I think I've settled on a good set up?

Craig6519

Been a member for a while just haven't poted much, well I used to have KLF-30 setup and dual SVS 20-39cs+ subs, it was a great system but was in a larger room. Now I'm looking at getting:

RF-35 mains

RC-35 center

RS-35 s/surrounds

RB-35 r/surrounds

H/K 230 HAVE this

Outlaw M-200 to run mains

SVS Ultra w/samson s1000

What do u think of this combo?

Craig

----------------

On 10/29/2004 12:51:07 PM Craig6519 wrote:

Been a member for a while just haven't poted much, well I used to have KLF-30 setup and dual SVS 20-39cs+ subs, it was a great system but was in a larger room. Now I'm looking at getting:

RF-35 mains

RC-35 center

RS-35 s/surrounds

RB-35 r/surrounds

H/K 230 HAVE this

Outlaw M-200 to run mains

SVS Ultra w/samson s1000

What do u think of this combo?

Craig

----------------

I think it looks good. Now, there will most likely be somebody that will come on and tell you to look at getting 4 RB-35s for the rears, or 4-RS-35s, or consider getting an RC-7 center, etc, etc, etc. All good and well suggestions, but to be honost, I think what you are getting is plenty good enough.

What you are planning on getting above is a very nicely matched, balanced system where everything will complement each other very well. Using the Outlaw mono-blocks to power the mains, as well as getting an SVS Ultra sub, is a very nice touch. This is an excellent system, and frankly, I don't see any real improvments you can make at this time (that would not require a sustantial increase in the budget).

Some future upgrade possibilities to consider down the road, if you feel you need or want to make them. Getting RF-7s fronts with RC-7 center, and moving the RF-35s as surrounds. Eventually getting (a) dedicated amp(s) to power the rest of the channels. Getting a dedicated pre/pro. You get the idea. Remember, these are future possiblities, if, and only if, you feel you want to move up, not to do right now.

For now, that is an excellent system. One caveat, though. Don't expect KLF-30 performance out of those RF-35 speakers, though. I'll assume you've already auditioned the speakers in question and is already aware of that.

Lets us know how it all turns out, and post pics if you can, so we can all "ooooh" and "aaaah" over it. 10.gif

Thanks for your reply and i agree 100% I want to make sure I have the matching set, I also know that the 35 won't have the KLF 30 slam but live and learn. I have listened to the 35 and really liked the sound a lot. I also think with the SVS sub tuned it it will sound good when used in conjuction with the 35 for music. As far as RF-7 go again if i was going to go that route i'd have the matching set again, but to be honest my room is much smaller and the surrounds would look like mountains on my side walls.

Craig

If you are looking to save money, I'd try it first without the separate amp unless you are getting a deal on it as a bundle. If your room is small, you may find you won't need it.

My h/k avr-235 powers my La Scala's and I rarely go past -10 dB on the dial.

Peter

----------------

On 10/29/2004 1:39:17 PM psg wrote:

If you are looking to save money, I'd try it first without the separate amp unless you are getting a deal on it as a bundle. If your room is small, you may find you won't need it.

My h/k avr-235 powers my La Scala's and I rarely go past -10 dB on the dial.

Peter

----------------

I think he's doing the right thing. The dedicated amplification is not to get more power, it's to get better quality sound.

There is a pair of M200 monoblocs for sale on Audiogon right now.

I just noticed that you're going for RS-35/RB-35 combination. But if you're going to be doing that many channels I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to go RB-35s all around.

And don't worry about running the M200s off the receiver. I ran my B&K off a Pioneer receiver for the longest time and the difference between using the B&K vs. the recever's internal amp was well... astounding.

nice....enjoy....10.gif

Seperates vs a A\V Receiver,,,there is NO comparison, they are so different, similar in some ways...your call in what you want...10.gif

I was running 3 Marantz MA700 mono block amps through my Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver and in all honesty, they are in boxes, my A\V Receiver takes care of my KHorns, Velodyne, etc....10.gif

----------------

On 10/29/2004 10:52:52 PM Craig6519 wrote:

I agree with you about the amp/reciever combo. Why are you guys saying to use RB-35 as side surrounds? won't i get better dispersion of sound with the RS-35?

Craig

----------------

There is a school of thought that if you plan on listening to a lot of multi-chananel music, such as DVD-A and/or SACD, having the monopole surround is supposed to be better, more so if you have the exact same speaker as what you got up front.

However, since it appears you are not really listening to multi-channel music, and that you indicated that you seem to prefer the WDST type surround, than by all means, stick with your original plan, and get the RS-35s. After all, in the end, it what you like that matters, as you are the one that has to live with it.

As for the using a seperate amp with a reciever as a pre-pro, I agree that it does work and will give you excellent results. I am currently using a Denon AVR3802 as a pre/pro fronting a B&K Ref 200.7 amp, and believe me, it does sound plenty damn good enought for me! Yes, getting a better pre/pro in the future should hopefully improve things even more, but right now, I could not be happier. Since you already have the H/K unit, might as well use it, plus H/K is a good brand. It is not like you are planning on hanging those monoblocks off some cheap $200 piece-of-junk Wally*World no-name brand reciever.

I am not saying, don't ignore any suggestions that are given to you, but to be honost, I think what you are planning on getting here is probably about as good as you are going to get, given your space, budget, and listening habits at this time. For the space and budget, I am only assuming, from your previous comments, that you just simply don't have the space, nor the money, to really get anything bigger than the RF-35s, even if you did ditch the monoblocks.

Good luck on your new system, and let us know how it all turns out.

there are pleanty of us here who started with the rc 3 center along side the rf 3's, and i will tell you as soon as you get used to the sound you will find that the 35 center will NOT keep up with the rf 35's, you will see that the 35 will have to be turned up in order to hear dialog clearly. the 7 center is the way to go there