Cornwalls Arrived!!! Which terminal is + ????

My brand new to me 1979 Cornwalls just arrived but I have a quesition I would like answered before I hook them. Can one of the experts here tell me which side of the terminal block is + and which is -? Does it matter on these speakers?

Thanks!

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

eq, should have some red paint somewhere around the pos term. on mine it's on the top of the plastic fixture surrounding the posts. kinda hard to see the red after

some fading and/or refinishing over the years.

but the pos is on the right facing the terms from the back. at least on my '84 corn I. enjoy!

Coolies thanks. I got out an old toothbrush and cleaned the years of dust off and sure enough the right side terminal has some red on it. As always you guys are awsome!!! Now excuse me while I go hook these babies up!!!

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

WOW WOW WOW. They sound awsome. And umm they are BIG hehe. It took all afternoon to wire up the Cornwalls, the SVS, and the Hafler amp. After everything was wired and tested I moved all the sofas and stuff out of the way and played around with the placement. I have settled on this placement for them. They are about 14'apart, slightly toed in (back corners 5" and 17" away from the wall). One is kinnda in a corner. The other is very close to a hallway. Not optimal but they sound great. The SVS (yeah I got that today too heheh woohoo) is inbetween them. I may try corner loading the sub after I get some more speaker wire. I tried pulling the Cornwalls out from the wall more (up to 3' away) but I didn't notice a big difference so I opted for more living space:-). I need to borrow a digital camera and post a pic or two. Time to listen.

I rushed and put in my favorite Grateful Dead CD and the soundstage is awsome. The entire system is tight. I love the way you can hear EVERYTHING (btw I now know what the saying "this CD may reveal the diffencies of the orginal recording" means). I followed that with Police Ghost in the Machine, a great Delos recording of Beethoven's 6th (I could hear them plucking the strings), Led Zepplin 4, and the soundtrack from Blues Brothers 2000. I love the 5 disc changer :-) Every single one presented a nice wide soundstage and the detail was amazing. On to the DVD's.

I rebalanced the system and the front settings where within 2dB of the settings for the RF3's. The Eagle's Hell Freezes Over disc awsome. I was there really I was. Saving Private Ryan. I was ducking as the bullets were flying around and the tanks and everything were awsome. I even watched SW EPI pod race sequence..very nice.

I didn't notice a big problem with the RC3 and RS3's. I think everything is pretty well balanced. I may fool around with it if I can "borrow" some of the R*7 stuff.

Now here is the thing. After getting the RF3's I knew that I would have to re-listen to all my music again. Well now I have to re-re-listen :-) I love the sound of the RF3's and they certainly are a awsome speaker (I plan on keeping them....somewhere). I think that the RF3's and Cornwall are very close for 5.1 movie watching (the Cornwalls still have an edge of course) but for pure 2 channel listening the Cornwalls blow the RF3's out of the water.

I gotta scoot I have folks coming over tonight to hear everything cwm30.gif

Laters,

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.1 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

I find it interesting (and very understandable), that you went for your favorite DEAD CD, for your 1st listen....

..the 3 regional sets of Cornwalls (including mine), that I'm aware of, probably spend the majority of their time, playin Dead, or "Dead related" tunes..

In my opinion (and obviously that of a couple of friends of mine...), Cornwalls are THE speaker to play Dead with....,

talk about the "take ya there" sort of Live sound reality.....,

I've heard nothing else that will emulate the true concert sound as well....

...they may not have folded horns (like the Khorns, Belles and La Scala's).....

but the "Wall of Sound" didn't have anything but DIRECT RADIATION either...

have fun listenin...

Dan-OH!~

My Cornwalls have NEVER had any Grateful Dead played throught them, but I have a great story about the Dead from about 1972.

I was an undergrad at Berkeley and some friends of mine convinced me to go to a show with them. I think they asked me becasue I had a VW van and knew I didn't get high, so I was the perfect choice to drive them to Palo Alto for the show. On the way down everyone but me dropped acid and by the time we got to the venue at Stanford they were FLYING.

The first thing I noticed when we got in was that there were at least 20 guys with high-tech recording devices getting ready to tape the show--I'm talking REEL-TO-REEL for the most part! Before too long, the band took the stage and proceeded to f**k around with their instruments and amps for about TEN MINUTES until one guy stumbled to the mike and said: "All of my stuff works, but some of Jerry's stuff doesn't work yet." Then they continued to mess around for another TEN TO FIFTEEN MINUTES until Jerry started playing some sloppy groove on the guitar and everyone in the band sort of fell in. Immediately all my buddies were desperately trying to figure out what this tune was going to be and the ones that were correct became elated that they were right!

Anyway, this sloppy groove continued for about 3 hours. It was the most BORING concert I had ever seen or heard. I'm not much of a rock-and-roll fan---I'd always liked the Rolling Stones and the Beatles and Cream and some other bands of the era, but The Grateful Dead where from another planet. They weren't particualary skilled musicians or vocalists and the tunes all sounded EXACTLY the same. Everyone but me LOVED the show. And everyone but me had dropped acid.

So I guess you have to be halucinating to appreceate the Dead, I dunno... All I know is that I never had to drop acid to get into John Coltrane or Monk or Miles or Duke Ellington, so I guess the Dead just 'aint for me. To each his own.

But every time I hear one of their tunes I think of Bob Weir stumbling to the mike on that sunny afternoon telling all of us that Jerry's stuff doesnt work. What a riot!

Dan-Oh -

Yeah I think the Dead concert sound is what draws me to Klipsch. They are the closest to I have ever heard to the live Dead sound.

Allen -

That was funny story. I guess they didn't change much in the 10 years between '72 and '82 when I caught my first concert. I remember concerts like that (and ones when they never talked to the crowd also). I agree on their worst days the Dead could be difficult to listen too but if you ever got a chance to catch them when they were in a "tight" groove no one could touch them (my opinion of course :-) I have to say that I ran some Dave Brubeck and some Stan Getz through the system yesterday and the Cornwalls sounded equally awsome (and I swear I wasn't tripping on acid yesterday :-).

I think that is the great thing about Klipsch speakers is that they are just awsome so everything sounds great played through them.

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-11-2001 at 10:13 PM

Allan, it sounds like, if nothing else, you had an interesting day back there in 72....,

believe it or not, if you could remember the approx. time of the year, we could probably list the set list,

to that 3 hr. jam...., their shows have been VERY well documented.

I've given up on trying to understand, let alone to explain why they can sound so good to so many of us..., and not to others....

in a way they're like Klipsch speakers...., to us our Klipsh's are one of the best creations, made by man, to listen to our favorite tunes...., to some others they're "harsh" or don't sound "right" (the coloration they've grown accsutomed to, isn't present,

IMHO...)

the Dead always pushed the envelope on sound equip. too.... (especially in those days) and many times, paid the price in "tech. difficulties....", long delays, etc.

I've seen their infamous "Wall of Sound" (designed and built by Alembec, used circa 73, 74) written up in text books on sound system design.

..in those days, they had a very "familiar" relationship with the audience....., sounds like Bob was just explaining the delay...

...perhaps, sometime if you're given the opp.

you ought to give yourself and your Cornwalls a treat....,

and play some more recent (early 90's), Dead show material, from when the likes of Branford Marsalis, Ornette Coleman or David Murry, felt inclined to stand in with them....., if the Jazz twist might turn your ear, a little better...

Branford was doing it often enough, that he almost earned honorary band membership....

Dan-OH!~

Ah Dan-Oh very good explaination much better than mine. Must be the difference in years :-)

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

2 RF-3's (center channel)

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's

well, Allen...., since I sort of opened this door...

I may have to see if I can round up some prime examples, of Jazz Greats, standin in with the Dead

and burn them to some sort of compilation CD....

it sounds like a good challenge (that could take me a while)....,

watch this space, and if I can come up with a good example, I'll get back in touch with ya.....,

If I can find some good examples to download... it'll go the quickest..., if it involves some DAT->CD work it may take a little longer....

it could be a good selection to have around,

for anyone that might not be that familiar with the Dead, but do appreciate Jazz...,

...it will still sound like some extended jammin...,

these guys didn't come around to do a sing-a-long to Truckin...,

but it should be more of the sort that you may like...

eq - "all the years combined...",

should add up to something....

Humm Dan-Oh -

Count me in on that one when ya get it done :-).

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

2 RF-3's (center channel)

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's

Will do eq....,

here's a little project update....,

I went to

http://www.deadbase.com/

where they have a nice DB w/search engine, to find out what list of shows had these Jazz greats visiting and came up with the following dates....

Ornette Coleman 2/23/93, 12/09/93

David Murray 9/22/93, 2/26/95

Branford Marsalis 3/28 & 29/90 (prob. the shows that some of the Without a Net tracks came from w/Branford)

12/31/90, 9/10/91, 12/10/93 & 12/16/94

I have the 2/23/93 show on DAT and will be lending it to a friend to transcribe to CD...,

9/10/91 is available for free download in .shn format (w/NO compression loss) at

http://www.gdlive.com

so I'll pull that entire show down...,

I've asked the help of some of my "cyber-buddy's" in pulling together some material from these other shows.

I plan on making a 1 - 2 CD compilation set,

may throw in a track or 2 from the Grissman/Garcia So What CD (although that's not quite in the Jazz/Dead theme...).

I'll also be making some entire show copies for myself and trading friends..

as a side thought, if one wanted to take a tangent on this theme, in the mean time, you could check out

Without a Net, which does include several cuts with Branford,

or as a slightly diff. twist, either of the "Jazz is Dead" releases, which has a fine group of musicians, playing Dead tunes, in a more Jazzy tradition....., includin the talents of Jimmy Herring (Aquarium Resque Unit), Alphonso Johnson and a couple of guys that were in the Dixie Dregs....

relative to Allan's 72 Berkely show,

it must of been one of the following...

Date Venue

08-21-72 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, Ca.

08-22-72 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, Ca.

08-24-72 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, Ca.

08-25-72 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, Ca.

that must've been their only Berkeley run that year...

....I'm having some fun with this little project,

once the CD's are ready, I'll need your mailin addresses....,

you can email them to

Dan_Schwenn@Maxtor.com

...have a Grate one,

Dan-OH!~

Coolies!! Great work!! Without a Net is one of my favorite "produced" CD's. I love the tracks with Branford on them. Yet another tangent would be saunders, Garcia, Kahn, and Vitt live at Keystone. More bluesy but good too. Thanks for the effort. Can't wait to treat the neighbors to this over the Cornwalls (of course they will prob be in their houses at the time hehe).

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

djk -

Cool information! I wish I could have seen them when they were using the "wall" even thou it didn't always work.

Bye,

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

djk - I fail to see where/how we differ...,

unless you're saying that the T-35 doesn't directly radiate it's sound.....

my reference was to FOLDED horns......,

...the fact that Alembec used T-35's for the Wall fo Sound's tweeters....., would seem to be one more reason why Cornwalls are such fine speakers for listenin to the Dead (as I said....)

I do believe we are actually in aggreement....

Dan-OH!~