FS: Genuine ALK "B" networks

rasp

I was one of the few people to get a genuine pair of ALK "B" networks built by Al himself. I bought them for a pair of cornwalls which I have now sold.

There is a little bit of a history here that Al can confirm (and I have all testing documentation).

I bought the networks from Al, but honestly it wasn't the sound I was looking for. Looking back, I believe that probably because I already had a tube amp and tube based CD player my sound was already pretty soft and Al's networks smoothed them out to a point where I didn't care for it. I spoke with him and agreed to return them under his generous return policy.

While being shipped back to him, they were damaged in transit. Some of the components came off of their board and one of the boards had a tiny chip in it. Al advised me to declare them a total loss. I contacted the shipper, but I had been away at a conference and then off on christmas break and by the time I contacted them it was outside of their window for filing a claim. Al volunteered to repair and retest them and return them to me which just yet again shows what sort of guy he is. The repairs put them back to original condition and the only evidence something happened is the tiny (like smaller than your pinky nail) chip on one of the boards. He re-tested them and the results are identical to the original. This was probably 2-3 years ago.

I paid $450 for them (I think) and will let them go in this forum for $300. otherwise, they are headed to eBay.

http://www.alkeng.com/bocomnt.html

Guys,

For what it's worth, his story is 100% true. The shiper was Airborne Express. Avod them! The damage was casued by impact which jared the big coils loose and into the other parts. All I had to do was push them back into their proper positions. That involved removing a few screws, but that's about all. The remaining scratches in the wood made them unsuitable for resale though. He paid $550 for them.

Al K.

You don't know how much I appreciate the PIC. I know when I eventually upgrade my scala networks and caulk my horns, I am going to have a ton of pictures with descriptions. There are some smart/experienced people on this forum and sometimes their verbal description can't be visualized by a Newb.

Let me ask you this.....Would I be able to Caulk my horns on My scalas w/o having to remove the drivers. I see that there is no top on your speaker. I would rather not have to do this. I was hoping I could get my big arm in the mid/high compartment to do this. Preferably during the exchange of a network.

I don't plan on messing with the woofer. In fact, I don't have a good image in my mind how that woofer sits in the bass bin.

jc

JC, That picture was taken while I had my Khorns apart so I could veneer them. I did my Lascala with the driver and horn still installed without a problem. I used asphaltic sound dampening material on that though not rope caulk because that was what I had in the house.

I have to order some more from Parts Express as I want to damp the inside of the top and sides of the top. I intend to put some nice figured black walnut veneer on it, brace the LF section and put a Belle style grill on the lower part, the top has one now. Then, all I will need is the money to build my music room addition!3.gif

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 11/16/2004 3:12:46 PM rasp wrote:

There is a little bit of a history here that Al can confirm (and I have all testing documentation).

I bought the networks from Al, but honestly it wasn't the sound I was looking for.

RASP:

I received the Crossovers 1.gif , thank you. When you come across the test documentation, please mail it to me. Thanx again....

Kind Regards,

Gilbert