Killer deal on phono cable!! Hurry!

Allan Songer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been proven that electrons can distiguish the different between a Blue Note and an 18.55 grams LP!

But then there are scammers and scammers' scammers and scammers' scammers' scammers...well, you get the idea!

"If I could afford to, I would too. If you could afford it, you would too."

Nonsense!!

I will pay as much or more than I can realistically afford for quality audio components that have any real potential to improve my listening experience but I will not pay stupidly expensive prices for components that have zero capability to improve the sound of my equipment. At the risk of being branded a Luddite:

Comes the day that electrons are able to recognise the difference between cheap wires and exotic wires I will reconsider my stance.

I do not believe that a higher price necessarily translates into a higher quality

product.( OTOH Blose has done well with that myth!! ).

"Realistically afford" being the key words there, Lynnm.

So again, I repeat, if you could afford it, as in $11K was no object to you, you would too. Kid yourself all you want, in your heart of heart's, you know it's true. I'll use this quote to illustrate my point...

"No matter how many times a man says money cannot buy happiness, he is always willing to give it a second try."

In other words, we all say one thing, but underneath it all lies a very universal and undeniable truth.

How could you, no matter how much money you have, look another member of this forum straight in the eye and say,"I paid 11 grand for a set of cables".

How do you explain it?

Do you really believe you can hear the difference between a $5000 cable and a $10,000 cable? Maybe there is a difference. Maybe. But can you really hear it?

Folks, anything above $200 dollars for a set of cables makes my head swim. But I would and have paid that much for a record or a concert ticket. There is no theory to that.

I understand that some hear have paid a great deal of money for cable, $2000 or so. But to this forum member $11,000 is just plain ole crazy IMHO.

----------------

On 11/19/2004 3:15:03 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

How could you, no matter how much money you have, look another member of this forum straight in the eye and say,"I paid 11 grand for a set of cables".

How do you explain it?

----------------

Easy. I'd do just that. If I had $11,000 to spend on a cable, I would have it, and I would look you dead straight center in the eye and say, "I paid 11 grand for a set of cables." And you'd laugh, and I'd shrug, and we'd both go home. Only I'd return to my dream system, and you'd be convincing yourself that you're not jealous on the drive back.

The reason there's a market for this is because there is a small percentage of individuals who love audio like we do, only they have gobs more expendable income. And if any of us are lucky enough to ever reach that point in life, I think you would then too hearken back to present day, and consider how what you said should thoroughly be taken with a grain of salt, along with the $5000 cracker and caviar you'd be munching on.

In fact, should anyone on this forum comes down to Los Angeles, I'll offer you to come to my place, sit down in my listening chair, and I'll swap out my $100/pair speaker cables, my $200/pair speaker cables, and my $2100/pair speaker cables as many times as you like. Because there is no way you'll come away thinking the latter does not sound the best. How much better, I cannot say. But the fact that they DO, is my point.

I think I am with Nicholti on this one. If you have the money AND you believe such a cable will add materially to your listening pleasure then why not.

I am one of those who does believe that cables make a difference - I have heard it enough times to satisfy my own need to test that belief out.

However, I also believe that it is the synergy of all components in a system - rather than merely the price of the individual components that makes the difference. Again something I have heard enough times to justify to myself.

What is more interesting, in a way, is that we (the people on this forum as much as anything else) measure investment in $ terms and not in terms of time.

I may make fun of Tony on a regular basis for what I consider over-spending on his system(s) but in reality I have spend hundreds, if not thousands, more hours tweaking my system than he has. He spends - I play, test, investigate - call it what you will - but even with a very moderate $ allocation per hour of my time our investments are really similar.

It is fully possible that those cables could be the finishing element to a system that takes it from a superb system to a supreme system for the owner.

If that joy carries on for another 5 years maybe the extra $1000 per year isnt that much for the return.

Think about this:

20 years ago would we have thought about paying:

$10,000 for an Amplifier

$350 per foot for any cable - speaker or Interconnect

$250.00 per NOS KT-88

$20,00 and up for any pair of Speakers

40 years ago would we have even dreamed that Interconnects or Speaker cable make any difference

Would we have gold plated input or output terminals

It's the old saying: "tell a lie often enough and you will begin to believe it."

Some people HAVE to have what is considered the very best. To them Money, Logic and Fact mean Nothing. They want bragging rights.

WE can say that we would not pay that much, but most of us are somewhere in the middle class. We research, we listen, we look at how much improvement we get for our dollar. WE set a limit on improvement vs cost - because we are not rich.

We are rich in the support from this Forum. We are rich from the friends - real person or cyber that we have.

We don't just drop in to a store and say give me your best - because we know that we will get shafted.

Just my 2 cents.

dodger