I need a good stereo technician! Any ideas?

D0N

After a year or longer I finally decided to pack up the stealth genesis amplifier and ship it off to be repaired. I guess I just have a little extra money right now.

The amp is 1 of 50 made so it's a pretty rare and involved piece of gear. The only schematics that I have are hand drawn from the designer Paul McGowan of PS audio. It's been difficult to find a tech who feels confident that he can repair it.

I got a name of a good tech in New Hyde Park near NYC. He said to ship it down and he'd pick it up at the fwd air depot.

I packed up the 160lb amp and took it to forward air here in Albany. I call the tech to double check the address and he then tells me I need to get it to his shop... he decided doesn't want to pick it up at the fwd air terminal 9 miles from his shop now. Too much hassle for him. 7.gif

I could drive it the 170 miles and drop it off myself but then I'd have to pick it up too.

I really want to get this amp working. What I'm hoping is that one of you guys might be able recommend a good tech who wouldn't mind picking an amp up at a forward air terminal near him. The amp is big and requires 2 people to move it.

4188PB220005.jpg?9288

craig I don't have either. I've been in contact with the designer about the schematics. He sent me a bunch of hand drawn schematics but they're definately not complete. As far as I know there is no service manual for this thing. At $8000+ new in 1994 this amp wasn't a big seller so I guess they didn't bother with a service manual.

I emailed Mike. Thanks Craig.

don, it will be very hard to find someone who is qualified to work on that amp...I thought this model was used to power the woofer towers in the genesis 1 speaker system, not used as a stand alone amplifier, no? it has a VERY innovative circuit design, among other things it splits the input, voltage amplifier section from the output, current amplifier section, via the use of transformers. it magnetically isolates the two sections avoided reflection backs from output to input, etc. all making it difficult for tecs to work on without knowing, in detail, the design. kind o flike trying to work on a Halcro amp, most would not even recognize the components...I will research who worked with paul mcgowen on that amp design, perhaps you can contact him, regards, tony

Tony any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

analogman what's the email address of that contact you mentioned?

It may have been used in a speaker but I doubt it due to the fact that it is an integrated amp with remote. A speaker amp wouldn't need either really.

4188PB220004a.jpg?6956

have ya checked the fuse? 2.gif I'm just wondering if it couldn't be something simple that you could take care of yourself. If that's however not the case and you've done all the typical checking, then just ignore me. I'd just hate to see you go through all this searching and then find out it's a simple fix. (I don't think that's the case, but it doesn't hurt to check)

Please don't stop with the suggestions! There's gotta be someone out there who is qualified to fix this thing.

Thanks effster. I did call him back when I first bought this amp in nonworking condition. I do not remember the outcome exactly but I think he forwarded me to paul mcgowen. I'll have to call him again.

My local shop has been over the amp looking for obvious problems. It sat in their shop for months until they finally told me that it was to complicated for them to fix.

I've emailed Mike but he wasn't interested in attempting a repair without the schematics. He recommended ekowars so I mailed him. I'll get this thing fixed if it kills me.

DON'T PLUG THE AMP IN AND TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE!!!

...I have a sense of humor, but someone getting the &*%$#@ shocked out of them, possibly even their very life, is not something to joke about.

Call around as needed to find the correct help for this specific amp, but don't just 'experiment.' Checking common things like the fuse, power cord connections, etc., is fine, but don't put your hands inside an energized compeonent. The problem could be extremely simple, such as a power switch or transformer primary connection, or it could be much more complex. Maybe have something on the side to listen to in the meantime, but take your time getting this amplifier properly checked out.

I agree it's probably something relatively minor. Before I took it to the local shop I cracked it open to look for obvious problems like unattached wires or burnt things. There's nothing that stands out as being fried or unhooked.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the designer paul mcgowan once again and desperately asked for a tech recommendation. He said...

Yeah, bummer. Theres really nothing I can do. The last guy that was able to work on it vanished on me and theres no one. I love the amp too and have one sitting in my garage as well. Genesis went under several years after my departure their technician died. Literally.

Wish I had better news.

Paul

I'm appalled and kind of pissed that 50 people spent roughly $8000 each on an amplifier that the manufacturing company won't repair and can't even recommend a tech for repairs!

With the help of you guys, I found a really nice guy who is contemplating the repairs... Scott Frankland of California.