My digital is analog/unbelievable sounding

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/24/2004 10:08:00 PM garymd wrote:

I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I've paid for a few of my LPs. Luckily, they hold their value and then some. I can't ever imagine selling them though. That'll be up to my kids someday.

----------------

GARY! Do NOT be embarassed! EMBRACE your insanity!

And if you think YOU have poured $$$$ into your record collection all I have to tell you is that you have not really arrived until you plop down $1500 for a record without batting an eye because "it's a good deal!"

When you started buying jazz records I'll bet you never thought you'd pop even $150 for a single disc!

All I know is that if I ever was really down on my luck my I could live off the revunue stream from selling my records on ebay for several YEARS!

And that nice copy of Blue Note 1575 should be there for you on Friday!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Max,

I stumbled upon some older DGG original pressings that left me with my mouth wide open. Could not belive how nice it sounded. It was all there. The vinyl was not as quiet as the best, but man oh man were the recordings done right.

I actually heard a system a few weeks ago that just blew my system out of the water, depth of soundstage, timbre, not a hint of any weakness anywhere... everything was perfect. PERFECT!

I was listeing to a live performance of the Bolshoi Orchestra performing "Raymonda" at the Chicago Auditorium Theater. Heh. I actually closed my eyes a few times and thought to myself, gosh, so this is what the perfect "system" would sound like?

I don't know about the rest of you, but after hearing that, I know my system has far far to go....

No Disc

----------------

On 11/25/2004 7:47:52 AM dubai2000 wrote:

Max,

this Living Stereo disc IS pretty nice sounding (and I just hope it won't be too long before it's reissued as SACD!). I think you hit on the spot when referring to synergy and mood. Same happens here - having been less than happy with my vinyl rig lately I decided to readjust/retry various VTA settings....and I think I have found a (much!) better spot...at least for the time being
9.gif

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfram,

If it sounds only "pretty nice" then we definitely have a system / music / recording synergy thing going on in my home. Simply put - best recording on my system to date - out of, what, a thousand or so recordings, maybe more.

It is definitely the piece I will play if I want to impress anyone coming round to listen.

Also - I just thought of something with regard to last night's disappointing music session - the cleaner was round yesterday. She has a bad habit of brushing the dust off the arm on the TT. Generally that means she moves the counterweight - I am willing to bet I am tracking at completely the wrong weight!!

At least I can dial up the right weight (within a tenth of a gramme) without the aid of a scale in a second - practice - a hard earned benefit!

No Disc,

If you are very lucky that system will stay as it is for the next few years. Keep in touch with the owner and use it to measure your own improvments.

You would be really surprised to discover, when you do this, if you are on the constant upgrade path, that one day you will find yourself listening to it and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Whenever I find myself wondering how much I have really improved my sound I go to a friends house (who has kept his system as is for years). In the early years of the hooby his was seemingly infinitely better than mine, now all I hear are the problems in his playback chain.

Of course this is not a very scientific measure of performance - but it can really make you feel good about your own system.

congratulations smilin on your audio epiphany! I am curious about your CD player, does this guy have any info online? it beats the esoteric and capitole II? you compared in the same system and this modded denon? I gotta hear more, tony

btw happy thanksgiving everyone!

sunnysal

If your really interested in "modded" High-Rez digital offerings, contact Allen Wright, Richard Kern, or some of the other modders to see what they are using as THEIR reference. I have not heard that Allen Wright or Richard Kern have dumped their SCD-777es in favor of the modified Denon 3910. Allen Wright has said he has purchased a 3910 to explore it's mod potential.

I'm sure Smilin's modded 3910 sounds great, and I'm sure it sounds better than most of whats out there. Will

it beat a fully modded SCD-1 or 777es? I would ask the modders and see what they think (and use).

Allen Wright had this to say about the SCD-1 and 777es...

-------------- snip ------------------

CD-1/777ES's are landmark icons in the world of affordable eqipment, and although now out of production have never been replaced by a machine of equal focussed purpose or construction quality.

As such they will have the continuing support of the upgrading community. We (Vacuum State) are up to Level 4.5 for this machine, and as I own one myself you can expect continual improvements to be released as soon as they are researched. Same goes for our main competitors.

The Denon 2900 is a great machine, but is in no way an icon, and only after a year of exisitance has been replaced by the 3910. I am about to buy a 3910 to investigate upgrades for it, but will need to move fast before it is also replaced...

-------------- end snip ------------------

----------------

CD-1/777ES's are landmark icons in the world of affordable eqipment, and although now out of production have never been replaced by a machine of equal focussed purpose or construction quality.

As such they will have the continuing support of the upgrading community. We (Vacuum State) are up to Level 4.5 for this machine, and as I own one myself you can expect continual improvements to be released as soon as they are researched. Same goes for our main competitors.

The Denon 2900 is a great machine, but is in no way an icon, and only after a year of exisitance has been replaced by the 3910. I am about to buy a 3910 to investigate upgrades for it, but will need to move fast before it is also replaced...

----------------

From the school of thought that a player's quality can be weighed on a bathroom scale.

Sounds like Allen dismisses the Denon because it was discontinued, but does not dismiss the Sony players, although they were discontinued too, because he still owns one of them.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 3:19:04 AM maxg wrote:

Smilin,

Congrats on the state of your system. These are the, sadly often brief, moments that make this hobby worthwhile.

Max, I hear and feel you. Yesterday was so beautiful musically, emottionally, also spiritually, my father in law, who is recuping here after cancer surgury, came downstairs and commented how beautiful the music sounded. I was palying MFSL Eagles greatest hits, and was being drawn into the studio with the band. AAHHH alas you are right, I just wish it could be this way always, musical bliss. But, than I guess It would be less meaningful, cause when it always sounds great, It seems to get less wonderful, cause I get use to it. Addiction, obsession, aint it a biatch.2.gif3.gif9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 10:15:26 AM JBryan wrote:

The insidious nature of this hobby/obsession is that the listener already has the best sounding system - located somewhere between the ears. The trick has been to gather a pile of capacitors, resistors, transformers and in some cases, tubes that approximates that sound or at least approaches it to the listener's satisfaction. The problem is that the sound I'm looking for keeps changing with my experiences - concerts, shows, other systems, magazine articles...alcohol...just about anything has an effect on the "mental" system. If it were static, I would have the system of my dreams by now but that'll never happen as long as I keep going to clubs and experiencing new music so I keep compromising and rationalizing the gap between the ultimate system in my brain and the amorphic reality that surrounds me.

So the trick isn't to mortgage the house to afford what on paper is the ultimate system you can imagine - rather the goal should be to convince yourself that the piece o' crap Jambox on the kitchen table is audio "Nirvana". Good luck with that Grasshopper....
2.gif

----------------

Zactly11.gif heh heh heh, got a boombox ya wanna send me?

Guest Anonymous

Guys, If you wanna get some chuckles,and see my silly path to digital nirvana

check out this thread, 1 of many I am involved in on audiogon.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1099737755&openflup&68&4#68

Read from this on down, it is long, but, you will get a bit of why I make some of the statement I have made about digivinyl.10.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 10:54:03 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 11/24/2004 10:08:00 PM garymd wrote:

I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I've paid for a few of my LPs. Luckily, they hold their value and then some. I can't ever imagine selling them though. That'll be up to my kids someday.

----------------

GARY! Do NOT be embarassed! EMBRACE your insanity!

And if you think YOU have poured $$$$ into your record collection all I have to tell you is that you have not really arrived until you plop down $1500 for a record without batting an eye because "it's a good deal!"

When you started buying jazz records I'll bet you never thought you'd pop even $150 for a single disc!

All I know is that if I ever was really down on my luck my I could live off the revunue stream from selling my records on ebay for several YEARS!

And that nice copy of Blue Note 1575 should be there for you on Friday!

----------------

Alan, I admire your philosophy, you are so right, if you enjoy it, make the right purchases, use it as an investment, can afford it, than by all means do it. This is preciscly the reason I am visiting th SH forum too, to learn about, now please don't be offended, collectible rare digital,6.gif uugghhh

I know what your thinking Alan, yes I am NUTZ11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:16:24 AM sunnysal wrote:

congratulations smilin on your audio epiphany! I am curious about your CD player, does this guy have any info online? it beats the esoteric and capitole II? you compared in the same system and this modded denon? I gotta hear more, tony

btw happy thanksgiving everyone!

----------------

Tony, follow the thread I posted earlier. I bought the AA Capitole II, MF tri-vista, and compared to both, in my system with my ears, the APL, and Exemplar 3910's. Both were better, by a large margin. I went out and listened to the meitner dcc2/combo, dcs/elgar combo and the reimyo. I was not able to purchase these units with a non-restock fee return priviledge, and felt that only the reiymyo had the vinyl qualities of the APL, the meitner was more accurate than the elgar, but did not give me 3 dimesionality of the apl. The Exemplar was closer to the meitner, maybe even better, but the most musically satifying was the APL, and the Reimyo. Tony, Email me if ya wanna talk, I am not fooling around here.3.gif

www.exemplaraudio.com

www.aplhifi.com

I talk to these guys a lot. BTW, I had a modwright sony 999 platinum at my home too. I thought it was very musical, but, not accurate enough6.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 11:43:04 AM No Disc wrote:

sunnysal

If your really interested in "modded" High-Rez digital offerings, contact Allen Wright, Richard Kern, or some of the other modders to see what they are using as THEIR reference. I have not heard that Allen Wright or Richard Kern have dumped their SCD-777es in favor of the modified Denon 3910. Allen Wright has said he has purchased a 3910 to explore it's mod potential.

I'm sure Smilin's modded 3910 sounds great, and I'm sure it sounds better than most of whats out there. Will

it beat a fully modded SCD-1 or 777es? I would ask the modders and see what they think (and use).

Allen Wright had this to say about the SCD-1 and 777es...

-------------- snip ------------------

-------------- end snip ------------------

----------------

The reason I have the 3910 modded is to have ALL currently available digital formats available to me, For example, with those other machines, I could not listen to the HDCD layering on my beloved Grateful Dead remasters, or the DVD-A of a great concert, or DVD for that matter12.gif Is the transport, overall build quiality, looks, ect as nice as the sony's, no way. I owned the XA777ES, remember, I had to sell it cause it hurt my ears. I also owned the shanling T200c, Xindak SACD, minimax, AA Capitole II (better built than sonys), Esoteric DV-50(also better built), Musical fidelity tri-vista(also better built), I am on that mission. Now, do your research of the SHOOTOUT of MODDED player at the 2004 VSAC show in vegas, and yes I will be there at the 2005 show, with some of my toys. The APL was voted over the players you are touting. I am putting my $$$$ AND my mouth from FIRST hand EXPERIENCE. Keep reading and dreaming my vinylhead friend11.gif I dream, than I buy, than I keep whats I like9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/25/2004 12:50:24 PM sunnysal wrote:

how about a modded boom box...? a pair of fostex FE208sigma replace the speakers, then I drop a headroom cosmiuc reference amp in there and use my ipod as source...wowie! high end for the picnic...tony

----------------

Smilin likes, smilin likes, very efficient two heh heh heh