Not audio but this is my money pit for now!

Cal Blacksmith

Ok, there is no audio involved in this with the exception for a "shop system" that will be installed later, but I have droped about $70,000 so far with a little more to go.

This is where I am going to be "plying my trade" if you will, after I retire from Aerospace. Quite a commute don't you think? 30 feet out the back door and I am at work9.gif Lots of earth moving, time and effort has gone into this project not to mention, living 15 years on the property with this dream in mind the whole time.

So it is not audio, not everything in the world is (is that heresy?6.gif ) but I am kinda excited about this!

http://www.keenjunk.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10014

----------------

On 11/22/2004 9:24:19 AM fini wrote:

Love the "accident" pictures. Nice yard art!

----------------

Yes, that is the latest scare we have had from our son! It is not our house but is about 3 miles from home. He had insurance for about 15 minutes when he had that accident! He flew off the cliff, into the top of the 5th wheel trailer, pushed that into the house and landed on the car that was parked in front of the trailer. The two cars slid about 40 feet down the driveway and stoped where you see them. The whole thing (due to the age of the vehicles and his vehicle was liability only) came to about $15,000. He had $10,000 insurance (not minimum coverage which is only $5000) His insurance company paid the claim (Geico) once they made sure that the insurance was in place BEFORE the accident. The ins. rep told my son (age 20) that as his car was in his name and that he had no assets to speak of, that the overage probably will just be dropped. It would cost more than that to try to get the money from him and there isn't anything to get anyway. We will see5.gif

----------------

On 11/22/2004 9:31:37 AM mdeneen wrote:

Nice setup! There's nothing quite like walking to work. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I assume the time must be coming soon?

Good Luck!

mdeneen

----------------

[/blockquote

Thanks, I wish, another 15 years if I am lucky enough for Aerospace to survive that long in So. Cal. If everything works out right, all the bills which includes the house and shop, will be paid off and we will only need to pay day to day living expenses and maintaince. If I am out of a job sooner, well, the wifes income from disability and medical retirement will pay for the house payment so I could get by with a lower paying job than what I have now. Not the ideal situation, but doable.

My day job is to make aircraft but I,like my handle or screen name am a blacksmith. No I do not make horse shoes! Fences, gates, handrails, custom work in metal along with some "artiest" as well. I will be teaching blacksmithing starting next year. I am a certified instructor for the C.B.A. California Blacksmith Assoc. and have been teaching at another location for about 4 years.

----------------

On 11/23/2004 9:46:33 AM MagicMtnDan wrote: .........

Where do you work now, Northrop Grumman?

----------------

No, while it lasts, Boeing. It used to be McDonnell Douglas but we were bought out several years ago. I have about 25 years of service with the company at the moment but I am only 48 years old so that is what is holding up the retirement. If I could, I would go out at 30 years but that is not a choice.

Win, Nah you wouldn't hit anything important3.gif The first time you miss your work and hit a good anvil with a hammer and a full swing,.....6.gif6.gif6.gif you DO need to watch out to keep from hitting your head!

And yes it is possible to mess up an anvil, it takes less than you think! They look like just a block of metal but they are actualy refined tools evolved to the form you see today after thousands of years of development. It is funny, to most of the world, a 150 year old item is an antique, to a blacksmith it is just another tool to be used!2.gif

In the words of Monty Python's Michael Palin (dressed as King of England, being pulled about in chariot-like cart)

...." I see, I see, I see, I see, I see, A POWER STATION, is it????"

Good luck in the new venture, I finally understand the gentleman's definition of "Get it hot, hit it hard" , thought we were speaking of something else all this time. Always a beautiful day when you can do what you love!

Michael- who finally figured it out at age 38, earlier than lots, later than some.

Wow, all that looks very familiar to me. I have an Uncle who did the same. He's a retired rodeo clown, Robert "Toad" Cook. After the rodeo years he went into the blacksmith trade. Years ago he did the same as your doing, but after years of working out back it became a problem because he was always at work. People began stopping by all hours of the day & weekends so he could never really get away from work. Now he has a shop in town, away from the house and I believe he likes that better. He now turned his old blacksmith shop into a Harley garage & that has become his new hobby.

So even though you now like the idea of being able to walk to work... be careful so it doesn't become overbearing.