Classical talk - here comes the cello

dubai2000

Viola is much harder to play correctly than violin.

Then there's the jokes about flutists (flautists?)...

Or... If you drop a banjo and an accordian off a building, which one will hit the ground first?

Who cares!

Marvel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/7/2004 2:20:42 PM paulparrot wrote:

Moving away from concertos, my all-time favorite cello performance is another by the brilliant Janos Starker: Zoltan Kodaly's Sonata for Unaccompanied Cello, Opus 8.

It's an intense piece and will scare the devil out of you if you listen to it alone at night in your home.

----------------

Just after 3AM and I just finished the above mentioned Kodaly Sonata. Eerie for sure but I still have a little

11.gif in me. I will say this. It was scarier than the movie "Open Water".

This was enjoyable to listen to and I was impressed with the vast sound range of the instrument. I appreciate the recommendation. I also picked up the Starker "Dvorak Cello Concerto in B Minor,OP.104". I took that one to a dinner party earlier this evening and the host played it during after dinner beverages. Everyone seemed to enjoy it very much but I think my "Schubert Piano Sonatas" CD, featuring Alfred Brendel, was the big hit. Some folks were schocked that ole' boomac new anything of the sort!16.gif Thanks guys.

Actually, the CD was received promptly but I hadnt had a good opportunity to listen until very early this morning. Since classical had been the bill of fare during dinner hours, I came home and placed five jazz CDs in the changer. After enjoying the sounds of Bennie Green, Louis Smith, Clifford Jordan, Bennie Golson and Hampton Hawes I decided it was time for Starker plays Kodaly. I placed my 1892 vintage Colt SSA on my lap and hit play. I thumbed the hammer a few times but never felt the need to fully cock it. Spooked but never scared! Besides, the dog was layin' right next to me.

All in all it was a great night/morning for music!

And talking of the cello this arrived just before Xmas:

Elgar

Cello Concerto

Jacqueline Du Pre / Sir John Barbirolli

London Symphony

EMI

ASD 655

Near mint and very near heaven...actually probably not near mint anymore - been played about 30 times in 10 days.

I am gonna need another copy soon...

This seems by far the most frequented thread of the 'series'. It's nice seeing people actually going out and discovering 'new works'....which means I should at least listen to the Kodaly (Yo-Yo Ma SACD) before going to bed....which will be a change from my vinyl copy of 'A Saucerful Of Secrets'9.gif .

Wolfram

Respect.

Oh, and the viola is larger and plays lower in pitch. Though rare, artful violists really move me. There's something about the effort required to play them well that reminds me of the human voice. Same goes for the cello and bass viol.

Viola players don't get much respect, but they sure come in handy in a string quartet. I think if kids don't make the cut for violin, they get pushed into playing violas.

What is the difference between a violist and a prostitute?

1. A prostitute knows more than two positions.

2. Prostitutes have a better sense of rhythm.

How do you get a dozen violists to play in tune?

1. Shoot 11 of them.

2. Shoot all of them.

3. Who the hell wants a dozen violists?

I had no idea that the viola was the butt of so many jokes. Here is a site with *hundreds* of them:

http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/jcb/viola-jokes.html

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just wanted to pop my freakish 7.1 HT head in here and say "thank you" to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm very fond of classical music, but my enthusiasm outstrips my knowledge. Anyways, the cello is my favorite instrument, so I have taken a number of these suggestions to heart for building up my collection.

Thanks again!

Scott

• 2 months later...