FS: Cary AES - AE3 Tube Preamp

No Disc

----------------

On 12/12/2004 1:46:14 PM No Disc wrote:

Craig.

I knew someone would ask.... Wright Sound Company WLA12A.

Tim

----------------

How do you like it so far and in comparison to the AE3?

I have the WLA12A as well and I love it but also I had no preamp before so not much to compare it to. I just bought the wright on recommendation of members of this forum and audioasylum but they steered me wright. What tubes are you currently using?

I think it mates better with the Wright 2A3s than the AES does. Wright Pre > Wright amps makes sense in this case.

I'm using Sylvania JAN-CHS 6SN7-Ws, NOS 6X5GT Westinghouse and NOS 6EM7 Raytheon tubes.

----------------

On 12/12/2004 2:29:55 PM seti wrote:

----------------

On 12/12/2004 1:46:14 PM No Disc wrote:

Craig.

I knew someone would ask.... Wright Sound Company WLA12A.

Tim

----------------

How do you like it so far and in comparison to the AE3?

I have the WLA12A as well and I love it but also I had no preamp before so not much to compare it to. I just bought the wright on recommendation of members of this forum and audioasylum but they steered me wright. What tubes are you currently using?

----------------

Bump due to revised info...

I decided to have a look at the "flakey" switch issue. Cleaned it with Deoxit and all is well. Works great and all inputs work. I have upgraded condition from 8 to 9.

Also while I had the unit opened noticed a factory PIO cap upgrade. Yeah, Yeah, I should of done this when I first got it but oh well. The PIO cap upgrade allows the unit to have more midrange bloom than the stock AE-3 DJH model and is a $118 option from Audio Electronic Supply.

This is a great pre-amp. Grab it while it's still available.

No Disc

The tubes I like the most so far in my WLA12A are Electro Harmonix 6sn7's (the standard ones..I have a pair of the gold pins and still like the standard cheap ones better) , a NOS Sylvania 6em7 which came with the pre, and a very cool coke bottle shaped Zenith 6x5g that I got from an audiogon rectifier tube seller.

Bob