Bottom fireing sub question.

Hardhitter

I don't have a sub to compare with most of your SVS and RSW's that everyone brags about. But for now I have a an older KSW15 bottom fireing sub. I have noticed that most of the new subs have gotten away from this design. I was told that I could place a solid surface under my sub, which is currently fireing into carpet, to maximise the output. A friend of mine has the same sub on hardwood floors, and he has alot more punch than I have out of the same size room. Do you think that putting a solid surface under it would help?

Dave

----------------

On 11/20/2004 11:53:32 PM Scp53 wrote:

yes it would help. that carpet sucks up the sound and a hard surface reflects

scp53

----------------

Carpets "suck" bass waves! 6.gif LOL

Please,we are talking about SUBWOOFING here.

In the range most subs operate(80Hz and below) a carpet will not absorb much.

----------------

On 11/21/2004 12:15:28 AM TheEAR wrote:

In the range most subs operate(80Hz and below) a carpet will not absorb much.

----------------

Yeah... the absorbent material would have to be much thicker to effect the sub's bass... we we are talking feet thick versus fractions of an inch.

----------------

On 11/20/2004 1:03:46 PM Hardhitter wrote:

A friend of mine has the same sub on hardwood floors, and he has alot more punch than I have out of the same size room.

----------------

As you may already know, bass waves are highly affected by the room in which they are produced. It's not unusual to see room effects in the ±15db range.

My guess of what is happening in your room versus your friend's is all a question of sub and listener placement. You may be sitting in a null... so as a starter, you should experiment with sub placement. There is the popular trick (mentioned even in most user manuals) is to place the sub where you will sit, nd listen all around the room for the spot which is sounds the best. Then flip you and your sub around (sub in the newly found spot) and you back in your chair. Some simple test tones would give a better idea of what is happening.

BTW, most SVS and HSU are bottom firing. The direction of the woofer doesn't change performance if the driver's suspension is designed for it.

Good luck...

Rob

I am going to try the simple test that you mentioned. Mabey it is just where I have it placed. It sounds and feels great where it is, I am just looking for a little more, without spending any more money, (until after Christmas!!). You are probably right about the hardwood, but I HATE carpet! And I had read a report on electronics and carpet. BAD BAD BAD. I am in the flooring business, so we get all sorts of propaganda reports form diff. hard surface companies. Carpet generates so much airborn dust that they claim that you can shorten the life of equipment. But sound is what matters to me. So no wood it is.

Thanks guys

Dave

Though the actual sound coming from the driver may not be affected by the carpet, the cabinet itself is resting on the carpet...You may experience much improved bass by adding spikes or feet to your subwoofer. This helps the sub couple to the floor which effectively reduces cabinet vibration; which increases overall output.

An alternative to adding spikes or feet is to purchase a 1'x1' piece of stone like you'll find in the gardening sections of Home Depot. Placing your sub on something like this is like placing it on a wood floor and the cost would by relatively low to try it out (and if you don't think it does anything, put the stones outsie or something). There is a fellow board member who just posted saying that his stone thing (dunno what to call it) also acts a good barrier for when his wife is vacuuming the floor...

As far as woodfloors go, my experience has always been that they are better for the sound. Go to any of the hardcore studios and you'll see hardwood floor around the main listening position. Yes, there are some studios that will do carpet in the back of the room. If you're in a room with a wood floor and you find that it's too "live" (isn't live what we're after?), then you can always go with some acoustical treatments. When done right, acoustically treating your room will also improve your bass response, and it can be done well for well under $500. For what it's worth, we had carpet in our HT and when we converted the whole house to hardwood floor, our HT sounded immensly better. One thing I've notice over time is that well finished hardwood floors sound better than older worn out floors. I think it has to do with the smooth surface versus bumpy with lots of cracks.

Here's a great site with acoustics info...don't forget to check out the architectural forum http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html