Nasty "s" sound

ken kaz

----------------

On 11/15/2004 9:24:17 PM Jack Daniels wrote:

----------------

On 11/15/2004 7:57:32 PM rf3iicrazy wrote:

"Sometimes it is just in the recording. Whether due to close miking, the recording studio or the producer, it's there."

I hear this at its worst on Foreigners "Cold as Ice".

You're as cold a icesssssssssssss
8.gif

Tom

----------------

33 1/3 or compact disc? I have the LP, and that song is very shrill.

The later Foreigner LP's were recorded better, especially "4", which has "Urgent" on it.

-JD

----------------

I have versions of this song on vinyl, CD and now ripped to MP3 and have listened to it on 4 systems of my own. The sssssss is in the recording - I am listening to it now on the Stax - and they are as non sibilant as any speaker (or headphone) I have come across.

I've got Khorns with ALK xovers and updated tweeters with a Blueberry preamp and 2A3 PP Wright Mono 10s in one system and Heresys with rebuilt xovers,modded Jolida 302B and a Bottlehead Foreplay for the other in a neutral room and a bad recording still sounds bad.

Like Dodger said sometimes the producer gets an idea. It may sound good to him with his impaired hearing and sound OK on a boombox or car system, but in a quality home system, UGLY!!!6.gif

Rick

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:20:47 AM djk wrote:

"It may be clipping."

A M1.5T ???

On program material it clips at 750W per channel at 8 ohms.

If it is louder than 130dB and the led marked 'headroom exhausted' is lit, it is clippimg.

----------------

Please note I said may be. Clipping can occur long before the rated power for amplifier or speakers. With Computer, it can vary.

Also, Klipsch Speakers are not designed for and should not be subjected to that amount of power. Warranties are void at that point. And yes, Speakers can clip, some refer to it as distortion, some as over-driving - a 10 watt amplifier can produce a number of times those 10 watts on a distorted frequency, let alone 750 watts. We look at these problems as we treat them.

Picture a party, or a yougster able to reach the volume control, turning it up, then the owner turns on the unit - too much volume. OR an amplifier starting to go bad may clip well before its rated power.

There are quite a number of variables. IF the problem only shows when played loudly, the "nasty s problem" may well be speakers unable to handle the load and the tweeters are fired or an electronics problem. The "nasty s" should show during lower volume levels also.

An S if overdone should be apparent moreso at lower volume levels, due to less background blur or load on the Speakers.

As I do know Lou, from the 1970s and he used his full last name. The group as stated was Black Sheep. Also his Mother, who was a Volunteer at one of our local hospitals for years, and have worked with him, I also know that he will accentuate one time then decide not another.

Yes, it is mostly the artist/recording, but if Vinyl it can be mis-tracking or it can be clipping when one electronic source is feeding too much power to another electronic source.

We are at the diagnosis point and do not have all needed information.

dodger

----------------

On 11/15/2004 5:25:52 PM sivadselim wrote:

room treatment

----------------

I would go with the above recommendation.

Try this to make sure:

change the angle of toe-in on the speakers. If the sibilance changes (i.e., lessens) then the room is the culprit. I've found that the "blending" of the 2 different stereo polar patterns coming from speakers can set up frequency modes that accentuate sibilance.

DM2.gif

"I've got Khorns with ALK xovers and updated tweeters with a Blueberry preamp and 2A3 PP Wright Mono 10s in one system and Heresys with rebuilt xovers, modded Jolida 302B and a Bottlehead Foreplay for the other in a neutral room and a bad recording still sounds bad."

I've got Klipschorns with stock AK-4 xovers and stock tweeters with a Peach linestage and KT-88 PP QUAD monoblocks in a room the size of a sardine can and bad recordings sound great.9.gif

----------------

On 11/15/2004 10:46:09 PM garymd wrote:

Diana Krall, Lets Face The Music And Dance has that problem. Also, some of Eva Cassidy's recordings. I think they're mic'd too close. Updating the crossovers in my khorns made a significant improvement and smoothed out the midrange compared to my corns and heresys.

----------------

Definitely true! Mic'd way too close, too. Gives me the impression of a giant singing face between the speakers, like a too-close-up on a big screen tv, which I also dislike.

If you want sibilance, check out any of Micheal McDonald (Doobie Bros. fame) - that dude is rough on a mic, for sure! Even his T's turn into S's...

DM2.gif