Huge Thrift Shop Jazz LP Score!!

lynnm

Bought the following at a thrifty today that usually has nothing of interest in its record rack.I dropped by expecting the usual dregs.I found the following at 50 cents each. Persistence and patience sometimes pays. These LPs are visually in excellent condition other than fingerprints/minor scuffs etc. and those I have been able to listen to so far sound as new after I cleaned them with my Spin Clean Record Washer.

Coleman Hawkins Memorial Musidisc SM 3537

Lionel Hampton The Best Of Lionel Hampton MCA 2-0475

Leonard Pennario Plays Gershwin Angel S-36070

Stan Getz Opus de Bop Savoy SJL 1105

Stan Getz Jazz Classics Prestige PR 7434

Bill Evans/Herbie Mann We Will Meet Again Warner Bros XHS 3411

Herbie Mann/BillEvans Nirvana That's Jazz Atlantic KSD1426

James Spaulding Plays The Legacy of

Duke Ellington Storyville SLP 4034

John Stevens/Evan Parker The Longest Night Vol 2 Ogun OG 420

Charlie Haden The Golden Number A&M SP-727

Buck Clayton Jam Session Vol 2 Chiaroscuro CR143

Herbie Mann Latin Mann Columbia CS9188

Not a bad haul for $6.50 !

8~)>

Ah, found this. No Brackeen, but should be some quality free jazz. Charlie's bass tone has often been a bit woody for my preference as a player, but I love his melodic sensibility, and it's no chore to get by his tone for the music.

THE GOLDEN NUMBER Horizon 26 (LP)/import CD A

OUT OF FOCUS

CHARLIE HADEN, basses; DON CHERRY, trumpet and flutes. Recorded at Kendun Recorders, Burbank, CA, June 7, 1976. Engineering by Baker Bigsby, assisted by Geoff Sykes.

SHEPP'S WAY

CHARLIE HADEN, bass; ARCHIE SHEPP, tenor saxophone. Recorded at Generation Sound, NYC, December 20, 1976. Engineering by Baker Bigsby.

TURNAROUND

CHARLIE HADEN, bass; HAMPTON HAWES, piano. Recorded at The Village Recorder, LA, August 21, 1976. Engineering by Baker Bigsby.

THE GOLDEN NUMBER

CHARLIE HADEN, bass; ORNETTE COLEMAN, trumpet. Recorded at Generation Sound, December 19, 1976. Engineering by Tony May.

Mixed by Baker Bigsby at The Village Recorder, LA.

For $6.50, not bad at all! Good score, Lynn! You lucky son of a gun, you.

And what a coincidence, too! Because today, just now, I went out and bought my very first LP's ever in my life, after recently making the jump into vinyl, as you know (thanks again!).

So I got:

NEW...

Velvet Revolver "Contraband"

Jimmy Eat World "Futures"

Radiohead "OK Computer"

Alicia Keys "The Diary of Alicia Keys"

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

Incubus "Morning View"

Audioslave "Audioslave"

Jet "Get Born"

Ella Fitzgerald "Ella A Nice"

Interpol "Antics" and "Turn on the Bright Lights"

USED ($1 per)...

Dvorak Symphony No. 9

Dvorak Symphony No. 7

Schubert Concerto No. 8

Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1

Chariots of Fire Soundtrack

Amadeus Soundtrack

The Last Emperor Soundtrack

Mahler Symphony No. 8

Mahler Symphony No. 3

Billy Joel "An Innocent Man"

The Americas "Greatest Hits"

I don't yet have my rig set up, as I'm still waiting on my phono stage to arrive. But I can't wait to listen to these! I haven't heard vinyl since I was a kid!

Nick,

It will be interesting to find out how new releases sound. I've heard that the Radiohead is well done in vinyl. The old Billy Joel has garnered criticism. I won't say how, so as not to color your judgement. I've got an orginal Stereo pressing of Kind of Blue which sounds phenomenal, but also have a comparably excellent digital remaster CD as well.

I've got brand new Bjork and Flaming Lips (Yoshimi) LPs awaiting arrival of a new cart for the VPI. Should be interesting.

I hope you report on your findings. What are you doing for a TT setup?

Ben

Hey Ben, yeah, it sure will be interesting to see how vinyl sounds to me, especially since I've been a die-hard CD listener all my life, and most recently, a SACD/DVD-A convert. Believe me when I say I'm beyond eager to see if vinyl really sounds better than CD.

If you look in my profile, I have my TT setup listed. But here it is anyway (and I have to thank Maxg, Allan Songer, Dodger, Kev313, Lynnm, Tom Blasing, Edmond, Anarchist, Tim Babb, and Jazman, for without their help, this would not have been remotely possible. And to anyone else I forgot - my sincerest, deepest apologies, I'm just too excited right now!)...

Music Hall MMF-5 Turntable (comes w/ Goldring G1012 Cartridge)

Musical Fidelity X-LPS v3 Phono Preamp (in shipment)

Brightstar Audio Big Rock 1 Isolation Platform

Nordost Solar Wind Interconnects

And it's all going to be running through a dedicated PS Audio Ultimate Outlet w/ an xStream Prelude powercable.

Oh, and a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaner which I'll hopefully get soon...

Super score Lynn! I myslef ahve recently mvoed into vinyl primarily as a way to build up a collection cheap through estate, charity sales etc. I'm doing ok so far.

Nick, I think you'll find what I'm finding is that some of these lps are truly, truly wonderful, many are simply are great and many quite frankly suck. I've got a Rega Planer 3 with an RB300 tonearm coming so we can swap experiences. Also I have a Radio lp that simply says Radio. Basically it's soul/funky. Is this their first release?

Nick,

Sounds like you have a very good handle on a system that will surely give you an understanding of the limitations and strengths of vinyl. Sorry I didn't check your profile. I'm on dial up at home, but used to cable @ work, so I try to be economical with my browsing. Seems like molasses. One drawback to living in the sticks.

As far as cleaning goes, check the archives for Allan's cleaning method. It's a bit of a chore, and requires a bit more of an investment in materials, but it's well worth it. If you can't find it, I've got it on disc somewhere. Let me know.

bclarke421

Charlie Haden The Golden Number is far more melodic than I expected. John Stevens/Evan Parker The Longest Night Vol 2 doesn't appeal to me in the least. Fortunately I have a friend who enjoys that sort of thing who has offered to trade me a Brubeck for it. At the moment I am listening to Herbie Mann Latin Mann and enjoying it although I find it a little overproduced.

I stopped back at the same thrift today and found nothing of special interest. I'll keep going back on a regular basis for a while though in case more LPs from the same donor are sitting somewhere in the back room. I tried to find out but the staff member I spoke to said that it is against policy to allow customers access to goods that have not been put on display.7.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2004 9:37:48 PM lynnm wrote:

bclarke421

Charlie Haden The Golden Number is far more melodic than I expected. John Stevens/Evan Parker The Longest Night Vol 2 doesn't appeal to me in the least. Fortunately I have a friend who enjoys that sort of thing who has offered to trade me a Brubeck for it.

----------------

Nice! I'm familiar with Haden's work with Keith Jarrett from that general period, but that's all. He certainly can be a chameleon.

Do any of you Thrift Shop Vinyl buyers have the experience I do, running into the same competition just about every time you're there? You walk into the place, and there's the old guy that'll buy just about anything, the guy that sells at the flea market (and hovers over your shoulder if you've found a new box before him), the out-of-town guy that doesn't know he's looking through a box of dregs that've been there for weeks...

All this makes a nice score even sweeter. Good haul, Lynn!

Thebes, yes, you and I shall definitely trade war...I mean vinyl...stories as the days progress. That's really awesome that you and I have stepped into it at the same time. Nothing like a shared experience. It makes everything twice as enjoyable.

Ben, what is "Allan's Cleaning Technique?" Sounds scary!

Fini, I've not yet gone thrift shopping, so I can't yet say if I constantly see that frightening old dude who endlessly looms behind me like a towering tree's shadow in the pits of hell, but I'll be sure to let you know once the ol' bugger shows up. What's he got? Grey hair? 6 feet tall? Wears goloshes? Carries around a huge shovel?

----------------

On 12/3/2004 12:54:33 AM nicholtl wrote

Ben, what is "Allan's Cleaning Technique?" Sounds scary!

----------------

First, buy a set of brushes from Duane "The Disc Doctor." You'll need three of them and get some extra pads while you're at it. There are no brushes made by anyone anywhere that can compare to these. Also, step up to the plate and buy a gallon of his cleaning fluid--it will last you a couple of years and the discount you get by buying a gallon makes it more affordable. Duane is a chemist and he has been fooling around with old 78 rpm records for YEARS AND YEARS and developed his brushes and fluid originally with no intention of making it a commercial venture. The combination of Disc Doctor pads and fluid gets more grunge out of the grooves than any other method and it's totally worth the money. Once you have scrubbed and scrubbed both sides of your LP (about 3 minutes per side), you then use the Nitty Gritty to vacuum the record thoroughly. Once the record has been through the Nitty Gritty, you grab a second Disc Doctor brush and go through the same process again, only this time you use an Ethanol based cleaner--the commercial ones are fine, but you can absolutely mix this stuff up on your own-a mixture of Ethanol, distilled water and fotoflo. After this second scrubbing (about 1-2 minutes per side) you put it through the Nitty Gritty again. Finally you grab the third Disc Doctor brush and scrub the record again with pure distilled water (about 45 sec per side) and then back to the Nitty Gritty (actully I do all of this with the record on the Nitty Gritty). After the final step I air-dry the record for about 15 mintues and then zap it with a Zerostat and put it in a VRP sleeve. Once you do this and if you take really good care of your records you will NEVER have to do it again! I use a DECCA brush before playing each side of a record and I clean the stylus between every record.

Oh my God, that is such a crazy long process I don't think I could ever make myself do that! Although I'm sure the LP's are shiny as a baby's bottom by then. And cleaning the stylus between each playing? Wow, that's a hardcore purist!

Maybe it's because you guys have high dollar equipment, so taking that much care makes sense. But man, that's just too much work for me. I grew up on CD's, remember!

For me, I think a pass through the Nitty Gritty and that'll be all she wrote.

----------------

On 12/3/2004 12:54:33 AM nicholtl wrote:

Fini, I've not yet gone thrift shopping, so I can't yet say if I constantly see that frightening old dude who endlessly looms behind me like a towering tree's shadow in the pits of hell, but I'll be sure to let you know once the ol' bugger shows up. What's he got? Grey hair? 6 feet tall? Wears goloshes? Carries around a huge shovel?

----------------

No, silly, that's me!

Anyone collect/listen to old 78's? I just got a nice big box of records this morning but most of them are the old 78's. I did not get a chance to see what all the titles were though. Some look pretty damn old.

I will go through and catalog them into an Excel spreadsheet with my laptop and post the titles for those that may be interested in them. I will try and figure condition as well. I have no way to play them.