La Scala versus KLF-30's & KLF-C7

kilowattski

Home Theatre Room is 15' wide, 18' long, 9' high. Video is along the 15' wide dimension, and therefore the left, center and right speakers are along the 15' wide wall. Its too late at this point to move the video to the 18' wall.

One concern is whether the LaScala speakers need to find a nice corner to sound right (as do K-horns).

I already have a KLF-c7 which is timber matched to KLF-30's (which I still would need to purchase). A neighbor is selling LaScala's cheap at a garage sale, left and right, and a modified one for the center channel. So that's why I'm saying I have a "choice".

As you can see from my signature I have KLF-30's all around in my HT. I have heard LaScalas as well and IMO you can't go wrong either way. I have a room slightly larger than yours (15 x 26 x 9) and think you will find it large enough to service the LaScalas. IMO, LaScalas need a larger room to really reach their sonic potential. I have heard them in both large and small rooms and I didn't like the sound at all in the small(12 x 14) room.

One thing to consider...if you can get your hands on the LaScalas for a good price now, do it. KLF-30's are getting harder to come by. Very little sales activity on this forum, Ebay and Audiogon for KLF series the last 6-9 months.

Good luck

Redtop

I have always loved the sound of the KLF30's. Had them for several years before selling to a board member. The Las are in a different league. I really don't have too much to add to what has aready been said, but the Las will leave you with a permanent smile. I have had the Las in a room roughly 12X18 and they image just fine. Would still have them had it not been for the Khorns I have now.

I have La Scala's in a 11x30 room in the corners along the 11' wall. They used to be flush in the corner, but I've been toeing them in a bit since about a week. They sound better, for a wider sitting area. I complement the low end with a Hsu STF-3 sub. I've been really enjoying Diana Krall's "Live in paris" DVD every night for the last week. Very sweet jazz.

I compared a Belle relative to the KLF-C7 and it was like a 1000 watt Halogen light compared to a 1 milliwatt LED. I have not heard the La Scalas. Any idea what a good price would be for LaScala's. I see a few Ebay auctions for La Scalas in the $700 to $800 a pair. Is this a high price or about the going rate?

Thanks

I paid $800 and had to refinish mine. I actually only had to refinish the tops since they were used as plant stands, but I figured as long as I was doing the tops, I might as well do the rest. I sold them to a friend and still visit often. I think $1000 is about average for a really nice pair. If they are nearby, that would be a bonus.

I use three La Scala's across the front. You cannot go wrong with that configuration. Mine are about 9 ft apart inside edge to inside edge of the L to R with the Center in the middle and they are towed in about 30-ish degrees. When I finish the room I will move them out some and probably run a 10 - 11 ft triangle. You do not need a corner to place them as K-Horns do but they do not produce the bass of a K-Horn.. Within their range the bass is excellent but it rolls off in the 48 to 55 hz range. They image great in 2-channel mode and for an HT rig they are awesome. I fill in with Heresy IIs for the 2-side surround and rear center. I am working on a bass cabinet to split the center in to two separate units. I have everything I need but time to complete this. Ive had mine for 20 years; the only way anyone could take them from me would be to pry them from my cold dead hands. I do hope to have K-Horns one day for my Main L/R but until such a day my La Scalas fill that role very nicely. I dont have a sub yet, that is one topic I am essentially clueless on. I have heard a number of subs but they dont seem to work well with the Heritage sound. You said you have heard Belle Klipsch, I think you may like La Scalas even better because IMO the mid range sound is better, they use the same horn diver configuration as the K-Horns. As far as a good price an average of about $1200 seems to be the norm. They are well worth it. If you get an older set, which is very likely, you may want to consider doing a crossover upgrade right off the bat. The components in the older networks drift off spec and sound degrades and pales some over time. There are a number of folks here who can assist you in that endeavor of you choose. But as I said I would highly recommend the La Scala front array.

$1300 for three is a very good deal I was indicating $1200/pr. was an average of sorts. A 3 LS front and 4 HII surrounds would be very good IMO.

The LS Pro can handle more power; it uses a K43 woofer driver vice a K33, but yields a little less bass than the home model. This can be corrected by swapping the K43 for a K33. Both can get very loud but I believe Pro/Industrial model can get a little louder FWIW. Both will well work in a home setting but I would recommend the K43 to K33 swap. My center is actually an industrial with a K33 woofer driver. I also use ALK kit A crossovers.