Crossover "types"?

popbumper

Hey guys:

I often see different "letters" thrown around for crossover types in different Klipsch speakers. Could someone please tell me which of the following speakers the listed crossovers belong to?

Type "E"

Type "H2"

Type "B"

I am trying to compile a list of crossover components, have these crossover schematics, but do not know which speakers they "belong to". Thanks!

Popbumper

E = Heresy (Original Version)

H2 = Heresy II?

B = Cornwall

Keep in mind there was also E2, B2, B3, etc, etc. My Cornwalls have the C22 crossover. There are so many incarnations out there it will boggle your mind. There are at least six for the Cornwall probably more.

The B-network (not B-2 or B-3) has 6dB/octave slopes and gives a more midrange forward sound, like the mighty K-horn. The B Network can be built very easily and cheaply. It uses a choke, an autoformer, and two oil filled caps. (B-2 uses 12 dB/octave slopes in lieu of 6 dB/ octave). 2.gif

Thanks for asking; I have been working on this pretty steadily. Collated most all the different crossover types onto a generic sheet for parts cross reference, and drew up a "universal schematic". I did recieve some more parts today from Parts Express, so I am close to developing the physical layout. I have a few unique ideas I may try to implement.

Stay tuned, this IS going to happen. The biggest delay will be the layout and fab phase; as I said, it will probably be another 2 months before actual boards are ready. These boards will be fully silkscreened and will come with instructions and a suggested parts list. The boards will also be set up to accept a variety of parts/part sizes without having to kludge anything. Looking forward to it, hope others do as well!

Popbumper

Excellent.

You could do what people have been bugging me for a year to do -- offer kits. The thing that has always held me back is the email traffic working with people who are starting out with DIY. Questions, questions, questions. I work two jobs, plus this side business, and I'm cruising on 5 hours of sleep most of the time -- I just don't have the time to be behind the keyboard like I used to. Hell, I rebuilt m00n's networks in his front array in exchange for a website -- and I can't even find the time to write up the stuff he needs to do it. Pathetic.

BTW, "kludging" is good. Pack it in baby, pack it in.9.gif

Dean:

That is the plan. Funny part is, like you, I am extremely busy; I only work one job but the pinball hobby is like a secod job, with a constant flow of circuit board and game repairs on the side. My impetus to do the crossovers is mainly one of a need to fulfill a desire I had many years past - I used to be heavy into audio back in the late 70's/early 80's (when I had a much smaller pocketbook and less education...;>)). Now that I am in a more equitable position to do so (and my work revolves around circuit boards), I figured it was a good time, since there seems to be a need. Besides, with the number of speakers I seem to be collecting lately, I need to do it for myself!!!

FWIW, I GREATLY appreciate the support of those who are urging me forward and unselfishly sharing their knowledge; it speaks greatly of the character within the group. I hope that I can return something as well by doing this.

Popbumper

• 4 years later...

I know - old Thread - but I had a question to one of the comments above....

Above it's stated that the original "E" crossover has a 6db and the "E2" is 12db.

I have an old Heresy in horrible shape that I've been meaning to recap. With my tax return coming in, I'm getting ready to do a lot of small projects. In your opinion, if my Heresy has an E2 right now (and needs to be recapped), should I recap it to the E2 specs OR should I re-do it all together and build an "E" crossover?

Thanks for your input.

Also, what caps are used in both?