Is the Scott 299 Hype Still Here?

MBM135

Well folks, military duties have kept me busy for about a year and a half. Haven't spent a minute on the Klipsh forum since then until today.

My Scott 299A NOSValves rebuild is still going strong. I have a slight scratchy hum in the right channel which disapates after the amp warms up for a few minutes--stops when I fiddle with the 6BL8 tube also. Other than that, I am happy with the set-up.

I'm always itching to upgrade. Had a Jolida 202 but the Scott has better bass. I see Jolida has a couple of new offerings, however, since I last looked a couple years ago.

So, what's new in Tube Land?

Mike

• Like 1

I am still using my Scott 299a and its playing well.Im not really planing on replaceing it with anything else as of now, I have had it for two years this month and am very happy with it.Seems the Scott hipe has died down somewhat on the forum the past few months,dont even see as many up for grabs on ebay as there was in the past. Sounds like you might need to clean those tube sockets on your 299a that might be your problem.Glad to see you back on the forum again.

I bought a 299a earlier this year and had Craig rebuild it and really enjoy it. It has definetly replaced my mid-fi Denon solid state receiver (not to mention a bunch of mid 70's SS receivers/amps. I would say that they are still very popular here. PM Craig (nosvalves) and I'm sure he'll give you a hand with the hum problem.

I still use my LK-48 for 3 weeks out of 10 since I acquired the NOS Valves rebuild of the Scott 208 power amp.

If you were busy then you were not in INDY at the Klipsch Tour in June to hear the VRD tube monoblocks.

THe quest for me is the fine soundstage and realism of the LK-48 with more bass heft and dynamics in the transients.