Is a Denon 3802 too much for my KG4's

christjared

I've got a Denon 2802 and have powered both of my Kg 5.5's and 3.5's with it. alhtough I use it primarily for my home theater rig, it's an excellent modern ss receiver within its price range. I'm not even close to being an expert here, but I don't think it wil overpower your KG4's at all. The extra headroom with the higher wattage should not hurt your listening pleasure at lower volumnes. Many here find the Denon's a good match with Klipsch.

My brother on whim decided to test out the Denon 3803 which is a replacement for the 3802 for his KG 5.5's and OMG it sounded horrible!!! The highs were piercing like an Ice pick through your skull, we turned the treble down to the -6 number as low as it will go and it still on music and movies had a edginess to the highs and mids, the bass was mediocre at best and flat and that is with +10 on the bass. It did not go well at all, we have a Scott 229-C integrated tube amp that we are using rebuilt by NOS valves and it sounds superb, clear and smooth highs, nice midrange with tons of low clean bass! The music is alot richer, movies sound way better!! I would not power these klipsch speakers with modern SS HT junk!!!

If you are looking to just do 2 channel, I would highly suggest that you find yourself a 2 channel receiver. When shopping for my budget system (for my KG4s) I went to a store and A/B'ed a 380"x" (cant remember if it was a 2, 3, or 4) against a Denon DRA-295, 395, and 685, they are Denon's current 2 channel units. Using the same speakers, volume level, and CD player, even the cheapest DRA (the 295) sounded much better than the MultiChannel receiver running in Stereo mode. The DRAs just had a bigger soundstage, more bass, and overall musicality. The MultiChannel receiver's stereo mode was just bland. In the end I went for a Denon DRA-835r, a model from the early '90s that last retailed for $800. These are awesome recievers from a time when Denon still cared about stereo - a lot. They pop up on Ebay occasionally, along with the DRA-825, and DRA-1025. I got the 835 off Audiogon for $150 in perfect conditition, and will more than likely put Denon's new DRAs to shame as well, though I have never directly compared. One thing is for sure, my KG4s like my 835 as do my ears.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...