crossover upgrade

theryugobuddy

Hi Guys---

I just started talking with a guy from eBay about upgrading the crossovers for my KG5.2s. I bought them new a little more than 10 years ago, and they still tickle my fancy, but I've always got the itch to improve. Thanks to easy access to cheap components on eBay, they have had four different preamps and three different power amps pushng them. Right now, a B&K ST-202 140 watt amp, a B&K PT3 II preamp , and a Denon CD player have the honors. I can't see my self upgrading to any other Klipsch speakers or components right now, and the crossovers intrigues me. Are they worth it? Is there a certain type that I have to have?

Also, when I can upgrade to tube components, are old Dynaco or Marantz amps going to be better for my system? They seem relatively inexpensive on eBay. Can I use my SS preamp with a tube amp?

Welcome to the forum.

You've got alot of questions here, and there are plenty of folks around the forum who can offer good help on them.

A couple of thoughts. There are some "inexpensive" pieces of tube gear on Ebay. Getting quality at a good price takes some savvy shopping and good communication with the seller. Actually the forum is an excellent resource for advice on gear from Ebay or Audiogon. You look at enough of those auctions and you can smell the ones that the sellers aren't right and what is not disclosed in the descriptions. Sometimes that gear is inexpensive because of the work needed to make it right. But there is definitely some good stuff out there.

On using a ss preamp and tube power amp, it can be done, but would usually be better if the preamp was tube and SS power amp. There is more tubiness imparted by the preamp than the power amp.

I just upgraded the crossovers in Marty's (Thebes) KG 5.2's. Inserting quality polypropylene capacitors brings a bigger improvement than most people realize.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=56783

Vintage gear is very good sounding, but most of it needs to be checked out by a good tech, and typically needs to have some work done before daily use. I agree with Dee, and think a tube preamp should be your first step into this arena.

Dean's crossover upgrade for the KG 5'2's is definetly worth it. While my initial impressions have not solidifed yet because I haven't had much opportunity for critical listening receiving these just prior to the holiday's. My initials impressions are very favorable. I'm doing some good listening today and hope to have a review up in the next few days in which I will attempt to explain in my non-stereophile lingo best as to how I found them to be.

Use the Search function at the top right hand corner and you will find plenty of info on tube gear, there's a thread working right now in this section on the Scott 299 series.

Also for a crossover upgrade I would use Dean here, not only because I like him, but because he knows Klipsch inside and out.

DeanG has done crossover upgrades for my RF-7's and my brothers KG 5.5's. They make a nice diffrence!

KG 5.5's = Smoother and cleaner highs that bloom towards listener, more coherent and controlled bass. I can play any cd's and sit right in front of the speakers and jam.

RF-7's = Smooth highs that come towards the listener, more laid back and deeper soundstage.

Look, the bottom line here is that you have never heard a George Lynch guitar solo unless youve heard them on a pair of horns and tube equipment, with pair of Dean G crossovers10.gif I pray to the gods of rock daily and must pay hommage with nothing but the best sound possible.

"...but because he knows Klipsch inside and out."

That's only half true -- I know the latter much better than I know the former. I don't understand everything about what makes them tick, but I think I've figured out how to get them to keep better time. There's nothing complicated about what I do, which is why I'm perfectly qualified.9.gif

Get a load of the customer service excellence from the guy here in Tampa who I found through eBay. His response to my very first inquiry was:

"They mount inside the speaker like the original ones.

They cost $ 175 and come with a 7 day trial period to check them out

4 weeks to custom make them, not that it takes that long it is only because we are so busy, we are not going to drop everything to make them

I do not have time to answer any more detailed questions, if my 7 day guarantee and 2400 positive feedback is not enough, I just will not be able to help you

Thanks"

(name withheld, but I'll you if you have to know)

---This response came on a Saturday night at 11pm on Thanksgiving weekend -- a little full of ourselves?

Any way, I would like to know about Dean's crossovers--please e-mail me at theryugo@tampabay.rr.com--costs?

Thank you for all your responses--

Looks like you caught someone having a bad night. Isn't is great when someone is trying to get your business -- and they end up acting like they're doing you a favor?

I can't see eBay here from work because they block it at the firewall, but if it's who I think it is -- I've seen the pictures of the work he did with the KLF-20. Pretty nifty really. Variable L-pads for the midrange and tweeter, air cores the size of truck tires, and the liberal use of hot melt -- which immediately puts him in my favor. Without hearing the work, I can't render any kind of valid opinion, but I thought the woofer inductor was much bigger than it was supposed to be, and though the Dayton Audio capacitors are great caps for the money -- they sure aren't in the same league as Auricaps.

The price varies depending on how much Debbie is yelling at me while I'm trying to get the work done. Most of these come in around $200 or so, depending on whether I feel like they need wire or not. I think Marty's boards had some real chinzy 18AWG on them, which I promptly yanked and pitched.