All weather speakers outside over winter?

Sublime40

Bring them in - thwart the rust demon.

In my younger days, I was responsible for the p.a. system at a football field. Atlas, the manufacturer of the horns, assured us they had a "life-time" guarantee. So, we left them out all year round. They began failing after the third year. When we sent them back to Atlas, they sent us a hefty estimate. When I called up to mention the "Lifetime Guarantee," the woman on the other end of the line said, "We consider "lifetime" to be the life of the amplifier, which in our experience, is two to three years."

Which reminds me of when I called Altec's repair department in the early 1970s and was greeted with a cheery "Altec Lansing, where service is just a word we like to use."

Hey Sublime,

welcome to the Forum from another Indy Klipsch owner and lover. Unless yer planning to sweep the snow off the patio to cook the Christmas bird, I'd bring em on in. No use taking chances and the snow and ice here are murder on components as well as cable. Use them in the garage or basement for four months or so.

Michael

Sublime40: Welcome. I always take my outdoor speakers down for the winter and store them in a dry place in our unheated garage. Even though they are built to take weather, I figure with less exposure to sunlight, moisture and dirt, the more years I will get out of them.

I used to bring my Niles OS-20 outdoor speakers in for the winter months but for the last 2 winters they have stayed outside.

This is one of the key reasons I purchased the Niles vs. the Klipsch...the Niles are a sealed speaker.Besides keeping the critters out in the Summer months they keep the moisture/snow/rain/hail/sleet/ out in the Winter.

Besides,nothing is better than listening to your favorite tunes while shoveling 16" of snow here in "lovely" New England2.gif

Jeff

• Klipsch Employees

We leave them out in ALL WEATHER...We have a pr of HS-2's out on a pole in Hope that have been there 4 years. They have oxidized but still play fine. We take them down about every 6 months to see if they are ok.

So far, their still cooking.

We have SA-3's on the outside of the HQ and they will be out all year round. We will see how they fair.

THey are built to take -30 to 150 deg.