• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:57:17 PM smilin wrote:

Gary, I will be in there in the morning, call me. BTW some of my mfsl's were 60, uugghhh
3.gif

----------------

I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I've paid for a few of my LPs. Luckily, they hold their value and then some. I can't ever imagine selling them though. That'll be up to my kids someday.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 10:08:00 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:57:17 PM smilin wrote:

Gary, I will be in there in the morning, call me. BTW some of my mfsl's were 60, uugghhh
3.gif

----------------

I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I've paid for a few of my LPs. Luckily, they hold their value and then some. I can't ever imagine selling them though. That'll be up to my kids someday.

----------------

you can tell me friday, lucky for me, dcc and mfsl are collectible too3.gif aint this hobby a hoot?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 10:14:40 PM Kudret wrote:

Hi Steve,

Which CD/SACD player are you using? I seem to remember you having the 777?

Kudret

----------------

That was 10 players ago, the best I have now is a modified Denon3910, modded by Alex Payxhev. It is really an apl, cause all alex uses is the box, transport, video, all else is his.

Smilin,

You didn't answer my question. Are your Cornwalls stock?

Scared of what? That your setup might possibly sound better to you than mine does to you? Nope. I listened me many systems, reference systems in fact, and because the setup is in my place and tweaked just the way I like it, it sounds better to me than those reference systems sounded. I would not expect you to like my setup better than yours. Our musical tastes are probably different too. Challanges like this are meaningless.

So what turntables have you heard on your setup at home? Not what you have heard at the local high-end shop?

Oh, BTW Per your request I posted your generous offer to the Vinyl Asylum forums. This will be interesting.

- tb

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 11:22:01 PM kev313 wrote:

You are no longer using the Exemplar Denon?

----------------

I have both, but the APL is mucho better IMHO9.gif for 2 channel, more 3 dimensional.

Smilin,

I don't use binding posts, that's just one more "connection" for the signal to traverse. My speaker cable is wired directly to the PIO type B crossovers.

Have you done anything to improve the lensing of your horns? Also have you done any of the Floth "Equalizing the Cornwall" mods?

I've done both and the improvements over stock are significant.

What do you have your Cornies sitting on floor wize?

No Disc

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 11:58:55 PM No Disc wrote:

Smilin,

I don't use binding posts, that's just one more "connection" for the signal to traverse. My speaker cable is wired directly to the PIO type B crossovers.

Have you done anything to improve the lensing of your horns? Also have you done any of the Floth "Equalizing the Cornwall" mods?

I've done both and the improvements over stock are significant.

What do you have your Cornies sitting on floor wize?

No Disk, could you, would you work on mine? seriously, mine are basic, and I would love to find somebody round here to help me.

No Disc

----------------

12.gif12.gif12.gif12.gif

The mods are not hard to do. Correcting the lensing issues are easily done with simple rope caulk. Buy some caulk from home depot and spend an afteroon caulking. Tweeter, mid horn and Bass basket all can be caulked. The Froth mods are more involved.

Look here, this is my setup. You can see the new custom backboards I made to improve Cornwall bass response.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?UserImages=11087

Getting the Cornwall off the floor is also an important step to clean up sloppy bass. My Cornwalls sit on vibrapods and custom maple blocks, this will improve bass focus quite a bit.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 12:48:47 AM No Disc wrote:

The mods are not hard to do. Correcting the lensing issues are easily done with simple rope caulk. Buy some caulk from home depot and spend an afteroon caulking. Tweeter, mid horn and Bass basket all can be caulked. The Froth mods are more involved.

Look here, this is my setup. You can see the new custom backboards I made to improve Cornwall bass response.

Getting the Cornwall off the floor is also an important step to clean up sloppy bass. My Cornwalls sit on vibrapods and custom maple blocks, this will improve bass focus quite a bit.

----------------

My horns are rope caulked, forgot. wanna make me some backboards?3.gif

Guest Anonymous

No disk, you have a couple of beautiful setups, lets just set up a date for me to come by and let you hear, what I am hearing, and compare digital to vinyl. sounds good, no? At least we will have fun3.gif2.gif

Smilin,

Congrats on the state of your system. These are the, sadly often brief, moments that make this hobby worthwhile.

Comparisons with other systems are often meaningless unless you are comparing different systems, or components within systems in the same room with the same source music.

Really that is the extent of the simplicity and complexity of the whole hobby - Synergy!

Synergy of system (and components within the system)/ room and music - and the synergy of each with the listener's ear.

Having heard a goodly number of systems over my audiophile years I have come to the conclusion that predicting, based on equipment, how good a given system will sound, to me, within a given environment is all but impossible - again, for me at least.

I have been amazed a number of times - and both ways. I have heard systems that cost $5,000 that sounded Godly and systems that cost 20 times that amount that were poor to average to my ears.

I, too, get ecstatic over my sound from time to time. The other night, after returning home from a full day at the high end show I played the following record that I picked up there:

RCA Living Stereo LSC 2586

Gershwin

Concerto in F / Cuban Overture / Variations on "I got rhythm"

Boston Pops, Earl Wild on Piano and Arthur Fielder conducting.

It wasnt just that it sounded better than anything I had heard during the day - or even during the previous day. It sounded better than anything I have ever heard!

Whether it is simply a sublime recording or whether it is a recording that just happens to suite my system's playback abilities down to the ground I do not know - but I tell you this - it was ABSOLUTELY FAN-F'ING-TASTIC!!!!

How good? It was 1 am and for the first time EVER - my wife got up out of bed and came into the living room - not to ask me to turn it down - but just to listen.

It is also the first time I have returned from a high end show and had my own system sound good to my ears.

Last night on the other hand - I listened to some Rock music - admittedly at very low volumes (DSOTM as it happens) and it sounded so average it was hard to beleive this was the same system.

Enjoy your joy while it lasts....

Max,

this Living Stereo disc IS pretty nice sounding (and I just hope it won't be too long before it's reissued as SACD!). I think you hit on the spot when referring to synergy and mood. Same happens here - having been less than happy with my vinyl rig lately I decided to readjust/retry various VTA settings....and I think I have found a (much!) better spot...at least for the time being 9.gif .

Wolfram

The insidious nature of this hobby/obsession is that the listener already has the best sounding system - located somewhere between the ears. The trick has been to gather a pile of capacitors, resistors, transformers and in some cases, tubes that approximates that sound or at least approaches it to the listener's satisfaction. The problem is that the sound I'm looking for keeps changing with my experiences - concerts, shows, other systems, magazine articles...alcohol...just about anything has an effect on the "mental" system. If it were static, I would have the system of my dreams by now but that'll never happen as long as I keep going to clubs and experiencing new music so I keep compromising and rationalizing the gap between the ultimate system in my brain and the amorphic reality that surrounds me.

So the trick isn't to mortgage the house to afford what on paper is the ultimate system you can imagine - rather the goal should be to convince yourself that the piece o' crap Jambox on the kitchen table is audio "Nirvana". Good luck with that Grasshopper.... 2.gif