in the box? If so follow it and see what you think.

I would also place them near inline with you listener and not too far behind them. This is what works best for me but I use direct radiators only and do not use or espouse the WDST stuff, just my preference.

Spanky, I have RS 35's for my surround speakers and I ended up placing them just about 3Ft. above my ear and just forward of my listening postion. Came up with that position partly because it was the best place to hang them for my wall set up, but honestly with them just forward of my seat the sound kinda seems to hang there in front of me while my rear speakers pull the sound towards the back of the room making the rear speakers sound more detailed to me. My 1,1/2 cents worth anyway. If ya can try move'in em around to hear the difference.

• Like 1

As for the sub the best place is where you here the best response from the sub, some people recommend that you move the sub around and listen to the same track with good bass. My sub went in the only place I could fit it with out being in the middle of the room, fornuatnly it sounds good. The surrounds I placed to my hear level when standing. I would think slightly back behind the listening postion would be best

Good Luck

I think there is no pat answer. Of course that lacks guidance.

Generally, the sub crossover freq was set so low that our ears can't locate the sound. OTOH, corner placement, any corner, can boost bass. So that is a good start. But it is not necessarily the end point of the investigation.

My guess is that for ambiance aka surround, the higher the better. My reasoning is that much of the goal is to make the sound seem to come from everywhere.

Our rooms can be divided into the bottom four feet, which are filled with absorbant materials on surfaces (furnature and carpet), and the top, which is essentially an echo chamber. So a first experiment is to put the surround speakers in the echo chamber.

Gil

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice,

1 strange thing I have noticed on this Forum (And this is not a complaint or Gripe, Just an observation)

I post a topic for consideration or advice and it seems to get very little or no responses for about a week and then it suddenly gets about 5 or 6 responses in a very short period of time, Like I said this is not a complaint or gripe, Just a funny thing I noticed 9.gif

Well it amused me anyway 3.gif But I do have a bizarre sense of humor.

Thanks for all the advice, It is much appreciated. 16.gif

behind your listening position is ok (recomended?) if it is the best place sonically, every room has different characteristics, the best way i have found and read about sub placement is to place the sub in the primary listening position ( sweet spot) and than walking around the room find the spot where the sub sounds the best to your ears, once you have found this spot, change places with your sub and you should have an optimized sub placement. unfortunatly the best place for sound might not set well with your asthetics12.gif