Classical Talk - have we covered Opera?

maxg

I just did a quick search of the archives and think we missed out on Opera. We cant have done surely?

It is a funny thing - this is probably the Genre I listen to most - and yet find it almost impossible to know where to start - maybe those facts are related!!?

OK - well I am on a Verdi kick at the moment (actually I am often on a Verdi kick - but this time I am focussing on the Operas I dont listen to that often.

Verdi did a lot of Opera's - about 20 I would guess, of which I have 9 - not including multiple copies of the same opera.

In vague order of preference:

La Traviata

Renato Scotti Der Mailander

Scala

Antonino Votto

Deutche Grammaphon

2727 004

Stereo

Germany

2 record set

It is not that this is such a great recording - just that it is the only copy (of 4) that is listenable to due to the condition of the vinyl. This is far and away the best Deutche Gramaphon I have ever come across in that respect. Renato does a very reasonable job and orchestration is fine. Very enjoyable listening - I do it about twice a month I would guess.

Aida

Price/Vickers/Merrill

Rome Opera House

Georg Solti

DECCA ffss

427-9

Stereo

Holland

Box Set (3 records)

This might be the best combo of recording and performance quality out there for Aida. Aida is simply a massive opera - there are scenes where you would swear there are more than 1000 voices in harmony and this recording really seems to let you hear the echos of the Great Pyramids.

In the temple scenes - with the massed voices of the male and female priests seeming a mile away outside the temple to the back one is hard pushed to find another recording of such scope. In a different vein entirely the only thing that really comes close IME is Berlioz Requiem.

When Leontyne hits front stage against that backdrop the effect is mesmerizing - a recording that will make an RF15 sound like a Khorn!

I am sure Wolfram will concur here as he has the very same recording. Although as he already has Khorns I have no idea what it will make them sound like!!?

Rigoletto

Richard Tucker, Renato Capecchi

Teatro Di San Carlo Di Napoli

Francesco Molinari-Pradelli

Fontana

SFL14005-6

Stereo

Italy

This is what I was listening to last night as it happens. The above recording is not nearly as good as:

Rigoletto

Sutherland/Pavarotti/Milnes

London Symphony

Richard Bonynge

DECCA ffss

542-4

Stereo

UK

Box Set (3 records)

Which I also own - but heartbreakingly record 2 is missing from the box! I bough the thing for a song and didnt check the vinyl. The great news for me is that a certain forum member is sending me a new copy of this box set along with various others. If record 2 is missing from that one too I will curl up and die!

However, none of all the above really matters a jot as the music is sublime. Best known Aria from this opera is probably La Donne Mobile - done by Pavarotti it will melt the soul, but even done by Tucker it will get me everytime. But the key here is not to lose focus on the rest of the Opera - there are moments sublime - I am getting too lyrical - ever onwards.

Il Trovatore

Carreras/Ricciarelli/Masurok

Royal Opera House Covent Garden

Colin Davis

Philips

6769 063

Stereo

Holland

Box Set (3 records)

Digital Recording

For some reason this has never been a favorite Opera of mine. Basically that is because I am an IDIOT. This thread was inspired by the fact I sat my *** down and listened to the thing all the way through over Sunday and Monday night. It is simply sublime - and Carreras was borne for this role.

Philips generally do a wonderful job of managing to make recordings that never get in the way of the music. They are not so ungodly good that you listen to the recording and not the music, whilst being good enough to totally forget about them and emerse yourself.

Notice this is a digtial recording - then forget about it - it does not seem to matter a jot. I see many hours of listeing to this one over the years ahead - and only regret the stupidity of leaving it so long to get properly acquainted.

Ernani

Price/Bergonzi/Sereni/Flagello

RCA Italiana Opera

Thomas Schippers

RCA Victor Red Seal

RE-5572-4

Mono

UK

Box Set (3 records)

I am a bit more dubious about saying this one does not do it for me in the light of my discovery with Il Trovadore. I will re-familiarize myself with the piece boefre passing further commment.

Attila Excerpts

Ruggero Raimondi

Royal Philharmonic

Lamberto Gardelli

Philips 6570 064

Stereo

Holland

Same again really - I have not been impressed to date but who knows. I am fairly sure it is not on a par with the best (Aida, Rigoletto et al).

Macbeth

Rysanek/Bergonzi/Warren/Hines

Metropolitan Opera

Erich Leinsdorf

RCA Victrola

VICS 6121

Stereo

UK

Box Set (3 records)

Nabucco highlights

Opera

Suliotis / Gobbi / Cava

Vienna State Opera Chorus

Gardelli

Decca

SET 367

Stereo

UK

I put these last 2 together as they are the newest additions to my collection. The Nabucco is good - but the quality of the recording (surface noise) is not. Still not listened to Macbeth properly. Nabucco should certainly be higher up the order but as I said a lack of familiarity leaves it here for now.

Hmmm...one missing....hang on: Search search search....ah ha!

I Lombardi (excerpts)

Deutekom / Domingo / Raimondi

Royal Philharmonic

Lamberto Gardelli

Philips

6570 065

Stereo

Holland

Er - cant remember it - only listened to it once - another to review later on.

OK - I will stop there to let others concentrate on other composers. Maybe we should take one each.

Reading this thread - I dont actually know much about Verdi's operas do I? Not a good sign as he is my favorite composer.

Lets see if experts on Puccini, Rossini, Mozart, Bizet, Wagner etc. fair any better...unless someone wants to improve on this poor Verdi summation that is...

Classical music is my preference but Opera is at the end of my list. However I do like to listen to an opera on occasion.

Verdi is at the bottom of my opera listening. In fact, I just can't hack him. Puccini (Turandot & Madame Butterfly) is near the top as well as Richard Strauss's "Electra" and Bela Bartok's "Bluebeard's Castle".

And then there is my 3 favorite operas. Philip Glass's "Satygraha", "Ahknaton "& "Einstein on the Beach". Not traditional, but I was, and still am fascinated and spiritually moved by the music of Philip Glass. More so than any other composer. You (almost always) either love or hate Glass's music. I saw him perform "Einstein" live in the mid 70's when it was a new work. The experience is still vivid.

Einstein on the Beach

The Philip Glass Ensemble

Tomato label

TOM-4-2901

4 record set

I taped Ahknaton & Satygraha onto cassette from a broadcast premier here in NYC back in the 80's. I still listen to those tapes these days! Of course both operas are available on LP & CD.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Bach, Brahms & Mahler to Glass but for an occaisonal listening (not a steady diet) Glass is just so special and awe insipiring.

I love listening to Opera's by Handel, he is by far my favorite Baroque composer. It has elements of his chamber music such as the Concerto Grosso's mixed with wonderful soprano and baritone voices makes it a treat to listen to. Such as suddenly they are singing a slow somber aria and then suddenly it bursts into a fast paced concerto grosso in Allegro and the baritone just belts out a tune that is just sublime.

Opera's such as Julius Ceasar, Xerxes, Ariodante, Messiah, Semele, Almira, Hercules, etc....

Max,

thanks for starting this thread, I have just been too busy to do a lot of close listening and there was certainly no time for writing.

Opera I love it. Verdi? Indeed a composer I enjoy and not only since I got myself Khorns. The Solti Aida I like as well, but I also have a soft spot for the early Karajan on Decca, basically because of Carlo Bergonzi singing Radames. Vickers is different and quite intense as usual. Actually I find a lot of todays opera singers not really the best choices for their roles. Granted, I have not heard Carreras in Trovatore, but his voice is surely too light. But then this goes for many of todays recordings where contractual obligations are more important than artistic considerations (of course IMO). Take Domingo or Pavarotti: many people know those two artists, but compare them for example in Otello (one of my favourites amongst Verdis operas) to Martinelli and you suddenly realize how little they actually convey of the characters passion. Milnes as Rigoletto...sure, why not, but I prefer Warren (actually a good recording of Macbeth), Merril, Gobbi or best of all Lawrence Tibbett (one of the great Verdi singers BTW). The same applies to sopranos I guess, but I am more into male voices.

One Verdi opera not so far is his Don Carlos. I like the old DG version with Boris Christoff and Ettore Bastianini as Posa. The rest of the cast is not in their class, but those two make the album a must buy in my dictionary. If you want to hear the work in its original French version, consider the live recording with Alagna on EMI.

Wagner? There was a time when I played his operas almost on a daily basis, but for many he is an acquired taste and I think he deserves a separate thread.

I am glad Richard Strauss has been mentioned. May I add Salome to the list? A modern recording which IS good comes from DG conducted by the late Giuseppe Sinopoli.

Mozart? Figaro and Don Giovanni are my favourites. Why not Solti in Figaro? Its digital but that doesnt spoil the recording for me. For the Don Giovanni I often play the classic Giulini on EMI, but if you dont mind mono and appreciate great voices/singing try the old Bruno Walter recorded live at the MET in 1942.

And two more Puccini suggestions: for La Boheme try Toscanini (say hello to Tucker again) and Turandot is excellent too (try Mehta on Decca or if you want a more fitting soprano in the title role- one of the two recording with Birgit Nilsson EMI or RCA).

Just some suggestions, I guess I'll add more once my holidays start 3.gif2.gif .

Wolfram

Wolfram,

Interesting response - especially as you classify Opera's by the conductor - which is something I rarely do - focussing on the singers first, then the orchestra and the location, then the conductor.

Mention of La Boheme by Mark - I hope that was with Callas singing. I have a highlights re-release on Greek vinyl of Callas doing Boheme that is sublime!

Puccini

La Boheme

Maria Callas

Del Teatro alla Scala

Antonio Votto

EMI

063-18298

Stereo

Greece

If you can find it - get it - costs pennies to buy and will be kept a lifetime - I promise!

I have 2 Madame Butterfly copies and 2 Toscas to throw in, whilst we are Puccining (I had no idea it was his birthday yesterday BTW)

Madame Butterfly

Renata Tebaldi Di Santa Cecilia

Rome

Tullio Serafin

London

OS 25084

Stereo

US

FFSS

Madame Butterfly

Rosalind Elias

RCA Italiano Opera and Chorus

Erich Leinsdorf

RCA Victor Red Seal

LSC-2840

Stereo

US

Dynagroove

Tosca

Milanov / Bjoerling / Warren

Rome Opera House

Leinsdorf

RCA Victrola

VICS 6000

Stereo

US

Box Set

Tosca

Jose Carreras

Berliner Philharmoniker

Herbert Von Karajan

Deutche Grammaphon

2537 058

Stereo

Germany

Shall we cover Rossini whilst we are here?

2 of these:

The audiophile version:

Barber of Seville

Hermann Prey

Berlin Philharmonic

Otmar Suitner

Analogue Audio Association

EPH-18

Stereo

Germany

The Callas version:

Barber of Seville

Tito Gorbi / Maria Callas

Philharmonia

Alceo Galliera

Colombia

SAX 2438

Stereo

UK

And we better include this to keep Wolfram happy!!

Otello

Carreras/Frederica Von Stade

Philharmonia

Jesus Lopez Cobos

Philips

6769 023

Stero

Holland

Box Set (3 records)

That will do for now - someone want to start on Mozart?

Max,

I am not sure if I really value the conductor more highly than singers when it comes to opera. Bearing that in mind I'd hardly choose a recording with Prey as first option (neither in Rossini nor in Mozart)....nor the DG Karajan 'Tosca' because the soprano is not really up to the role (IMHO).

I assume the Otello you have included is by Rossini which I admit being totally unfamiliar with. Have you listened to Verdi's version?

And what about 'the ' Russian opera: Moussorksky's 'Boris Godounov'? I'd suggest either of the Boris Christoff (as Boris etc) recordings (EMI - the older one in mono) or the Karajan/Ghiaurov on Decca.

And those who like Puccini will certainly also like the famous verismo couple of 'Cavalleria Rusticana' (by Mascagni) and 'I Pagliacci' (by Leoncavallo). Again I am not into Domingo or Pavarotti, but if stereo is wanted go for Bergonzi/Karajan on DG who really brings out all the beauty of the orchestration (for once without overpowering his singers!). But there is also a slightly shortened live recording of 'Pagliacci' with Martinelli/Tibett from 1941 -sublime!

Wolfram

"I assume the Otello you have included is by Rossini which I admit being totally unfamiliar with. Have you listened to Verdi's version?"

Whoops - tee hee - I hadnt noticed we were referring to different operas - LOL.

If I find the Verdi I'll get it!

Boris is not really my cup of tea, I do have a good copy of it though:

Mussorgsky

Boris Godounov

Alexander Kipnis

Victor Symphony and Orchestra

Nicolai Berezowsky

RCA Victrola

VIC-1396

Mono

US

For Verdi's 'Otello' I suggest the early (1960) Jon Vickers recording on RCA. I think this is a Living Stereo recording and I am hoping that one day it will be reissued as SACD. I have no idea if vinyl copies are difficult to obtain, but even on RBCD I'd get the set simply for artistic reasons.

Wolfram