My favorite album of 2004...

chuckears

EDIT POST..

SORRY AGAIN Chuck, but you really had be going on that 'deaf and dumb' post. My response was pretty brutal and uncalled for and I apologize. I noted your retraction and edited my post on the 'stuff that makes difference' thread.

I'll bite at your topic and agree that there isn't much in the way of new music that excites me. I always pick any new offering by any of my old standard fave, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Yes or any of their offshoots, but although they may have a release in 2004, I won't count it for purposes of this thread.

Instead how bout a piece of NEW music I got at Virgin records NYC in March 2004. I have an annual seminar in the Cape and NYC is a fave stopping place.

Tha' Hot Club is 'hip-hop smooth urban jazz' which is to say that it's songs from Beyonce (Crazy in Love) and other cool modern artists redone retaining the heavy beat and bass, but with sax lines instead of the lead vocals. Makes a great party mix and you can talk over it since the vox aren't screaming at ya. Other songs 'Right Thurr', 'Hot in Heere (take off all my clothes)', etc. IT's on Shanachie records 5109. get it, it's hot!

Michael (now how's that for makin up- ok?)

END EDIT

This is one of those squirrelly threads that started out as one thing (my trying to share with people about how good M.C.C.'s album was); then trying to morph it into kind of a poll about favorite albums from last year; the subject line is not even suitable for the endeavor, and my first post is a rambling shamble of a statement.

Sorry, folks... I am having trouble focusing lately; 65 hour work weeks, winter blues, and a cold that won't go away...

We'll just let this one lay back down for a long winters' (or what's left of it) nap...5.gif

BTW, thanks for the encouragement, Michael...

----------------

On 3/4/2005 8:32:44 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

While released just a smidge before '04 began, it was THE ALBUM of 2004 for us. The most played new title in our household - and we witnessed the tour as well........

Neil Young's GREENDALE

----------------

Neil Young is God. Some might think that Eric Clapton is God, but they would be wrong.

----------------

On 3/4/2005 5:43:15 PM chuckears wrote:

----------------

While released just a smidge before '04 began, it was THE ALBUM of 2004 for us. The most played new title in our household - and we witnessed the tour as well........

Neil Young's GREENDALE

----------------

Neil Young is God. Some might think that Eric Clapton is God, but they would be wrong.

----------------

Chuck, I will try to be nice, but voice my thoughts.

....Anyone else?.... Is Neil Young considered to be great guitar player? Does he have an outstanding voice? Is he a wonderful composer?

Neither Neil or Eric are GOD. ....But, at least Clapton can play his instrument.

Just a comment from a "southern man".

Terry

----------------

On 3/4/2005 9:21:44 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

On 3/4/2005 5:43:15 PM chuckears wrote:

----------------

Neil Young's GREENDALE

----------------

----------------

Chuck, I will try to be nice, but voice my thoughts.

....Anyone else?.... Is Neil Young considered to be great guitar player? Does he have an outstanding voice? Is he a wonderful composer?

Neither Neil or Eric are GOD. ....But, at least Clapton can play his instrument.

Just a comment from a "southern man".

Terry

----------------

9.gif That's classic. "Play some Skyneered"

I also like MCC -I have most of her albums. And Kasey Chambers is the real deal, too. I guess I have all three American releases: The Captain, Barricades and Brick Walls (my fave, so far), and the new one, which I haven't really gotten familiar with yet.

But my favorite release of 2004, just off the top of my big, fat head would be a tie between Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home", and the Brad Mehldau Trio's "Anything Goes". Both are outstanding, IMHO. I guess everyone knows the Norah Jones "sound" from her hits. Well, "Feels Like Home" is an even stronger collection than "Come Away With Me". And The Brad Mehldau title, man, it is just amazing! Think Vince Gauraldi, updated. And the sound is just tremendous. You will swear the trio is in the room with you.

ps - i just thought of some honorable mentions: "Shade" by Holly Cole (import only), "The Delivery Man" by Elvis Costello, and "Twentysomething" by Jamie Cullum. These are all 5-star records as far as i'm concerned. BUY'EM NOW!! Sound-wise, I'd rate the Holly Cole disc a 5 (of 5), Jamie Cullum's a 4, and EC's a 3. The Norah Jones CD is a solid 4+ for sound, too.

and for everybody lamenting the high price of music -- JOIN A CLUB! I get music from Columbia House and BMG, delivered, for $6-9 per disc.