Amp/Receiver recommendation

mtbiker731

Hi - I need a suggestion for a receiver for 2-channel music. I'll be using my RB-25s (75w at 8ohms) and my SVS PC+. Both were hooked to my Ultra 5.1 system before. I need a recommendation for a good receiver for a stand alone 2.1 system. I don't need a super duper $600 7.1 amp or anything, just something that'll throw out good sound. I was wondering if there's one that can set frequency crossovers for the I'm not a fan of low quality, but I don't need one with tons of features I won't use. Thanks!

Ben Johnson

For your purposes, I'd grab one of the new digital recivers (Panasonic XR-50 and etc...) They're about $300 and they are very decent.

However, they don't usually include full pre-outs, so your other alternative would be to pick a Pioneer receiver (I like Pioneer at low price points), and then add a dedicated power amp later.

Don't buy a receiver--if good sound is what you're after--

only buy a receiver for convenience. You gotta spend beaucoup bux for a great sounding receiver--

Buy separate power amp / preamp/ and source components -- the usual names of components to look for used are Adcom, B&K, NAD, Carver, Hafler, Rotel, and others. This stuff is and was made so well that you don't have to worry about build quality--they last and last. A 60 watt Adcom GFA-535 ($150 on eBay) and a preamp from any one of those companies will sound clean and powerful. Don't get more than 75 watts for a small room with these pieces -- it will be too much.

Don't but the cheapest interconnects and speaker wire--or they will be a weak link--good wires open up sound alot.

There you go buddy, making all sorts of conventional claims:

Cant get good sound from a receiver! :o?

The usual names? Where? on Klipsch forums? Carver? Where, here?

Too much watts?

cheap speaker wire is a weak link?

Where do you get this stuff? Your local stereo store?

Myself. I would try a 70s vintage harmon/kardon solid-state single-transformer 330B (or its twin-transformer versions, the 430, etc.) receiver, or refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers. Those give GREAT sound for the $$$. Horns love tubes.

The usual, touted, stereo store brands are more expensive than used or vintage models for the price. Carver is NOT, in my own humble opinion, a good match with super-sensitive (95 dB/1w/1m) Reference models. You certainly dont need lots of watts with super-sensitive loudspeakers; you need a few QUALITY watts, but you cant have too many if you have the EXTRA money.

Thick loudspeaker cable, from Home Depot, is well worth the money. Monster cable is an expensive convenience. Buy the best gold spades at Radio Sh*t and make your own excellent loudspeaker cables. Invest in a really good amplifier and you will barely care about the cabling.

Dont trust any conventional advice from retail stores they simply want to sell you the typical box (By the way, Bose Jewel cubes are excellent sounding for such a small box and they only cost 25-50% more than other loudspeakers)!

Move your loudspeakers 3-4 feet away from the wall and you will be mile closer to excellent audio sound.

Sorry for the rant, but is it less than 70F down here in So. Florida and I have to wear a sweater when I go outside!

7.gif

Yes, its cold in Tampa, too!

My wife doesn't think I'm conventional.

That advice comes from being unsatisfied with the sound coming out of my Klipsch speakers running from a Yamaha receiver bought from Sound Advice, and buying and listening to five different power amps, four different preamps and two different CD players over a six year period. And without spending alot of money on eBay !

A friend had a Carver and Klipsches and I liked the sound, but not as much as mine--

My brother has a Harmon Kardon receiver that looks so good and sounds average-- I haven't told him, but I'll tell you!

You got to admit, its entertaining to read some of the posts on this forum when a simple question is answered with so many opposing opinions--I remember it was intimidating for me when I started improving my sytem years ago--

I want to help and not intimidate, unlike you--

It's really tough to beat the Harman sound especially something older or vintage. It's got a more sweeter, and warmer spacious soundstage than the more neutral newer ones. Which is great also. Depending on what you like I guess. I still like Harman for the money. Alot of people will buy an integraded amplifier for stereo sound and it's convenience. Kind of like a receiver without a tuner. Which you can get some pretty nice newer cambridge audio integraded amps for a descent price. Many many brands to choose from that will work fine.

Greetings:

I go along with either vintage or used. Audiogon is a good place, at this time of year I'd INHO avoid ebay like the plague.

Everybody is selling their junk, well a lot, to unwary Christmas buyers.

Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, some Pioneer, NAD you can find something in your price range.

Good Luck, Merry Christmas,

dodger