What do people say about REL sub-woofers?

rodneyk

REL is a great company with excellent products. More orientated towards music reproduction. Even the big REL suubwoofers don't go real loud. In fact REL don't describe their products as subwoofers - they describe them as sub-bass systems. Which is probably an accurate description. The tiniest REL product, being the Quake, utilises an 8 inch driver with a 100 watt amplifier. It goes very low, in the region of 23hz (minus 6db). Many people buy two Quakes, they're relatively inexpensive, but still offer very good sound.

REL isn't really a Klipsch competitor. Driving big rooms, in a home theatre system is where Klipsch has other manufacturers running for cover.

I agree with these posts.. Musical yes. Not really for HT. In the tradition of UK/British upper end gear.... Really nice wonderful cabinets and a strong following for music symphony, new age, piano concertos with orchestra stuff. Especially at low to mid volumes. IMO

Very nice in the right combination, and expensive too!

Richard Lord's REL subs belong in the elite of musical subs(read subs that do not add unwanted colorations to music).

The tiny units below the Q200 are more for small rooms where your mains are no larger than the Dynaudio Audience 42 or ProAc Response 1SC.From the Q200 and up you get plenty of horsepower for even HT use and of course REL's known qualities.

I tested the Q200E and its a close competitor to Sunfire's Mark II,less deep bass output and climbs higher up the freq. ladder to match with smaller sats.Both units look to use a woofer sourced from the same maker.

REL's Stentor and Studio subs are real marvels when matched with true high end in larger rooms,they bothgo very deep and never add any audible coloration to music(setup of the highest importance here).

Overall REL ranks in the top ten of the world's best sub makers.Their competence can be heard in the whole lineup I heard.

And they are made in England,not some third world place down by the river.

The association of the REL sub with music (being musical, etc) comes across quite strongly in the replies being posted here. In my case, I am looking for a sub-woofer to add into a system that is dedicated to listening to music. This system is built around Heresy II speakers. What am I to think when coming back to the Klipsch products? Would the RSW-12 be the best option for me or is REL a better choice?

----------------

On 12/11/2004 12:09:42 PM kev313 wrote:

Bad Ear. You are supposed to respond with a !KLIPSCH ONLY! model.

----------------

I know,it's a major fellony here to even dare saying REL or SVS.

2.gif

May the overlord of this forum be forgiving of my sins.