Connecting Speaker Wires

I am trying to figure out the best way to attach 12 g wire to my speakers. They don't appear to have big enough holes in the wire terminal ends to accept banana jacks, there is only a small drilled hole through the stud to tighten the nut down onto, and there isn't enough space around the studs to allow spade terminals without some serious bending of the lugs. Ideas?????

p.s. My amp also has these same small crossdrilled holes through the studs, but too small to accept much more than maybe 18/16 g wire? It does appear to accept banana plugs.

BTY... When I got these, they came with Monster speaker wires, though one of the tiny "pins" were broken off the terminations of the wires. I searched around for an appropriately sized insert, found one, installed it, and hooked the system up. Sounded fine, balanced as could be side to side, but knew I was listening to speaks with totally blown woofer surrounds. This weekend, I took out those speaks, replaced em with my KG 4's, using the same wires, and listened for a while. Had my wife listen. Had my neighbor listen. Had a buddy listen both before and after a couple beers. No one, including myslef, could tell which side had the repaired wire. I tried some interesting stuff, theme from 2001 A Space Oddesy, Tubular Bells, etc, maybe it's my ears after being in a garage enviornment for too many years, but I really couldn't tell a differance.

The fix?? Cut the head off a small nail and shoved it down into the wire insulation till it had good contact with the wire itself. So much for the esoteric wire theory? Granted, I'm only using solid state amp at this time, maybe tube would make it more discernable, but I'm still sticking to my guns that wire is wire, until my ears or someones math can show me different. 11.gif

----------------

On 11/1/2004 9:32:02 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Oughta work just fine. Wire upgrades are about the worst in bang for the buck category.
----------------

Yep. It's sickening to see people pay as much for wires as they did for speakers.

John

• Like 1

----------------

On 11/1/2004 10:42:26 PM garymd wrote:

Try not to hook the wire around the terminal. Keep the end straight and slide it in one side of the screw and tighten. Not the best solution but its worked for me in the past.

----------------

Gary, I'm interested in your observation here.

I know it is difficult to connect in this manner, but what is the downside of hooking the wire around the terminal. You mean, do not hook around the screw?

----------------

On 11/1/2004 9:10:24 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

...but I'm still sticking to my guns that wire is wire, until my ears or someones math can show me different.
11.gif

----------------

I'm with you on that one... I'd rather put my hard earned dollars into new CD's.

Well, I didn't really intend to start a just another thread on the merits or lack thereof of high end speaker wire. I was more interested in how to get this big wire solidly connected to the speakers when the end of the wire is broken off, the thin tip part. I don't like the idea of just shoving the nail in there and leaving it, there are black and red plastic end caps on the wire ends I'd have to take off to solder the nail in place, and, basically, I don't like the idea of having a large gauge wire with a small terminal on the end, to me it defeats the idea behind having the large wire in the first place. Like having a 6 lane highway, but it goes down to one lane every time it goes under a bridge. I mean, these tips are about the size of the wire used in a large paper clip, and inserted into the end of a 12 gauge wire. Makes no sense to me.

I'd posted this question under a different thread name, but only had like 3 views in a couple hours, so made up this one. CaptnBob replied to the other one though, with what I thought was a simple, yet logical answer: replace the terminals on the speakers. That way I could get some good banana plugs installed and not worry about it.

----------------

On 11/1/2004 11:19:51 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

----------------

On 11/1/2004 10:42:26 PM garymd wrote:

Try not to hook the wire around the terminal. Keep the end straight and slide it in one side of the screw and tighten. Not the best solution but its worked for me in the past.

----------------

Gary, I'm interested in your observation here.

I know it is difficult to connect in this manner, but what is the downside of hooking the wire around the terminal. You mean, do not hook around the screw?

----------------

Dee,

No downside to hooking around the terminal. It's actually better than what I was describing. Sometimes it just won't fit that way. It's easier to just straigten the end of the wire, shove it between the screw and the side of the terminal strip and tighten. I figure if there's a tight connection to any part of the screw, you're good to go.

I replaced all my wiring on my Klipschorns which entailed soldering 12 gauge to the speaker posts. If you are interested to hear how I was able to do this let me know. My problem was the same small hole no waay to connect. I also replaced the terminal to these which accept heavy gauge wire. Not to difficult.