Using mono integrated amps in a 2 channel setup

fini

I see a fair number of vintage integrated mono amps on eBay, and I've been wondering about the feasability of using these in pairs in a 2-channel situation. Aside from the inherent problems with vintage gear (needing old caps 'n' such changed, etc. I'm guessing that there is enough variation from amp to amp (of a particular model) that getting and keeping them sounding identical would be a big issue. Would there be a simple and clean way to control the volume for both?

fini,

If you had two of the same model, I don't see why you couldn't feed them with a single preamp. Maybe even a passive, so you had a single volume control.

Some even like the idea of a separate volume control for each channel, which would be what you would have with the separates.

I have read that the Eico HF-12 integrated can be used as a mono amp by using the TAPE OUT jack as an AMP IN. I am experimenting with a pair of these right now, hooking them up to my newly acquired Dynaco PAS3. There is a loud screech from one of the amps and I am trying to track down the problem. (Waiting for tubes to cool.)

"I have read that the Eico HF-12 integrated can be used as a mono amp by using the TAPE OUT jack as an AMP IN. I am experimenting with a pair of these right now, hooking them up to my newly acquired Dynaco PAS3. There is a loud screech from one of the amps and I am trying to track down the problem."

*I did the same thing. Except the Eico HF-12's I had were converted into power amps.

I used a CD player's volume pot for some time, then a stepped attenuator.

When you input through the "Tape Out" jacks with the HF-12.

You are shorting yourself 20 microfarad from the power supply cap.

If you look at the schematic, you'll see.

Than will make the amp sound more thin than if just used as a integrated amp.

More filtering helps that.

Besides, that screeching you just mentioned is more than likely a dead power supply cap.

Just watch those mono PA amps, Fini.

Some of the output iron on those things are only rated for speech related bandwidth for public address.

It could be fine for a guitar amp, but not audio.