Allan Songer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/19/2004 5:39:09 PM neo33 wrote:

I am astonished at your level of intelligent, Nick...

----------------

Just a guess, but I think you meant "intelligence?" And just for your personal education, name-calling is when I replace your name with a vulgar or derogatory word, object, animal, or the like, and not at your "response." Please brush up on Comebacks 101 before you attempt any more.

Neo, good points for those of us who are non believers. Cables do make a small difference in my opinion but I believe a $5 dollar pair has just as good a chance of sounding better with any given system than an $11,000 dollar pair. From my understanding it is about real differences in impedance and other such vagaries that match or complement your amps and pre's. This is just my opinion and I would not buy an $11,000 dollars pair of wires unless there was an extremely attractive female attached to one end even if I were Bill Gates. And maybe not then, depends on the baggage attached.

There is no way everyone is going to agree on this,duh,I'm stating the obvious that means that the Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing is fogging my mind, and it is fine!

Randy

edit, the toshiba just bit the dust,cheap ba*tard

i work in the A/V industry and i do know that good cable definately makes a difference, especially over distance. but $11K is just a joke pure and simple. there is no way in hell that 11 grand worth of R&D, manufacturing, and materials went into any speaker wire. i am all for spending money on good cabling, but i would never dream of spending more than a few hundred on an pair of interconnects unless i had a super-expensive setup. im talking in 6-figures range, even then it would be hard to justify.

but i guess the point is, if i were absurdly rich, id spend a pretty penny making sure i had the best money can buy. weather a cable is worth $11k or not i guess is relative to the cost of the rest of your setup. when you spend 250 grand on a 2-channel setup, 11k is a drop in the bucket.

Greetings:

An example of what the "rich and wealthy" spend their money on can be seen if you watch "The Apprentice."

When they have shown the "Applicants" going to Mr. Trump's Penthouse all you see is cold, expensive and ludicrous.

As a reward for beating the other team, the winning team was given a Caviar party, complete with Dom Peringnon (sp?) Champagne.

I have also driven by Mr. Trump's Florida Estate. Huge, more rooms than could ever be used.

I would bet that IF he had a system, it would be the absolute best that money could buy. How good would it sound - I have no answer.

I used to get the annual "Audio" Directory of Components. I would then look through and total the highest price Components. My pricing did NOT include Speaker Cables or Interconnects. But, the total would exceed $100,000.00.

Why ? Because there were fools that would pay that amount. I would hazard a guess that they did NOT use the Interconnects that came with the units. Nor did they just pay $5.00 per foot Speaker Cable.

There is one Company that I know of whose Speaker Cable IS $5.00 per foot. The cost to the Dealer: $0.55 per foot. Nice profit.

If you have NOS unused Genalex KT-88s more than likely the highest price you could get selling them wholesale may be $75.00 per tube that would be sold for $250.00 or more.

As P.T. Barnum would say, "there's a sucker born every minute."

dodger

EDIT:

Do people really need a $40,000.00 + Hummer or a $100,000.00 + Rolls Royce. I get to where I need to go in a 20 year old, that looks like it came out of the showroom, Toyota Pickup. Sur some vehicles are smoother riding, quiter - but at the cost of $175.00 I have an extremely quiet truck, figuring the asphalt laded "Q" pads, carpet and undercoating.

As a question, do we really think that we would have the person who spends $11,00.00 for Cables HERE, on the Forum? I doubt it.

Money is relative - the more you have, usually the more you spend. Is a dinner that costs $400.00 for 2 people going to be that much better than going to a good Restaurant where you could get virtually the same for $175.00?

As they would say on TV, "Give me a break." My thanks to John Stocil (sp?) Who spends $1000.00 a night for a Hotel Room on this Forum? Not including food, tax, tip or stolen bathrobes?

END EDIT

----------------

On 11/19/2004 8:31:59 PM dodger wrote:

There is one Company that I know of whose Speaker Cable IS $5.00 per foot. The cost to the Dealer: $0.55 per foot. Nice profit.

----------------

Cable in the audiophile world is like diamonds in the real world. The mark up is astronomical and affordable only to the rich and or the insecure.

"And just for your personal education, name-calling is when I replace your name with a vulgar or derogatory word, object, animal, or the like, and not at your "response.""

How uneducated of me to think that such "degatory" remark ("Neo, your retarded response") is the same as name-calling. Of course you do understand that my intellectual level is not nearly as high as you to know how to form a response that will not make people misunderstood no matter what their education level is.