Looking for DTS DVD (audio) recommendations

Mr_Ratt

I currently own two DTS DVD video discs: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over and Sheryl Crow - Rockin The Globe.

Everyone (it seems) already knows the Eagles dvd is one impressive piece of work. I've dropped the jaws of quite a few listeners with the Eagles bonus track. The Sheryl Crow isn't bad in DTS but nowhere near Eagles quality.

I've done a board search and seen recommendations of James Taylor @ Beacon, Yes @ House of Blues and Don Henley. Are any of these dvd's in the same quality class as Eagles?

Anyone have any other DTS (or DD I suppose) video dvd's that really show off the HT setup? I'd love to get some DTS classical if it exists.

And finally are there any good DTS/DD audio review sites out there? I seemed to only find dtstech.com in my searches the last time I checked.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3's,RC-3,RS-3's

Paradigm PW-2200

NAD T761 Receiver

Pioneer Elite C36

yes@h.o.b. is incredible!! got up off the couch to applaud! john fogerty-premonitions is a good one,both in dd, not dts. glad to see so many supporters/fans of the dts format. check out some dts audio cd's too.yes@h.o.b. was on the 'freeview' hd directv channel,the video is exceptional, and w/my system as it is it sounds like you're there. this post reminds me i still need to buy a copy,goin' to do it today! jt@beacon is really good audio and video as well. enjoy!avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I have many dts cd's and dvd audio discs. I mainly buy all mine at www.dvdplanet.com (there is a dvd audio link on the home page) and www.amazon.com just added a dvd audio section this month!

I have all types of music and the tops for dts surround sound would be these:

1. Steely Dan - Two against nature

2. Steve Stevens - Flamingo a go go (Bill Idols guitar player. This is an all electric guitar cd)

3. Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee

4. Brian Wilsons - Imagination (from the Beach Boys. great sound with a variety of musical instruments. My wife loves this cd)

5.Any of the Stings cd's

Eagles - Hell freezes over

It looks like DTS is moving all of its DTS cd's to DTS dvd audio. So when you order a dvd audio that has DTS on it you can play it on any dvd player. These truely rock my Klipsch and You will enjoy them again and again.

Try and of the dvd audio titles I have listed. They will amaze you on sound.

------------------

Troy...

I forgot to mention dvd audio titles are sold at all Best Buys and Sam Goody stores. Best Buy has them in the dvd music disc area. Sam Goody stores have them in a special dvd audio section and growing everyday. Little more spend at Sam Goody.

Enjoy...

------------------

Troy...

Thanks for the info Troy.And the links.Couldn't get any personal recommendations,or otherwise,from the board members here regarding DVD-Audio,so I went ahead and bought a player.Now I need the software.Thanks again.

Keith

keith, i myself haven't looked into those special dvd-audio players yet. may have to look at a mating marantz dvdp w/ MLP Lossless that'll play dvd-audio, sacd, cd-r unlike my current sony dvp-C650D. don't think marantz even has that yet let alone for under $1k(?) Biggrin.gif

saw one advertising 100khz output! let us know if that affects the dog any Biggrin.gif seriously though, hear the sound is much more dynamic & amazing.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-06-2001 at 02:22 PM

I'm a bit confused...will any of these formats(other than dvd video, and of course cd's) work with regular old dvd players(Pioneer DV-525)? It'd be nice to know before going out to shop for software.

fini

Thanks for the DVD-A tips.

fini,don't know about your particular model,but unless it has 5.1 outputs for DVD-Audio I doubt it will play DVD-Audio discs.

Boa,haven't checked on Marantz but as I said previously I needed a new CD player,as the Laser Disc player is aging,and I needed a DVD player so I decided to go with the Denon DVD-3300 DVD-Audio player.I like to give a boost to new formats when possible and for the price made the move.They have been going for $349 to $449 on U-Bid lately(if people are patient you'll get a good price)which is competitive with lesser quality DVD players.I'll give an honest review of DVD-Audio when I get it going.

K-Daddy, "A" what?

Keith

Dvd audio players can be had for $300. Check out the new Toshiba progressive scan dvd players with dvd audio coming out in September. www.toshiba.com models sd4700 and sd5700. These will be HOT! a top performing dvd player and dvd auido player.

A note on the dvd audio discs. All dvd audio discs will play on your existing dvd player but to get true high resolution sound you must have an actual dvd audio player with 5.1 analog outputs and a receiver that accepts an anolog 5.1 input. Whats nice is you can look for dvd audio titles with DTS logo on them which will give you full DTS 5.1 surround sound on your standard dvd player which the dts sound is very close to the high resolution dvd audio track on the same dvd. So you can buy the music discs now and play them on your rrent dvd player in DTS and add a dvd audio player in the future.

Of course you must have a dts decoder. So if you buy any dvd audio titles without DTS on them, your standard dvd player will play them in stereo only.

Troy

------------------

Troy...

just an fyi on the tech poop, i looked into it at www.dolby.com & they were saying the player has to have an MLP Lossless decoder to get that true dvd-audio playback.

so my sony dvdp & marantz do have the 5.1 outputs & inputs, but apparently i'm less MLP Lossless Frown.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-07-2001 at 05:34 PM

almost bought a 'sting' dvd- finally bought yes@h.o.blues after raving about it-went'cross-town to get a copy-only to find it was d-fective(FIRST time i've encountered that problem!)swapped it out for another copy.(first heard it on a netflix rental)...got supernatural live by c. santana. exersised 'self-control' and refused to buy more than two dvd's at a time, but i'd like to get a sting dvd-any recommendations? b.t.w.-shouldn't we be posting in the 'lonely'dvd area of this bb?

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks for the links Troy.

And another thing.If you surf around looking for audiophile reviews of the Denon DVD3300 you will find many scholars complaining about what the DVD3300 will not do.I have found that it also will not play VHS tapes or cassettes.Check out the link below to find out what it will do.

www.denon.com

Keith