Around $600 to spend - need suggestions

meuge

----------------

On 12/22/2004 12:24:47 PM CAS wrote:

scp53:

What subs have you auditioned? What subs do you own. The DIY direction is a great way to save some cash (I've bulit a few myself), but have you put them side by side with some good manufactured subs? I'm just curious if you know what real SPL, real extension (I'm talking subsonic 16 Hz wall shaking transients in a large room), and a flat response is like. Not meant to be arrogant in my asking. I'm just curious. DIY is great, but definitely not the end all to subs.

----------------

See, I won't know what the extension and flatness will sound in a large room. I live in a 10x16 hole, and due to gross financial constraints I am highly unlikely to be moving anywhere in the next few years.

My reference instrument is a piano, and the lowest note on the piano is around 27Hz i believe. So what I really want, is a sub which will be able to keep up with my speakers in terms of output and in terms of sonic clarity (!) down to 25Hz. I don't really need room-shaking subsonics at sub-20Hz levels because I have neighbors - I just want clean music reproduction and a good bass-drum kick.

Btw - thanks for a lovely discussion everyone!

So what I really want, is a sub which will be able to keep up with my speakers in terms of output and in terms of sonic clarity (!) down to 25Hz. I don't really need room-shaking subsonics at sub-20Hz levels because I have neighbors - I just want clean music reproduction and a good bass-drum kick.

So... What's wrong with your current sub?

I have a STF-3 and it matches all your criteria except for size, so it sounds like your current sub is perfect (It's a MK 2, right?)

I'm just curious if you know what real SPL, real extension (I'm talking subsonic 16 Hz wall shaking transients in a large room), and a flat response is like.

---------------------------------------------------

i know these sub kits dont extend very far, im not promoting them because of this. flatness, im not the best judge of this but i know what it is and sounds like. spl is probably my shortfall. i can roughly tell what the spl is but its hard to tell when you get in the low bass range thats still audible.

as far as comparing, ive heard some paridigm(spelling?), klipsch rsw/rw, and some other subs. i can say that the titanic sounds just as good as the rsw12. but then agian that my opinion.

scp53

----------------

On 12/22/2004 2:03:57 PM Scp53 wrote:

I'm just curious if you know what real SPL, real extension (I'm talking subsonic 16 Hz wall shaking transients in a large room), and a flat response is like.

---------------------------------------------------

i know these sub kits dont extend very far, im not promoting them because of this. flatness, im not the best judge of this but i know what it is and sounds like. spl is probably my shortfall. i can roughly tell what the spl is but its hard to tell when you get in the low bass range thats still audible.

as far as comparing, ive heard some paridigm(spelling?), klipsch rsw/rw, and some other subs. i can say that the titanic sounds just as good as the rsw12. but then agian that my opinion.

scp53

----------------

One thing to think about. The way your sub sounds in your house is very, very different than what a sub sounds like at the dealer. The room is usually larger and less sealed, the sub is never corner loaded, it's surrounded by other electronic equipment, it's been abused over and over by less-than-professional sales people, etc etc. Your sub is put in the sweet spot, corner loaded, properly calibrated, and placed in a room half the size.

The RSW-12 is no lighweight. I find it hard to believe that the titanic (opinion since I've never built one myself) would out gun or out class the RSW-12, but it's all hearsay until I put them side by side. It would be helpful to create (or find) some performance data on the Titanics so we can more quantitatively compare.

In any case, it's all up to the budget and the buyer's ears.10.gif

One thing to think about. The way your sub sounds in your house is very, very different than what a sub sounds like at the dealer. The room is usually larger and less sealed, the sub is never corner loaded, it's surrounded by other electronic equipment, it's been abused over and over by less-than-professional sales people, etc etc. Your sub is put in the sweet spot, corner loaded, properly calibrated, and placed in a room half the size.

The RSW-12 is no lighweight. I find it hard to believe that the titanic (opinion since I've never built one myself) would out gun or out class the RSW-12, but it's all hearsay until I put them side by side. It would be helpful to create (or find) some performance data on the Titanics so we can more quantitatively compare.

In any case, it's all up to the budget and the buyer's ears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually the rsw 12 i listened to was in a sealed room, brand new(only been there for a few days), and hadn't been abused. as for mine, mine isn't corner loaded at all. just near a wall.

and as far as "out gun" the rsw. im not talking about mine. quality wise it would be equal and spl the rsw12 would obviously win. however, the titanic 12 kit would give that rsw12 a very good run for its money- both SQ and SPL. call up PE, they tell you it puts out around 110 db at listening position in most rooms. im sure the rsw12 is somewhere around there- 110-115db. now the titanic 15" is a different story, that will own the rsw12 and can keep up with the rsw15. i cant find the poster but he was resonably knowledgable and said the titanic 15 sounded as good as the klipsch. if the klipsch is a tad better than these kits i still dont i could justify spending another $700-1000 more on one. and when you say abuse, i dont think that affects the floor models a huge amount. i mean, either it works or it doesnt kind of deal. the shop near me knows what the limits are. every time ive been there they behave with the equipment. do you think a sub could be damaged and still work fine? i think the only way to damage one is to over extend the driver- bottoming or tear the suspension. unless the amp clips and frys the coil.

scp53

----------------

On 12/22/2004 5:16:08 PM Scp53 wrote:

quality wise it would be equal and spl the rsw12 would obviously win. however, the titanic 12 kit would give that rsw12 a very good run for its money- both SQ and SPL. call up PE, they tell you it puts out around 110 db at listening position in most rooms. im sure the rsw12 is somewhere around there- 110-115db. now the titanic 15" is a different story, that will own the rsw12 and can keep up with the rsw15. i cant find the poster but he was resonably knowledgable and said the titanic 15 sounded as good as the klipsch. if the klipsch is a tad better than these kits i still dont i could justify spending another $700-1000 more on one. and when you say abuse, i dont think that affects the floor models a huge amount. i mean, either it works or it doesnt kind of deal. the shop near me knows what the limits are. every time ive been there they behave with the equipment. do you think a sub could be damaged and still work fine? i think the only way to damage one is to over extend the driver- bottoming or tear the suspension. unless the amp clips and frys the coil.

scp53

----------------

No offense at all. It just doesn't sound like you have much experience with subs. I've been buying, using and abusing subs since 1994. I've got one that I've had for nearly a decade now and it is not a bit similar in performance compared to what it used to be capable of (though in 1995 the driver was had for only $200 which, in those day, was considered expensive).

I don't mean to justify spending $1000 more on a sub just because it says Klipsch (if you notice, I haven't and wouldn't buy one at retail either). Just letting you know that the manufactured options offer a better product than you might think. Give it a try.

I would like to put my 2 cents in, too.

For 600$, I would certainly go to Hometheaterforum.com and browse the flea market. They usually have SVS subs for sale for pretty dang cheap. I got my SVS 25-31PC+ for $580 local pickup. This monster was only a year old and I still got 2 years left on the warranty (SVS honors second ownership).

Go used.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the option that (yet again) noone has suggested....

Klipsch RW-12. I brought mine home for $550 including sales tax, from a local authorized dealer with an actual return policy.

I've already learned around this forum, I guess, that if you go Klipsch you'd better go RSW or you're not really "in the club". Just like the poor saps who buy the Synergy series... It may say Klipsch on the front but it's like you just bought a BMW 318 when a "real" fan gets the 325. 9.gif

In any case, the RW-12 sounds great and it sails in far enough under your price point that you can get a good cable.