My favorite album of 2004...

chuckears

I did not purchase very much new music this past year; there is not very much coming out recently that has compelled me to spend my $10 - $18, just to listen to once or twice; DVD and film seems to have taken over my music purchasing, at least for now.

However, of the albums I did purchase, the one that has hardly left the disc changer is one I have heard next to nothing about:

Mary Chapin-Carpenter's Between Here and Gone

(I don't know if it's my age that is showing; I have been listening to a lot more female artists in recent years: Sarah McLachlan, Dido, Avril, Evanescence)

...and the aforementioned M.C.C. has really struck a chord with my ear on this newest release.

The bulk of the album was apparantly recorded just after Sept. 2001; one song in particular, "Grand Central Station", is told from the point of view of one of the WTC clean-up effort workers. There are a couple of upbeat numbers, but most of the songs are quieter and laid-back, very introspective, and incur a feeling in me that makes it seem as though warm liquid is running through my muscles and bones.

Other noteworthy tracks are "In My Heaven", "Girls Like Me", and the title track.

Check this one out, if y'all haven't already; even if you don't like Country (and I despise most of what I refer to as "Yee-Ha Music"), this album is definitely outside of the red-neck mainstream.

I hate to mention it, but one of my guilty pleasures this year has been Avril Levigne's second album, Under My Skin. She has really toughened up some of her lyrics (no sk8terboys here), and still knows how to throw out a musical hook. She definitely had more up her sleeve than "Complicated", of which I understand she is just as sick as the rest of us.

One other album I am going to mention is, for the most part disappointing, but there are a couple of gems on Switchfoot's The Beautiful Letdown. "Meant to Live" was one I liked from the very start; "Dare You to Move" snuck up on me, and has become my second favorite from the album; besides "24" and "More Than Fine", the rest seems like just so much filler (kind of like most of Evanescence's debut album, with the exception of the two songs that were in Daredevil).

It is a letdown to not have a new Lord of the Rings soundtrack this year; in fact, there are have not been any film soundtracks since ROTK that have sent me running to buy after having seeing the film (although, I have yet to see Ray).

That's the short list of what has interested me from the past year; hopefully, someone will come busting in, out, or wherever, with some sonic revelation next year that will make me want to start a thread about my favorites in 2005...

I would have to say my favorite CD of 2004 is Kasey Chambers - Wayward Angel. If anyone is unfamiliar with her she is from Australia. Her music is a mix of Folk/Country/Roots. She writes all her own songs and has such a sweet "little girlish voice". Her other 2 US releases are "The Captain" and "Barricades and Brickwalls" and are also VERY GOOD!! Anyone else here a fan of her's?

I've seen her twice in the last two years. Once at the Three Rivers Arts Festival in downtown Pittsburgh and the other at Hartwood Acres. She puts on a great show. She is really underappreciated in most circles. I'm glad we have a great local radio station here in PGB that plays a variety of non mainstream music. IT's wyep 91.3 and I think it's on the web you should give it a listen. Great variety.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 8:51:47 AM chuckears wrote:

Hmmm; guess my original topic wasn't enough to keep this thread going - looks like this ship has been boarded...

You might say it's "Between Here and Gone..."

9.gif

----------------

Too bad.

It would have been interesting to read what other members here selected for their best albums of the year....

8.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You know; the Ashlee Simpson Orange Bowl thread has, at the time I write this, 746 views; I know that watching\hearing her, um, "performance" is good for a few laughs, or at least regurgitations.

What bugs the crap out of me is how many albums this so-called artist has sold; when there is actual good music out there that no one bothers with.

I know that most of the readers of this forum are a cut above the Ashlee-Britney-Lohan-Duff listeners... so how about it? What kicked your a$$es in 2004; what could I go plunk down 14.95 for, and discover something that is new and wonderful?

Alison Krauss and Union Station, the two album live one-----forget the name, but I'm gonna wear my CW's out listening to it.

I just got her current album, Lonely runs both ways, and it is okay, but i MUCH prefer the live album.......excellent dobro (sp?) player

c'mon guys, 'fess up to what ya listening to

----------------

On 12/29/2004 9:35:06 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

B0002ZDX20.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Truly great.

----------------

Yikes...Camper Van Beethoven is Back?????

I thought that they became little less than BirdSeed when they transformed into Cracker..

I'll have to check it out...

In the mean-time, new listeners...catch this, Real Early/Great Disc

Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart...

Fun fun fun