SET watts vs. Push/Pull Watts?

delano

hello again,

In my last post I discussed getting the mapletree mono's for my heresy's. According to the website they are 8 max watts each but they are not SET, they are Push/Pull. As a newbie I don't know the difference between the two

when discussing the wattage.

Is 8 watts push/pull more than 8 watts SET and are my heresy II's efficient enough. They will be used in a small room (9x12) for mostly jazz.

I spoke to the person who makes them and he stated that he sold a pair to someone recently who have speakers that are 88 dec. sensitivity and are very happy with the sound. Just wondering if anybody else has this combo?

thanks

Delano

Hi. The Heresys have less sensitivity than my Klipschorns. I think they're around 97db for 1 watt measured at 1 metre. My Klipschorns are around 104 db. So 8 watts would drive the K'horns much louder. But in a small room with the Heresys, as long as you listen at reasonable levels, you'll certainly obtain sufficient level for jazz. The only concern I'd have, is whether this amp is a genuine 8 watts. Some tube amps are measured at a specific frequency rather than all frequencies at once (pink noise).

I'm not sure whether 8 watts SET would be preferable to 8 watts PP. I will watch this thread with interest as others more knowledgeable than I, contribute their opinions. 4.gif

Delano,

8 Watts is plenty with Heresys. My 300B SET (8WPC) will drive them to 100Db cleanly. More important is the first watt. That will get you to about an 85Db average listening level. Plenty in most circumstances.

If your going to use them at a party, just have a SS integrated amp to power them up to 100Db. It won't be as sweet but at a party you are looking for effect not subtleness.

For your critical listening at normal levels, you won't have a problem.IMHO,YMMV,etc.1.gif

Rick