How does Netflix decide what to send?

Colin

I am considering Netflix, as a lower cost alternative to signing up again for all the movie channels (love HBO, but the shows are addicting and time consuming). How does the movie selection work? If I sign up for new release Bourne Supremacy, how long before my turn comes up? If I select 12, which ones do they send you their site is unclear about this. Thanks.

3.gif

They send them to you in the order you select. You can also rearrange that order to your liking. The ones you have selected are listed/waiting in your "queue." The queue also tells you if there is a wait (almost never, in my experience). Once you send a movie back, you will get the next one in about a week. I try to space out my receipt/sending of each movie so that I have one every 3-4 days; while I have one, another is being sent. I figure that with shipping times figured in, and keeping a movie no more than 1-2 days, you can get about 12 movies per month, which means about $1.50 per movie. I am extremely happy with Netflix, and have not visited a video store in over a year. The 3-movie-out option was $19.99 when I started, then increased to $21.99, and now has dropped due to competition to $17.99. When does that ever happen?

Man I love netflix. I have used there service for about 3 years now. Yes you can keep one for AS long as you like and they will send you the next one in line for everyone you send back. The longest I kept one movie was about 2 months. They will sned an email to you asking you if you had sent it back or just keeping it a while...no probs. No adult movies at this time but the service is GREAT! They offer different levels depending on how many movies you can watch. I have the first level which is 3 movies at any given time. Works for me because thats about what we watch every week.

scooter

Hmm Thats very interesting Doug. I've never heard of them. Looks like a netflix clone with some added features. Do you use them? If so how long have you been a member. I have been with netflix for a long time and they have been great. These guys would have to be real good for me to change considering were only talking a difference of a dollar a month for the basic service.

yeah net flix did not impress me, they said they caried all new releases, but never listed many of them, so it was hard to order them, plus if you are into movies you would quickly find out that thier queue is limited. plus i in 4 dvd's i got from them was very badly scratched, and eve received 1 broken in half, pretty poor service

My experience after one year with Netflix is certainly different than MarksDad's. It is true that they do not have new releases as soon as big video rental stores; it seems to be about a month afterwards. I don't know what MD means by "their queue was limited." Netflix states they have 15,000 titles on hand. I have never had to wait to get the next movie in my queue. They have multiple distribution sites, so DVDs ship very quickly. Of dozens of DVDs I have received from them, a couple were scratched, but not so badly as to be unplayable. I did get one that was cracked and unplayable (they ship via USPS in a relatively unprotective envelope) but I went online to report it, and they sent me a replacement even before I returned the bad one.

Scooterdog - Yes, I've been using them for about 2 years. They went thru a period where their inventory was too low and couldn't get the ones I wanted, but now they are cooking right along. I'm getting all the current releases, and because they turn around so quick I can really churn through them if I want.

I initially signed on because they were in the same city as me when I lived in Scottsdale, AZ, so it was really fast turnaround. Now that they have the network of distribution centers, that same speed is back which is the big draw for me, moreso than the price. (However, I did take advantage of a "charter" member deal last month and re-registered as a new member at a lifetime rate of $12.95/month. Can't beat that!)

I've been with Netflix since February 2000. When I became a member, they had the 4-at-a-time Program which has dropped to the 3-at-a-time Program but they grandfathered me and I still get 4-at-a-time for the same price as 3. In that time, I've gotten about 3 scratched DVDs. I've gotten a couple that I havent even requested and they didn't ask for them back so....

Anyway, Netflix is great in my opinion. The turn around used to take a little while but since they have a location in Denver now, I have about a 2 day turnaround.

They used to have adult films (Kobe Tai, Asia Carrera) but, for some reason, quit offering them.

I've been using Netflix for about two years now and love it. I figure it's running me about $1.60/rental depending upon when I get around to viewing the movies. My movies are returned to Easton, MD. I've learned that if I put a movie into the mail to them on Friday, they receive it on Monday - just in time for them to ship out new movies that are released on Tuesdays.

I used to have HBO also and got tired of them running the same movies over and over again. Even with digital cable and several HBO channels, it was for the most part the same movies. I've found Netflix to be a much more pleasant experience.

This is by way of a Christmas present suggestion for your older relations. It was suggested by a very good buddy who has elder relatives in assisted living situations.

In our case, the elders can't always get out to run to Blockbuster. Yet in the retirement homes (gringe) there is always the need for socializing after and during dinner (usually supplied by the establishment). They seem to be able to find cocktails and a bridge game, but a good classic movie fills out the evening and keeps things going.

So it is possible to set up a netflix account and set up a list of movies, over the year, which they will appreciate. Sort of like Harry and David in cinema.

Best,

Gil

I live in Tampa and one of Netflix's stations is in Lakeland, so I get movies sometimes the next day. Every once in a while the movies are scratched, but its so darn cheap--

I don't miss standing in line at Blockbuster--and they just reduced their prices to 17.99 a month --

The queue in ingenious--pick your movies when you can, not when you have to replace one of your three choices. Great service, and its got to give Huizenga fits!!