Van Halen: Live Without a Net now on DVD!

tpg

It came out about a week ago, I guess... went to Best Buy just to see if they might have a copy... and they have SIX! Bought all of them. No, not really- just got one. lol I have been a Van Halen fan since about the time I could first walk and talk. My dad got me into that... I remember listening at home... and in his classic 1965 Ford truck (cool truck). Ice Cream Man, Hot for Teacher, Panama... all the great songs. heh We got the VHS of this when it first came out- 1988 or so... so I was 3. lol I remember watching it on our old console TV... Now its on DVD and I am watching it on my own setup. Man... memories... Just wish EVH was still this good live. I also have their "Right Here, Right Now Live" DVD, pretty good as well. OH! BTW- Live Without a Net is in Dolby Stereo, Dolby Surround, AND DTS! I was very excited about DTS... loved every minute of it. 9.gif

Highly recommended... of course. 2.gif1.gif

Very Cool! I have known about this for a while, just have not picked it up. I have the original still on VHS along with about 20 other music related VHS tapes I'll probably never watch. I just can't get myself to go back to VHS....lol

This concert however was pretty cool, and I definitley will get this in the future. Bummer is though, my DVD player doesn't have DTS, at the time of purchase DTS wasn't an option. Man, my wish list gets longer by the day :)

Anyway I'd reccomend this DVD, even though we may hear arguments on the whole Dave vs. Sammy issue, it's worth it!

m00n-

No doubt they will make one out of their latest tour as well... The sound/picture quality is pretty good, though. DTS is a cool option to have. It's funny... as I was watching it, I still remember the place where our old VHS tape skipped a little from having the tape caught and stretched. heh

We loaned out our VHS tape and haven't had it returned yet... The guy is always really busy and is never home.

It is a good concert, though.

Is "Live Without a Net" widescreen or 4:3? At least they offered it in DTS. I think VH "Live, Right Here, Right Now" is only stereo.

I went to BB last week to buy several concert DVD's and only ended up with a couple because the discs were either not widescreen, not 5.1 or didn't say anything about audio and video formats (which I assume is always a bad sign). Why hasn't the industry come up with a standard way to label DVDs so we know what we're getting?

Unfortunately this is all that was listed on the DVD at www.deepdiscountdvd.com (BTW where they have it for $13.30 free shipping!)

Filmed at the New Haven Coliseum, it's the bands first full-length home video. Songs include: "Why Can't This Be Love," and many others.

DVD Information

Title: VAN HALEN-LIVE WITHOUT A NET

Director:

Year: 0

Runtime: 90M

Rating: NR

Language: English

Closed Captioned: N

UPC: 60349703382

Item Number: RHI970338D

Special Features

DVD Features:

Region 1

Keep Case

Full Frame - 1.33

Tracks:

1. There's Only One Way To Rock

2. Summer Nights

3. Get Up

4. Drum Solo

5. 5150

6. Best of Both Worlds

7. Bass Solo

8. Panama

9. Love Walks In

10.Guitar Solo

11. I Can't Drive 55

12. Aint Talkin About Love

13. Why Can't This Be Love

14. Rock And Roll

considered added to the hit list...10.gif

they were just here in Edmonton, Alberta, 3 weeks ago, 20 minute solo by Eddie, he came to tears when the crowd started to chant his name(17,000+).

GREAT SHOW...it was wild how well they got along, you'd think friction, but none with Sammy H., if you get the chance to see them...SEE IT..10.gif

----------------

On 11/6/2004 11:42:13 PM boomer9911 wrote:

considered added to the hit list...
10.gif

they were just here in Edmonton, Alberta, 3 weeks ago, 20 minute solo by Eddie, he came to tears when the crowd started to chant his name(17,000+).

GREAT SHOW...it was wild how well they got along, you'd think friction, but none with Sammy H., if you get the chance to see them...SEE IT..
10.gif

----------------

I just seen the same tour and here his Son Wolfgang played with Him during his solo was the 4th time I seen them first was with dave late 70s

I saw Van Halen in concert at the Silverdome here in Michigan back when I was in high school. They were part of an all-day concert called, "Monsters of Rock." There were five different bands that played including Dokken, Metallica, the Scorpions and Van Halen. (I can't remember the 5th for the life of me!) Anyway, that was one phenomenal concert. This was after the 5150 album/cd came out and they were just awesome. I remember a couple of the Metallica guys came out onto the main floor where we were seated, under some of the scaffolding (for lights?) and were listening to the other bands playing. We went the second week and there were around 50,000 people there. The first concert filled the Silverdome-like 80,000 people. Now THAT'S a rock concert!!!

272.jpg

David, 80,000 people I would agree IS a great concert...HOWEVER lol... back in the summer of 2003 me and a friend of mine took a road trip to Toronto for the "SARSstock". This was a concert put on to help boost the economy or to get people back in the city after the Sars scare they had. For around $20.00 you got a ticket to see the Rolling Stones, Rush, AC-DC, The Guess Who... Justin Timberlake (yipee lol) Dan Akroyd & Jim Belushi and a few lesser known acts. 500,000 people were in attendence. It was held at Downsview Park, an abandoned air field. You talk about craziness, man... that was quite an event!

Although, normally I would prefer to be at a smaller venue where the maximum is around 10-12,000 that way you get better sound quality, and you can actually see the band lol.

there is NO comparison from the days of Roth to Hagar, 2 different Van Halens, but will say your a lucky man Hangman, been alot of rumours about Eddies son on tour, must of been awesome to see.....10.gif

I was a teen in the 70's, thats how I best remember Van Halen "LIVE"....2.gif

Downsfield Airbase...know it well...10.gif

My hunch was right...the other band on that year's Monsters Of Rock tour was the awful Led Zep rip-off band Kingdom Come. Remember their hit Get It On that sounded like Kashmir?

As far as Van Halen goes what I'd really like to see released is a circa '81 Fair Warning show with Dave having snorted a dozen lines and drank a bottle of Jack.

I always forget to make it down to the DVD area... just now remembered.

When I saw him in St. Louis, his son played on stage as well. I wish I could have seen them back in the early '90's or '80's.... I was kind of young then, though... Saw them in 96 or 98 (don't remember which) with Cherone. It left something to be desired... This latest tour was mroe satisfying, but I do miss the way I remember VH from when I was a kid...

BTW- I think there is a DVD out as well of VH with DLR at the World Fair. It is from 81 or somewhere thereabouts.

• 4 months later...

Welp, finally picked this DVD up. Unfortunatly it's not all I wanted it to be. The audio portion is still quite good, with options for Dolby or DTS, but the video quality just plain sucks. Think of watching this on VHS while listening to the cd... that's about it! If I knew the video quality was as bad as it is, I probably wouldn't have purchased this, although it is good to have a early recording of Sammy & the boys :)