The Great inductor face-off

Is there any way that I can replace the woofer inductor? The wire seem way too small to be adequate for the 12" woofer.

Also, Would it be possible that you could send me a copy of the schematic? Thru email or mail? Of course, I will pay for the mail expenses.

• 8 years later...

============== Here is the results: ===============

Solen .2 mHy: L=.1986, DCR=.128, Q=43.8

Home-made PVC .2 mHy: L=.2048, DCR=.143, Q=25.8

Alpha Core .2 mHy: L=.1879 DCR=.098, Q=29.4

North Creek .18 mHy: L=.1686, DCR=.058, Q=11.4

North Creek .3 mHy: L=.304, DCR=.080, Q=10.4

Solen .3 mHy: L=.293, DCR=.158, Q=49.8

The .245 inductor from the Klipsch AA network (not shown in the photograph):
Klipsch .245 mHy: L=.2628, DCR=.37, Q=21

CONCLUSION: The clear winners are the coils from Solen wound of Litz wire.
The worst are the coils from North creek music. While good, the Alpha Core
spiral inductor only manages to beat out the home made coil by about 4
points. If you are considering using these, use the Solen coils instead!

At a Q of 21, the coils used by Klipsch are better than I expected and better
then the heavy "upgrades" from North Creek Music. As you can see from the DCR
on the Klipsch inductor it is would of rather thin wire. This proves that
heavy wire is NOT the answer to good Q at 6000 Hz, "Litz" wire however IS the
answer.

UPDATE! -----

I just discovered that the tweeter coil in the Klipsch AA network is being "DE-Qed" by the screw that runs through the center to hold it to the board.

The measurements on it I made before were with the coil removed from the network and connected directly to the bridge. The Q is reduced to only 8.7 by the mounting screw!

Remove the screw and throw it away! Stick the coil to the board using silicon adheasive instead!

Al K.

This was from 9 years ago. Do you still recc pulling the screw and glueing the 0.245 mH inductor on the AA network? Any point in replacing it? If so, with what - I could not find a 0.245, just a solen litz 0.24 mH inductor. Any similar issues with the Heresy I or II (round cup) networks?

Thx

Guest David H

Wow. Dug up a nine year old thread. Cool. I read through this one a long time ago.

jc

Nola is definately doing his homework.

We likes homework, we do, we do.

I found this thread by accident when looking up info on inductors and wondering why the old Klipsch AA inductors looked so rinky dink compared to the new ones on the ALK kit. Also tried to figure how to replace the older stuff. However, could not find a new .245 mH; just the Solen .24mH. Ok, will anyone be able to hear the 2% difference? LOL.

But I am glad that I found the info on the magnetic screw; but again, will anyone be able to hear the difference?

BTW GotHover you are into some really cool stuff. We likes.....we do, we do. But you will only be as cool as Colter if you own 2 of everything.....unless....dare I say it........can you put things on top of other things (Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things / Escape (from film) As featured in the Monty Python Flying Circus TV Show - Episode 18)?

From Your Correspondant in LA, on vacation, "Water, water everywhere. Please advise". NOLA

Guest David H

could not find a new .245 mH; just the Solen .24mH. Ok, will anyone be able to hear the 2% difference?

Virtually the same, Inductors range in tolerance good ones are 1-3%.

Removing the steel screw from the inductor will effect the inductor more along the line of 10%, and may have an subtle audible difference.

• 12 years later...
On 7/4/2009 at 6:01 AM, Guest David H said:

Virtually the same, Inductors range in tolerance good ones are 1-3%.

Removing the steel screw from the inductor will effect the inductor more along the line of 10%, and may have an subtle audible difference.

Thanks for the answer; I just posted a new topic asking exactly that. I am converting my cornwall B network into a B2.