Rotel RMB 1095 Review & Pics

Orange Peel

My 1095 arrived today, it arrived in perfect condition, not a scratch on the box, finally Fedex did something right :) It didn't come with my cables I ordered, so I had to think quick, so I called up a source, got some Monster Cable THX Ultra 600 RCA's to hook up to my Pioneer Elite, and here it goes....

First off, this amp is AMAZING!!!!!!! The amount of detail, soundstage, clarity, depth, engulfingness (is that a word :)), powerful sound this amp brings to my setup is pure heaven!!! I can't stop smiling, the moment I turned it on I could tell the difference, this thing puts me in the center of the action, it makes me feel like I am there, it's leaps and bounds over the sound I was getting from the Pioneer Elite alone. People say this thing gets better with more break in, I can't imagine it getting better, it's incredible right now. :E This is my first amp for my house, and let me tell you, I think I made an EXCELLENT choice with the 1095, I would recommend it to anyone on the fence about it, worth every penny and then some!!!!!

The sound is not harsh, overly bright, etc, it's absolutley PERFECT, it still has the brightness/clarity to the sound that I had before, but take that sound and put it on steriods and that's what I am experiencing! At first I didn't notice the hum/buzz, but when I switched to my cable TV source, just on the Elite, the cable box was off, I noticed the hum. I leaned in closer and heard it loud and clear, I first heard it at about a foot away. I will try the ground loop isolator and see what that does.

I only played a couple CD's, "Styx greatest hits" and "Something Corporate", and man, I can't get over how badass these CD's sound now. I thought they were good before, man they are life like now, just enormous sounding. I plan to watch Titan AE after this message to see what movie watching is like now :D

Another note about the 1095, it's F'ING GINORMOUS!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how heavy this beast is, I saw the Fedex guy carrying it in, I told him he was nuts, but he said it wasn't that bad, and he is about half my size. I figured if he can man handle that box, me being 6'2", 235lbs could do it. I picked it up, and almost crapped myself, it was HEAVY!!! I carried it to my car, managed to cram it in the back seat, and almost passed out :D I guess lifting this crap for a living like the Fedex dude does really makes you stronger than you look :) What I did find as a PLEASANT suprise was that the amp seems to have some type of roller under it, so when I pushed it in my rack it just rolled right back, VERY VERY COOL in my books!!

Well, I had this WHOLE ENTIRE message typed out before this one, and I hit the back button on accident on my mouse, so I had to retype it best I could :) I will post follow up reviews as I break it in. But here's some pics for you too, sorry for the long post, I'm a tad bit excited about the amp :D

newfront.jpg

newfront2.jpg

newfront3.jpg

rack.jpg

rotel.jpg

rotelklipsch.jpg

----------------

On 11/24/2004 11:53:56 PM Orange Peel wrote:

First off, this amp is
AMAZING!!!!!!!
The amount of detail, soundstage, clarity, depth, engulfingness (is that a word
:)
), powerful sound this amp brings to my setup is pure heaven!!! I can't stop smiling, the moment I turned it on I could tell the difference,

----------------

See! See! I told you so! That was the exact same experience I had when I got my B&K Reference 200.7 amp a year ago!

Looks awesome and I bet it does sound awesome with your system.

Interesting thing that I found out with my own system. Last night, I saw Trnas-Siberian Orchestra in concert in Richmond, VA. They played a track from thier new CD, The Lost Christmas Eve called, "Christmas Nights in Blue". Afterwards, I played the exact same track on my system, which is performed with the exact same lead-vocalist on the CD as I saw it live. I about fell out of my chair when it sounded identical like I heard it live! I closed my eyes, and I swear, I was right back in that seat that I had literally not even 20 feet from the stage, dead center, with the vocalist right in front of me! I don't know if that was a testiment to how good the live performance was, how good the CD recording was, or how good my system actually is. Probably a combination of all three. It just totally blew me away!

So, yes, having that external amp, as you found out, really does bring your system to a whole new level. I hope you are still as awed and excited about how awesome that thing must sound as I still am with my own system a good year after I made the upgrade to an external amp.

Exellent choice there, and glad you enjoy it!

My oh my, your setup is f_cking sweet man! You definitely have a keen eye for geometry and placement symmetry. Your furniture and speakers seem to compliment each other nicely in their layout, and again, I must mention how I love your plush black ebony leather couches. Oh, and I can't forget to mention your exquisite taste in audio gear! Your rack is drool-worthy indeed. I think you totally have what it takes to open up a high-end audio store! Congrats on the purchase, Scott. It's an excellent amp indeed, and will be with you long after you've gone through several generations of preamps, and the Elite has long been relegated to the basement as a dust collector.

Oh, and don't be a pansy about lifting those things. I'm 6'0" 145lbs and I have no prob lifting my 120lbs amps! I do it for fun! 3.gif

PS - do you think that's enough breathing room above the Rotel?

PPS - unless you have little tots or furry critters, you should leave the grills off. It looks so much more "hardcore." At least, that's what my friends tell me...

Steve - yes you all DID tell me how awesome it would be, and right you all were, it's totally mind blowing, just pure heaven 9.gif I have YET to hear a DVD-audio disk or SACD, I plan to get my DVD-audio setup, so I can go buy one and see what it sounds like on my system, should be beautiful 12.gif

Nicholtl - Thanks for the compliments dude, I REALLY appreciate it. I plan to swap the Elite for the Rotel RSP 1098 someday, so it will look even better! I love that Processor, soooo gorgeous. I was just shocked at how heavy that amp was, lift these for fun though, haha, I will stick to the gym for that 9.gif As for enough room, I think it should be ok, I ran it for an hour or so last night, and went to touch the top, and it wasn't that hot, so maybe it will be enough, if not I will move some more stuff around, I need a new rack anyways 9.gif And I do have 2 kids, so the grilles are my best friend 3.gif

P.S. I added another pic I forgot about last night, enjoy 2.gif

Congrats, Scott, I knew you would love it. I have the 1080 (the two-channel version) of your amp, and despite my luck in stumbling across a bevy of nice tube amps, the 1080 will always have a place in my system for driving my RF-7s to insane volume levels.

Keep us updated. By the way, according to my Rotel dealer, the amps take a while to break in. So after a little while, it will sound even better!!

Carl.

Cool looking set-up. I also use a rotel amp to power my speakers and think Rotel makes great amps. If I could make one suggestion it would be to interchange your sub with your left speaker so that your mains would be the same distance from the center line of the tv. It would also widen the sweet spot and the soundstage. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your great gear.

Best Regards

Orange Peel- I again echo everything Nicholt said about your listening/home theater room. You have done a wonderful job getting everything to look just right. I love it!

By the way, from the reflection in the television, I see someone taking a picture of your setup (probably you) and someone else with a toddler on his/her (sorry-can't tell from pic) lap listening to the new amp. That reflection really sums up the best part of the audio/video hobby for me-sharing it with those you care the most about. I'm sure you'll have just as much fun peeling the paint off the walls with that Rotel going full tilt as you will watching a kids movie with your family. Congrats on a great purchase and a pat on the back for sharing it with your family!

David