Grill Cloth Replacement Question

mark1101

I am replacing Heresy grill cloths. What method do you use to hold the replacement cloth in a stretched position for the glue to dry.

I thought of a couple of ways of doing this, but I'm just wondering how the experts accomplish this. I never did it before and the cloth wasn't all that cheap.

Thanks for any info.

are yor grills removeable?

or are the hereseys the older ones where the grill cloth is wrapped round the motor board?

if they are the removeable grills make a wooden frame that is slightly bigger that the grill board and stretch the grill cloth

over the frame and staple it to the frame. then put the glue on the grill board and lay it flat on the grill cloth and weigh it down while the glue dries.

if the grill is wrapped around the motor boards just stetch and staple

jay

Yes, they are the removable grills. I didn't know the grill cloth was glued to the front of those frames. I actually haven't removed the old cloth fully yet. I do notice that the old cloth is glued around the back of the frames all the way around the frames where the cloth overlaps (approx. 1 in. all the way around). I thought they were only glued on the back. I hope I don't have an issue getting the old cloth off.

Thanks for the help.

It will take some level of skill to do it. A stanley knife with fresh blades, an exacto knife and some Scotch 77 quick drying/high tack spray adhesive should do the trick.

It is not a super easy task as you have to stretch the fabric tightly in place and make sure that it is lined up correctly/uniformly before securing it. The glue is sprayed on the masonite and the grill fabric that will secure it to the back. Perhaps some small squeeze clamps would help as well. Try doing a small sample on peg board or something first until you get the hang of it.

A car audio shop that applies the utility carpet or felt to custom built sub boxes should be able to handle it for you if you are not up to the task.

The people who used to make the grilles for Klipsch only glued the part of the cloth that was folded over the back of the grille board. They tightened the cloth by heating the boards in a type of oven to shrink the cloth in front. They didn't glue the cloth to the front of the grille board. Gluing only the back of the grille boards is more difficult but has positive results.

I would be concerned that any glue on the front of the grille board, even if it doesn't show up immediately, would eventually pick up enough dust/dirt that would become noticeable and couldn't be gotten out, but you do what you want.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 9:56:15 AM mark1101 wrote:

I am replacing Heresy grill cloths. What method do you use to hold the replacement cloth in a stretched position for the glue to dry.

I thought of a couple of ways of doing this, but I'm just wondering how the experts accomplish this. I never did it before and the cloth wasn't all that cheap.

Thanks for any info.
----------------

What kind of speaker and what year are we talking about?