My digital is analog/unbelievable sounding

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got home after a rough couple of days, I put in Feels So good by Chuck Mangione, and OMFG my system sounds the BEST it has ever sounded. The Corns are actually singing, ZERO digititis, my VRD's are humming, I have gotten this system so good it is scary. I love my stereo. It is right here, live, not memorex. I am using my APL 3910/w volume control, to my VRD's to my speakers. I challenge anoybody, anywhere, to have a systen that sounds this GREAT. Real, like the musicians are in the room. Soundstage, dynamics, imaginging, layering, I just close my eyes and visualize where each instrument is being played, each note is so delicate and dynamic, I just love it. Is my search over? YES, for the moment at least. I have been searching and spending $$$$ to get the ULTIMATE in digital playback, and I must say, this is the best I have EVER HEARD. If you are in the Chicago area, come by and BE AMAZED.

Smilin right now9.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I thought I was done a year or so ago and It could not get better. My system is far better than it was a year ago and I still have plenty more to go. It never ends...

My system is good too but I would not go challanging my system against others... thats just silly. Besides, it's subjective. If your system sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

"My Digital is analog" - That's just plain crazy talk. Anyone who has spent the time, money and energy on a mid to high level analog rig will tell you that digital still cannot match analog. On my setup it comes down to small but noticible differerences, such as the attatck and decay of the notes, timber and pace, rhythm and timing. My analog rig beats my digital in these areas in most cases. Not always, but usually. Very recording dependent.

And least we not forget that analog is how many a master are recorded and stored. Going digital always takes something away.

Keep Smilin...

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 7:59:01 PM tbabb wrote:

"My Digital is analog" - That's just plain crazy talk. Anyone who has spent the time, money and energy on a mid to high level analog rig will tell you that digital still cannot match analog. On my setup it comes down to small but noticible differerences, such as the attatck and decay of the notes, timber and pace, rhythm and timing. My analog rig beats my digital in these areas in most cases. Not always, but usually. Very recording dependent.

And least we not forget that analog is how many a master are recorded and stored. Going digital always takes something away.

Keep Smilin..tbabb, you wanna compare, I may make you \\\\apoligize REAL quick. I have been on a mission to get the best digital-regardless of price. Budget 20k. lets compare, my friend

----------------

6.gif3.gif3.gif

tbabb, you wanna compare, I may make you \\\\apoligize REAL quick. I have been on a mission to get the best digital-regardless of price. Budget 20k. lets compare, my friend

ok...that just comes off as kind of mean.

But that is not my point. Now don't get me wrong - I love my Klipsch. But 20K worth of digital gear on $1000 speakers is crazy. And I'm not even one of those guys that thinks high end hi-fi is a waste of money. Hell - if I could put $75,000.00 - $100,000.00 into my gear without having my significant other pop me upside the head, I probably would. To me Klipsch is hi-fi sound and Best Buy prices. Putting EXTREME high dollar gear on it just seems...dirty.

Point 2. Why spend 20K to have digital sound like analog when you can spend 2.5 - 5k and have analog that sounds like GREAT analog. Hell...you can spend 2.5 - 5k and get digital these days that sounds like great analog. You gotta really want that extra 5% of performance for the price of a small car that you put into it.

Again, just my opinion. It's your cheese. We all keep the economy going in our own special ways. I guess you can't put a price on a smile 1.gif

Funny but I was just thinking the same, but opposite. I know my digital is nowhere near your level but since I got my new analog rig about a month ago, I've been listening to nothing but vinyl. Yesterday I played a couple SACDs for the first time in quite a while. SACDs which aways sounded great on my system and I couldn't believe how blase they sounded compared to the vinyl. There's a real texture and depth to the music I can only get with vinyl.

I'm happy you've found audio nirvana and I wish we lived closer so we could compare. THAT would be fun!1.gif

Guy - I haven't heard that unit. I have heard the new Theta, however, and it is quite good. Supposedly it compares favorably to the Weiss (as does the aging Levinson per Sterophile FWIW).

Frankly, among the D/A converters I've heard, I'll take my Trivista 21 and save the $$$ for CD's. Nevertheless, the Theta was quite impressive. I will say, however, that the extra cost associated with going from a single unit to a transport + outboard DAC was well worth it.

I once knew someone whose husband had Luxman tube amps, Dahlquist speakers, etc. A friend of his was envious of the great sound. SO, he bought the exact same equipment. Was he able to duplicate the sound? NO! There is a lot more than equipment to be taken into account when assembling a system.

Keep on smilin', Smilin! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 8:51:05 PM kev313 wrote:

tbabb, you wanna compare, I may make you \\apoligize REAL quick. I have been on a mission to get the best digital-regardless of price. Budget 20k. lets compare, my friend

ok...that just comes off as kind of mean.

I was not and am not trying to be mean, I just know what I hear, and what I have compared too.

If I haqd the space in my room for vinyl, I would have it, but, I do not, so I need to do the best within my space constraints.

But that is not my point. Now don't get me wrong - I love my Klipsch. But 20K worth of digital gear on $1000 speakers is crazy. And I'm not even one of those guys that thinks high end hi-fi is a waste of money. Hell - if I could put $75,000.00 - $100,000.00 into my gear without having my significant other pop me upside the head, I probably would. To me Klipsch is hi-fi sound and Best Buy prices. Putting EXTREME high dollar gear on it just seems...dirty.

Point 2. Why spend 20K to have digital sound like analog when you can spend 2.5 - 5k and have analog that sounds like GREAT analog. Hell...you can spend 2.5 - 5k and get digital these days that sounds like great analog. You gotta really want that extra 5% of performance for the price of a small car that you put into it.

no space, also I did not say I spent 20k, just that this was my budget. I am not a fool. I like my digital better than the Meitner DCC2 gear, DCS/elgar, and even the reimyo. I can play SACD/DVD-a/HDCD/Redbook, video, and not have to use a pre-amp....

Again, just my opinion. It's your cheese. We all keep the economy going in our own special ways. I guess you can't put a price on a smile

src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif'>

I stiil would love to compare with more vinyl rigs, so far I have impressed more vinyl lovers, than I have been impressed with thiers.

----------------

16.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 8:56:49 PM kev313 wrote:

Guy - I haven't heard that unit. I have heard the new Theta, however, and it is quite good. Supposedly it compares favorably to the Weiss (as does the aging Levinson per Sterophile FWIW).

Frankly, among the D/A converters I've heard, I'll take my Trivista 21 and save the $$$ for CD's. Nevertheless, the Theta was quite impressive. I will say, however, that the extra cost associated with going from a single unit to a transport + outboard DAC was well worth it.

----------------

Kev, I bought the Esoteric DV-50, AA Capitole II, and the MF Tri vista, none hold a candle to what I have.

Guy, fuggetaboutit

Gary, call me, I have so many machines, and I have made my choice, I will send you a player to use for a week if you want.9.gif you do not need a pre with this, and I will include the cd/sacd i promised you10.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:01:21 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I once knew someone whose husband had Luxman tube amps, Dahlquist speakers, etc. A friend of his was envious of the great sound. SO, he bought the exact same equipment. Was he able to duplicate the sound? NO! There is a lot more than equipment to be taken into account when assembling a system.

Keep on smilin', Smilin! And Happy Thanksgiving!

----------------

Klipschfoot, well said, Thanks, Happy Thanks giving to you and your too.

Steve, If you are ever in Rhode Island, I'll let you hear the "real" sound of Klipsch! Not that Cornwalls aren't nice, after all they were my SECOND choice!2.gif

I don't however have a high end digital player, just a lowley Phillips 963a. I can't see plopping down a bundle on a technology that will be replaced next year by blue lazers. And, if I did plop down the green, my wife would make certain I couldn't see by giving me two black eyes!6.gif9.gif

Rick

I'm glad you are thrilled with the performance you're getting there, smilin'. That's what it's all about.

This digital versus analog thing is what seems silly to me. I don't understand how anyone can prefer vinyl to digital, but I recognize that as just MY preference, not a blanket reality that must apply to everyone. Vinyl CAN sound great, but even at it's best, the s/n ratio is bad, and the distortion is high, relative to good digital. But ultimately, it's whatever blows yer dress up!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:34:12 PM scott0527 wrote:

Hey smilin it's great to hear someone who's so pysched about their system the way it is! I love it when someone gets all pumped up about their gear. Now get the Chuck Magione off and play something good will you?
1.gif1.gif

----------------

And what would you suggest2.gif6.gif

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:43:12 PM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:34:12 PM scott0527 wrote:

Hey smilin it's great to hear someone who's so pysched about their system the way it is! I love it when someone gets all pumped up about their gear. Now get the Chuck Magione off and play something good will you?
1.gif1.gif

----------------

And what would you suggest
2.gif6.gif

----------------

Hilary Duff of course!

Steve,

Are you working Friday? I'll be in the office most of the day. Should be slow so I'll have time to chat.

Lee Morgan, The Cooker. I could swear he's here in the room with me. I keep buying these damn LPs and they keep amazing me. Unfortunately they're more expensive than SACDs but the selection is never-ending!9.gif I'm at the point where most of my money is finally going into music.1.gif

Smilin,

You might just be missing my point, perhaps not. No matter what you spend on your digital front end, it will never be more than that. Digital.

Have you spent the money and time in an Analog setup of equal value of your digital and compared them side-by-side? If you have and then proclaimed the digital sounds better, I'll come over for a listen. If you havn't then you really have not really explored what's out there now have you?

Have you had a properly setup VPI HRX, Nottingham Hypespace, or similar turntable there to compare with your digital? Tell you what, let me post your challange offer over on the Vinyl Asylum and see if we get more than a few good laughs. If you want to believe your setup sounds better than any analog rig, fine, more power to you. You ain't convincing me because I know better.

So tell me, are your Cornwalls stock?

- tb

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 9:56:08 PM tbabb wrote:

Smilin,

You might just be missing my point, perhaps not. No matter what you spend on your digital front end, it will never be more than that. Digital.

Have you spent the money and time in an Analog setup of equal value of your digital and compared them side-by-side? If you have and then proclaimed the digital sounds better, I'll come over for a listen. If you havn't then you really have not really explored what's out there now have you?

Have you had a properly setup VPI HRX, Nottingham Hypespace, or similar turntable there to compare with your digital? Tell you what, let me post your challange offer over on the Vinyl Asylum and see if we get more than a few good laughs. If you want to believe your setup sounds better than any analog rig, fine, more power to you. You ain't convincing me because I know better.

So tell me, are your Cornwalls stock?

- tb

----------------

I did not say it sounds better, I said it sounds like analog, and yes I have copared with high end TT's. I have amazed many, even you would be SMILIN too2.gif you are more than welcome to come by, or maybe I will come to you6.gif3.gif it is a lot of fun11.gif

BTW, go ahead and post on the vinyl asylum, I am ready, let the compitition begin. My digital is well over 95%-99% of a high grade vinyl rig, and mucch less hassle. and much better than most TT's. By high grade, I do mean high grade6.gif