Question about bringin' it up on a variac...

fini

As a general rule, what's the minimum amount of time a piece of tube gear has been out of service (i.e. not used) that one would want to power it up slowly with a variac? One month? Several months? One year?

Also, what's the general proceedure for powering up?

Oh, one more: If someone has plugged-in a piece of gear (you know, "It lights up"), does that make the variac power-up a moot point?

----------------

On 11/29/2004 11:40:29 AM fini wrote:

As a general rule, what's the minimum amount of time a piece of tube gear has been out of service (i.e. not used) that one would want to power it up slowly with a variac? One month? Several months? One year?

Also, what's the general proceedure for powering up?

Oh, one more: If someone has plugged-in a piece of gear (you know, "It lights up"), does that make the variac power-up a moot point?

----------------

The point of bringing it up on the variac is to reform the electrolytic caps AND to see if there are any other problems, like shorts, loss of bias etc. An AC ammeter must always be in series with the unit under test (UUT) and the variac so that current may be monitored as the voltage is increased on the variac. Once the unit is brought up to line voltage, and if no problems are found, it does not need the ammeter or variac again unless caps are replaced or a problem is suspected.

Phil Nelson is The Man of old audio gear. See his site,

http://www.antiqueradio.org/checkout.htm

for the proper variac procedure. You should know the current draw of your gear before you power it up so you can watch the ammeter.

If a unit is already in service with no apparent problems, then the variac procedure is moot. It does NOT mean that the equipment is completly safe, but that's another discussion.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 3:09:31 PM Marvel wrote:

fini,

I'm glad to read the rest of this thread. When you asked about bringing it up on a variac ....

Well, I've never tried THAT before.

Marvel

----------------

That sounds mildly shocking...