DIY crossover "kit" updates

popbumper

All:

Been working steadily on this project, and as Dean had stated early on, the tough part is "at the beginning". Daily I have been compiling drawings designating component placement/fit, various matrices for the crossover types, and confirmation of the setups. In a nutshell:

1)The "first batch" of crossover boards are going to work for the following speakers:

Academy

Chorus/Chorus II

Forte/Forte II

KLF20/30

Heresy/Heresy II

2)These will NOT initially work for the following speakers:

Cornwall

Quartet

...why? As I had stated before, I am designing for maximum size components; both of these platforms use a 4mH inductor on the bottom end, and the inductor size is prohibitive. I will probably spin another set for these speakers alone, but I wanted to cover the majority first.

3)The configuration will be "stacked", where two approx. 3" x 5" boards will be mounted atop one another. In any case, the HF and LF sections are confined to one board, while the MF section is confined to another.

4)These will most likely be fitted with pre-soldered wires attached for the drivers. While there are many connectors on the market, I am trying to conserve board space, as well as maintain solid soldered connections as on the stock units.

5)These will be available as blank boards, blank boards with components for the DIY'er to assemble, or complete assembled units.

6)Any questions, ask. I am making the best effort to roll these out ASAP, but with a "real job", I can only do so much. One final note - I will be capturing all of this on AutoCAD over the next week, and once that is done, layout will begin.

Popbumper

----------------

On 12/20/2004 12:43:33 PM popbumper wrote:

Nothing like sidelining the topic....
6.gif

----------------

more like "hijacking", but Dean started it with his John the Baptist comment.

Then two smarta$$es took over and it got out of hand.

BTW, popbumper, I am genuinely impressed with what you are laying out on this project. Seriously.

I believe your first-run boards should work for the Cornwall IIs also. Looking at the schematics for the Cornwall II and Chorus (that I sent you) they look very similar and actually share the exact same coil values. Please take a closer look and let me know if I'm wrong.

BTW, the B2 schematic I have for a Cornwall shows it having only a 2.5mH LF coil. So is there some other reason it wouldn't be supported in the first-run?

And they came to John, and said to him, "Rabbi, he who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you bore witness, here he is, baptizing, and all are going to him." John answered, "No one can receive anything except what is given him from heaven ... He must increase, but I must decrease."

9.gif

Daddy Dee:

Thanks very much for your support, I just want this thing to be right - the first time, which is why I am taking great care to build it.

STL:

My apology, yes, this will work for Cornwall II. I unfortunately do not have copies of ALL iterations of the Cornwall crossover schematics, so suffice to say anything less than 4mH on the woofer will work in this application, at least for the components I am choosing. The magic here is, with DIY, there are a vast number of possibilities in choosing components. Only a point to point configuration will allow EVERYTHING to fit, but that makes the PCB effort moot.

Popbumper9.gif

Cornwall B network has a 2.0 uF and 4.0 uF capacitor and a 2.5 mHy solid core inductor. A fairly simple network where anyone can choose to replace the two capacitors in each network and give it a try. I went from Hovlands to Jensen's PIO and am quite happy. Al's network is more complex with more parts.

The Jensen's do give a more mellow sound (rolled off?), but I do like it. Sort of like Einstein's comment, "Everything that can be counted doesn't necessarily count; everything that counts can't necessarily be counted." As long as it works for you and you like the sound, then go for it. Al has measured the Jensen's and they were not very accurate, but... it is an option.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

STL:

Actually, the timing of your question could not be better, I stopped by the layout guy's desk this AM, and he had started the layout. I need to tweak the AutoCAD drawings this weekend and give him some more detail, but essentially it is underway. I am hoping I can go to fabrication in two weeks; at least that is personally what I would hope for.

More soon, thanks for asking!

Popbumper