LaScala Refinishing Project

kilowattski

I am the proud new owner of 3 used LaScala speakers that I picked up today all for $850.

Two of the Birch LaScala speakers have serial numbers 86711933, 86711934 and have

the AL crossover with the K-55-M horn.

One of the Black LaScala speakers is the "Pro" or Industrial version and has the

serial number 1809. It has the AA crossover and I am told it has the Alniko (spelling?) driver magnetics (which is suppose to be more desirable).

As one can see from the attached photo these speakers have seen an extensive tour of duty from plant holders to various table top duties, water spillage, being painted purple, and of course acrobatics including being suspended from the floor with 0.5" diameter holes drilled into the top. It also looks as though someone attempted to ice skate on the top of these speaker cabinets, if not just briefly.

They sound great. The LaScala Pro seems to have less bass and appears to have more midrange clarity than the the regular LaScalas.

I plan to use them for front left, center and right channels for home theatre in a 15' X 18' X 9' room, against the 15' wall.

They are presently in the garage awaiting refinishing, which is my next project.

Some questions:

a) from the serial numbers, when were these speakers built?

B) anyone have advice regarding refinishing, including patching the 0.5" diameter holes? Should I get a new piece of birch plywood instead for the tops, and if so has anyone taken the tops of the LaScala cabinents apart?

c) What's the special (if anything) about "Alniko driver magnetics"?

d) I thought the horns K-33-E were stock for LaScalas, I wonder why I have K-55-Ms?

Thanks

Dave

post-15223-13819259148254_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

You got a nice deal. I can answer a couple of your questions, and others will jump in with the other answers.

a. The birch pair were built in 1986, I don't know about the pro date, but the AA crossover was used until 1983 on the no pro LaScala.

b. If you want to keep the wood finish, I would patch (plug) the holes and re veneer the top and sides. If you want a black finish to match the pro, patch the hole and fill all the other bad spots (bondo) can be used, and paint.

c. I can't remember why alnico magnets are special.

d. The K-33's are the woofer drivers, and the K-55's are for the midrange. the pro LaScala should have a K-43 woofer, which will handle more power, but won't go as low in freqency as the K-33.

Good luck with your project. Post pictures as you go.

----------------

On 10/31/2004 9:17:59 PM kilowattski wrote:

Are you sure that bondo can be used on the speaker cabinent? I've never used bondo for wood...

Thanks

Dave

----------------

Yes you can use it to fill and smooth out the surface if you are going to re-veneer or paint. Congrats on the acquisition. Read the thread referenced below:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=47826&sessionID={0ACAC860-FB07-48D1-9255-2AB8959166E8}

The transition from Type AA to Type AL occurred between 1981 and 1982. My La Scalas were one of each year and one of each crossover type and squawker.

We all have our preferences, but the Type AL was the most dismal crossover ever put in a La Scala. For your front array you will want all 3 speakers to match. You should choose a configuration and make them all match. If you sell the K-43 woofer from the pro La Scala on ebay, you will likely get enough money to buy a K-33-E and a K-55-M driver, too. Then, you need to look for Type AL-3 networks, or buy/build any of the notable networks discussed here. I am a fan of Al Klappenberger's and the Type AA, if built with new premium components.

I agree with John, your 86 ALs will likely need to be upgraded; I just went down this path with my 84 AL crossovers. I put in ALK kit's and wow what a difference. I have never heard the hot rodded or rebuilt A or AAs but I have heard very good things about them. There are a number of folks here who can help you with this. DeanG, John Warren, Bob Crites (BEC) and Al Klappenberger to name a few. All of these folks produce an excellent product and I highly recommend the ALK, whether you DIY, build them from kits or buy them straight from Al.