Industrial LaScala info needed

colterphoto1

Hi gang, ran across a post from a guy who has many LaScala 'industrial' cabinets for sale from a church. I have some questions regarding what constitutes an 'industrial' speaker and how to differential from black standard 'home' versions. I may purchase a couple of stacks, possibly doubling the bass bins, so I want to make certain I get a matched series.

The cabinets are all split, but have different cabinet treatments. Some are just the pebble grain paint, some have plastic corners added, some have plastic corners and plastic on all edges. Some have a separate logo plate stating 'Industrial' on the front of W bins. None are the fibreglass with aluminum edges.

I think that the industrial designation refers to at least a woofer with more power-handling capability, although it may not have quite the low end of the home version. Are any of the other drivers or crossover changed in any way? Can I differentiate from the serial numbers or ???

Thanks

Michael

Lookup the thread with subject "pro la scalas info" in the "Updates and Modifications" forum.

I don't think they have less of a lower end. In fact, my 25 year-old docs say 42 Hz at -5dB for the industrial versus 45 Hz for the "home" version. Higher frequencies are often measured outdoors at a greater distance (e.g. 60 Hz at 10 meters) and should not be confused. My docs also state a type AA crossover which is the same as my "home" La Scala's from that period.

Peter

Thanks for the thread, it's actually where the guy has them for sale.

I'm more looking for identification of the INDUSTRIAL series. These units ARE NOT the fibreglassed, aluminum edged models. They are various incantations of split cabinet, black pebble-painted types. Are they 'industrial' or just pa-looking home models??

Gil, anyone?? IndyKFan, yours are glass/al, right?

Michael

Yes, there are different types of industrial La Scala cabinets. The pebble grained paint is one variety, the ones with the aluminum trim is another type/fiberglass coating. They are identical to the regular La Scala in every way with the exception of the K-43 woofer and the banana type input plugs.

The split cabinet La Scala's offer a high degree of flexibility over a standard La Scala as far as placement. I would jump on a pair of split cabinet La Scala's in a second if the price was right.

I did have just a Pro La Scala top section for a short time I loved it, but it would not fit well on my TV so I sold it to another forum member and replaced it with a KV-4, I just parted with the KV-4 and landed an Academy, what a difference now I know why the Academy commands the prices that it does!

The ID of La SCalas does not necessarily mean you have a matched pair. And because of being a BLACK cabinet does not matter because wood grain is a no biggie!

The nice thing is you can re paint them Michael and make em look brand new. The K 43 is the only difference and a fuse for the top and bottom section in the crossover located on the top units. You heard mine, they are sweet.

PA being PA... (As a general rule for band/ PA gear example.. something that cost 1,000 divide by 2 = 500 divide by 2= 250... Is a good starting place fopr speakers.) I have seen these go from 700 a pair.. to upwards and over 2000.(Rare but has happened.) Most fall in the 1,000- 1800 range and a lot depends, again, does everything work and is stock Klipsch too. I talked to stew he may be serious and may not be.. he said I will have pics and info if all the speakers work up this weekend. I believe it was the weekend of the 16-17th? It is now the 27th and no new info for him? Maybe he wanted to get info from us and sell them to someone else.. It Happens. I do agree the splits are a fantastic find. In a HT situation you could in fact turn em into the room exactly where you wanted them!

I think I don't have much to add.

I received the spec sheet (posted on the board) a few years ago from a fellow who had some LS. His pictures (now lost on some computer) showed plywood painted black with metal edging. Very good shape, and an ernest seller. But I was seduced away by some Forte II in the next days.

I was driving back from Hope to Dallas one time and stopped at a pawn shop to check out anything interesting. They had some bass bins of the LS type which appeared to be treated with fiber glass.

Some of our friends type out dark portents of the need for damping the side walls. Whether one, or the other version, is better or worse, or the same, I can't say.

Gil

Trey has the non split la Scalas, I have the Pro models and split. I agree with Gil, I am not sure you can tell any difference audio wise. The added option of the sweet spot under any direction is a plus IMO though. A few on this board have taken the tops from being screwed into the bottoms on K horns and tilted them in "just right" for the same reason!

Mine may be a half to an inch taller.. because they are separates? (Trey recently painted his and they look brand new! One thing you can always do with Black..LOL)

I agree 500 to 700 is a "realistic price" if he wants to sell them. Maybe up to say 900- 1000 tops if they are mint and just what you have been looking for for years!

Just because they were "in a church" does not mean they were not cranked.

Indy, Stewart has a total of 6 bottom bins and 4 mid/hi packs. I'd like to get a double bass bin +mid high per side. that leaves him with a neat pair left over. Interested? Maybe we can work price a bit if we pick up the whole shootin match. He is selling for the church he is doing re-install at. Let me know.

MCM GRAND, actually used to work with that stack in the Calliope Pro Audio Days (now Indy Pro Audio) That system was #e!! to move around but sounded like a million bucks. THanks, but a bit more than I need for my 2 acre yard area. It'll be interesting to see the selling point of this system.