Midrange Harshness

emmet2u

After listening to my ALK'd Heresys for a few weeks now, I continue to be impressed with the greater detail that I now have. But I do have an issue that some of you might be able to help with.

When listening to female vocals, in particular, there is a nasty breakup that occures at the higher range of their voices. This is particularly obvious when listening to someone like Jane Monheit, who has a great voice, but also a powerful one. It's almost as though the driver is being overdriven. I do not listen a LOUD levels, 90 DB is about it for me. If I turn up the volume it is more obvious, but nothing changes.

Has anyone dealt with this after the ALK changeout? I am thinking about using the P-Trap to try a filter it, but there may be a better way of dealing with this.

Thanks to all 7.gif

It is due to you using a DVD player as your CD player. I have yet to hear a DVD player that could play standard CD's without adding some harsh overtones to it. That is why I use my DVD player to play DVD's and have a separate dedicated CD player for redbook CD playback.

The cheaper the DVD/CD player the nastier it will sound. Yuk!

Yes, playing CD's through a DVD player can result in some problems with fidelity. Most CD circuits in DVD players are afterthoughts, anyway. Some DVD players have "CD Direct" functions to avoid having CD signals going through the DVD audio processing circuits. My DVD player has the CD Direct, and CD's sound much better without the DVD processing. Your ALK'ed Heresys aren't the problem. I have some and they sound as smooth as silk. You really don't need a P-trap because the ALK crossover has such a steep slope between the squawker and the tweeter that whatever peak the squawker may have is pretty far below the normal signal.

A better signal from a dedicated CD player will do your Heresys proud and will justify your investment in the ALk crossovers. After all, PWK called them "two-thirds of a Klipschorn."

The only midrange harshness that I ever experienced disappeared when I got divorced.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 9:21:08 PM DeanG wrote:

I guess I'm deaf. I think my Sony 9000ES is killer.

----------------

You and me both Dean, I have ALK'd La Scala's and my DVD 2200 sounds great to me. No harshness, actually it has tamed some of the brightness.

I have solved the harshness issue. It was a 3 pronged solution.

First, I installed tube dampers on all the tubes in the pre and the amp. If you have not done this, DO IT. It makes a great deal of difference in my system. I bought the silicone o-rings from McMaster Carr.

Second, I re-routed my cables. I was getting some 60 Hz from the power cords because of how the cables were routed.

And last, I shielded the cables from my pre to my amp. This had a small inpact on the sound, but it was an improvment anyway.