My digital is analog/unbelievable sounding

Guest Anonymous

Smilin - I plowed through that thread and I have to admit, I admire your determination. A bit obsessive-compulsive, perhaps, but then I am coming to think that all of us on this audio journey have a bit of the Type A. We all do it certainly, only maybe not on as grand a scale.

One question - are you looking to ever conclude your digital quest? It seems that seeking the top performer from the top performers will never end due to the ever progressing nature of the format(s); it's akin to always having the fastest computer with the most memory. In other words, it seems as though you will require an upgrade every 3 mos.

Or is your pleasure derived from the journey itself? Are you a life long audio bachelor or will you ever settle down?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smilin,

I understand about the formats. I had HDCD on my Cary unit and liked it alot. But the Sony is so much better than I do not miss the Cary at all and sold it.

The XA-777es is NOT the same as the SCD-777es which I own. My is fully modified by Richard Kern. Which also beats the Mitner.

If you have a link from the 2004 VSAC show please post it, I cannot find the info. From what I read, the shootout conditions were less than good.

Keep dreaming? Oh Pleeeze. give me a break.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 1:12:23 PM kev313 wrote:

Smilin - I plowed through that thread and I have to admit, I admire your determination. A bit obsessive-compulsive, perhaps, but then I am coming to think that all of us on this audio journey have a bit of the Type A. We all do it certainly, only maybe not on as grand a scale.

One question - are you looking to ever conclude your digital quest? It seems that seeking the top performer from the top performers will never end due to the ever progressing nature of the format(s); it's akin to always having the fastest computer with the most memory. In other words, it seems as though you will require an upgrade every 3 mos.

Or is your pleasure derived from the journey itself? Are you a life long audio bachelor or will you ever settle down?

Kev, I am very comfortable right now, I think I have established a very good relationship with the modder who is after the same vinyl type sonics as myself. Alex and I talk daily, he is a GREAT engineer, and person. Just a lousy businessman, so I am lending a hand. Only after this type of obsessive/compulsive behavior and self mindf****g in my home with my system, have I been able to determine what sounds best to me. I had to listen to these players on other eq, ie: speakers, amps, pre-amps, ect, to hear the differences of my machines, vs. thiers. I really am happy, right now, with what I have. Of course I still have APL 3910, APL SACD 1000, both of these have internal remote volume controls, and I also have the Exemplar 3910.

----------------

11.gif

I believe in the small americans like Craig, Alex, John, who build high grade audio, stand behind there product, and search for continually bettering there equipment. The warrantee's with these entreprenuers are better than the major players. I feel for these guys to go retail, the prices would nhave to be 3-5 times more than what they are currently selling for. So, when I compare these 3910's to 10-20k machines IMHO they should be right there. It makes sense to me, and so far I love what I hear. thats is really all that matters. I am just trying to bring some sonic bliss to those who really can afford it, but think that it is out of their reach. I will ttire of this soon, and just enjoy MY SYSTEM11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 1:21:15 PM No Disc wrote:

Smilin,

I understand about the formats. I had HDCD on my Cary unit and liked it alot. But the Sony is so much better than I do not miss the Cary at all and sold it.

The XA-777es is NOT the same as the SCD-777es which I own. My is fully modified by Richard Kern. Which also beats the Mitner.

If you have a link from the 2004 VSAC show please post it, I cannot find the info. From what I read, the shootout conditions were less than good.

Keep dreaming? Oh Pleeeze. give me a break.

----------------

No disk, I am not down playing any player, especially yours which I assume is wonderful...I will make this offer 1 last time....would you like me to come over with these machines so you can hear them in your system. Yes, or no is sufficient. Have fun my friends in your audio journeys, I am too16.gif

I will certainly be checking out all these options. thanks smilin for relating to us your experiences/opinions, especially since you have done shootouts with some players I had been salivating over (no more!). I am a great believer in shootouts, I have had many in my house, my only limitation is the difficulty of access to all the best toys down here in Central America. For now I will focus on my super-boombox...lol...happy thanksgiving, tony

Guest Anonymous

Tony, Happy Turkey day to you as well, maybe my search will help you get where you ant to go as well. Let me know about the boombox when you get production started2.gif I will buy the 2nd one6.gif please put my Cardinals as the amps11.gif

Max,

You missed my meaning. It wasn't a "system" at all, it was a real performance. Read what I wrote again. I was trying to be funny.

Get it?

- Tim

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:07:31 AM maxg wrote:

No Disc,

If you are very lucky that system will stay as it is for the next few years. Keep in touch with the owner and use it to measure your own improvments.

You would be really surprised to discover, when you do this, if you are on the constant upgrade path, that one day you will find yourself listening to it and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Whenever I find myself wondering how much I have really improved my sound I go to a friends house (who has kept his system as is for years). In the early years of the hooby his was seemingly infinitely better than mine, now all I hear are the problems in his playback chain.

Of course this is not a very scientific measure of performance - but it can really make you feel good about your own system.

----------------

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:38:06 PM No Disc wrote:

No, but thanks for the offer.

----------------

I will make this offer 1 last time....would you like me to come over with these machines so you can hear them in your system. Yes, or no is sufficient.

----------------

----------------

Tim,

Sorry your having a bad day. Happy Thanksgiving, hope you get better soon.

Steve

Smilin, I have no doubt your Esoteric DV-50 "eats the lunch of," as you said, the Classe CDP-10. I'm just wondering how you'd describe the difference? Totally honest question here. I think the CDP-10 sounds absolutely phenomenal, and I'm very curious as to how the DAC's in the DV-50 best the CDP-10's?

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:41:40 PM No Disc wrote:

Max,

You missed my meaning. It wasn't a "system" at all, it was a real performance. Read what I wrote again. I was trying to be funny.

Get it?

- Tim

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:07:31 AM maxg wrote:

No Disc,

If you are very lucky that system will stay as it is for the next few years. Keep in touch with the owner and use it to measure your own improvments.

You would be really surprised to discover, when you do this, if you are on the constant upgrade path, that one day you will find yourself listening to it and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Whenever I find myself wondering how much I have really improved my sound I go to a friends house (who has kept his system as is for years). In the early years of the hooby his was seemingly infinitely better than mine, now all I hear are the problems in his playback chain.

Of course this is not a very scientific measure of performance - but it can really make you feel good about your own system.

----------------

----------------

OK - missed that one - you got me.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/26/2004 1:08:44 AM nicholtl wrote:

Smilin, I have no doubt your Esoteric DV-50 "eats the lunch of," as you said, the Classe CDP-10. I'm just wondering how you'd describe the difference? Totally honest question here. I think the CDP-10 sounds absolutely phenomenal, and I'm very curious as to how the DAC's in the DV-50 best the CDP-10's?

----------------

Nicholtl, where are you getting this info. from? I never nentioned the Classe CDP-10, and the DV-50 IMHO sucks. It is 1 dimensional, with no life. It is an overpriced piece of junk. Now, if you go to audiogon with the link I posted earlier, you will see that I have made quite a few converts for my Modified players. These are amoung the very best ever made. Email me for more info if you really want the BEST digital anywhere IMHO.11.gif

----------------

On 11/26/2004 12:52:07 AM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:38:06 PM No Disc wrote:

No, but thanks for the offer.

----------------

I will make this offer 1 last time....would you like me to come over with these machines so you can hear them in your system. Yes, or no is sufficient.

----------------

----------------

Tim,

Sorry your having a bad day. Happy Thanksgiving, hope you get better soon.

Steve

----------------

Steve,

Too bad this shoot-out isn't going to happen. Would've been fun to read the different accounts by you two. Having several other people present would be even better, as I have an idea that Tim would say his was better and you would say yours was better.

Guest Anonymous

-------------

Steve,

Too bad this shoot-out isn't going to happen. Would've been fun to read the different accounts by you two. Having several other people present would be even better, as I have an idea that Tim would say his was better and you would say yours was better.

----------------

Paul, I would not say mine are better, they are different when comparing to true high end units, than it is just personnal preference. I was at a store today,, with these 2 fella's from audiogon

AVGURU(charles) and Jactoy(von), we were suppose to compare the Esoteric UX-01, or what ever the Highest end Esoteric's are, but, they had sold the higher end one earlier this week, so again they hald the DV-50 with Sonus Faber amati's. I took them back to my place to let them hear my set-up, with the VRD's/APL/Exemplar/Modwright/cornwall comparison. It was a lot of fun. Von had Dan Wright from modwright rebuild his Sony es9000, including a built in volume control. This unit had the most lush/musical/huge soundstage/I have ever heard in my system. It really was fun. I did not feel it was accurate, but, I loved it. Paul, right now I have 3 modded players, and am just trying to make up my mind. Funny thing happened Friday, Esoteric called Alex from APL Hifi, to send him a DV-50 to mod, yes they are following this thread too. Thats real interesting. If Tim, had me come over, I would not have had an argument, fight ect, I just wanted to compare. I am sure all are wonderful. There is no magical BEST of anything audio. Each person is an individual, with there own preferences. What is right for me may not be right for the next guy. I just feel it's silly to not get to experience different.

Best of luck

BTW, I still do not like what the DV-50 does for digital. This Is my opinion, and you know what they are like2.gif3.gif9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/27/2004 7:01:09 PM paulparrot wrote:

Smilin,

That *is* a heckuva thread over at audiogon--I just read about a twentieth of it. Now I think I understand why the offer you made here was rejected!

----------------

Why is that? Tims sony I am sure is far better than the DV50

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/27/2004 3:32:08 PM kev313 wrote:

Smilin - Wanted to let you know that I was in Holm Audio in Woodridge today and the guys there are following your Audiogon thread. Apparently a number of customers have also come in talking about it.

Hope all goes well!

----------------

It's going well, email me your #, and I will call you3.gif funny, if you google dv-50 the thread is pulled up.9.gif