La Scalla speaker placement

Andrews6

I have a pair of La Scallas and am building a dedictated Dolby 7.1 theater room.

Can anyone please give me some advice on where the La Scallas should be placed as the front mains.

The room is 16ft wide (where the screen will be placed) and 23ft long.

I am being told by the installers to place the la scallas in a foot or so from each side wall and tilt them in at an angle but I thought the horn loaded speakers should be placed in the corners to extend the horn response and be placed flush against the side and back walls.

The speakers will be built into cabinets which are being designed now so I need to know now rather than having the luxury of testing and rearranging later.

Does it make any difference?

Any advice would be appreciated.

----------------

On 10/31/2004 9:32:13 PM Andrews6 wrote:

I have a pair of La Scallas and am building a dedictated Dolby 7.1 theater room.

Can anyone please give me some advice on where the La Scallas should be placed as the front mains.

The room is 16ft wide (where the screen will be placed) and 23ft long.

I am being told by the installers to place the la scallas in a foot or so from each side wall and tilt them in at an angle but I thought the horn loaded speakers should be placed in the corners to extend the horn response and be placed flush against the side and back walls.

The speakers will be built into cabinets which are being designed now so I need to know now rather than having the luxury of testing and rearranging later.

Does it make any difference?

Any advice would be appreciated.

----------------

Since you are using La Scala's you can place them as recommended. I do something similar to that with mine absent placing them in a cabinet. La Scala's like most "Heritage" can be placed in a corner to re-enforce the bass. Only the Klipschorn requires it. The purpose for the dual folded horn is to allow for placement flexibility. Putting them in corners will stiffen the bass a bit but it is not required. If you are planning on using them in an HT environment you will seriously want to look into a sub for the lower bass frequencies as your La Scala's will roll off in the 50 hz range

Congrats on your LS purchase- they're bulletproof!

Agree with corner placement for base reinforcement. You may wish to pull them in from the side walls slightly- experimentation is the key word. Toe-in does two things, it aims the 'beaminess' of the horns at your primary listening location but most importantly it keeps the sound from the horns from bouncing off the side walls immediately after leaving the speaker. This reduces early reflections and helps to sharpen the sound.

There won't be much difference in sound between one foot off the walls and against the walls in the corners. La Scalas may measure better fully in the corner. Since you will have subwoofers, few singles will be loud enough, you can compensate for any bass lost on the bottom from not pushing them back into the corners.

You should toe-in the mains, though.

Sixteen feet apart is a little close. You may not like it. Mine are along an 18' wall and I now wish for a bigger room.

----------------

On 11/1/2004 3:24:00 PM psg wrote:

Sixteen feet apart is a little close. You may not like it. Mine are along an 18' wall and I now wish for a bigger room.

Wow, and mine are on an 11' wall!

----------------

Yeah I know what ya mean mine are on about 12 ft span, but to me they image well near field. I'd like to push them out to the full room width (appx 19 ft) but the room is kind of odd and will not accomodate this.

My HT has almost identical dimentions to yours. I have my Belles very near the corners and toed in. I found after much experimentation that toe in is critical to get really good imaging and soundstage. I know you will enjoy your La Scalas.

If you click on "my gear", you will see my set up. I once put my La Scalas in place of the Belles just for fun and boy did they sound good!