Santa gave me a heresy

khorn58

----------------

On 12/24/2004 11:00:21 PM khorn58 wrote:

Santa just sent me a 63 heresy and it a perfect match to the one I have it's one # off which means its the one that was sold new with mine.

----------------

Amazing! What are the odds of that happening!

Michael-

Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to take credit for reuniting the Model H's but it was Tom Mobley and Khorn58 that made it happen. I'm actually responsible for splitting the pair up!

I sent these twins their separate ways so both Forum members could use them each as a center speaker. These are older Model H's with a shallower cabinet as originally designed for center channel use. But this pair was obviously bought and used for years as a stereo pair. The popularity of these little Klipschs for mains led PWK to make some changes to optimize the Heresy for mains use.

Now that Tom has completed his beautiful Belle project, it makes sense for his Model H to get back together with its sibling. This type of exchange is what is so cool and unique about this Forum!

All I can say is, it's a good thing we don't all live in the same town--I think we would be swapping stuff around non-stop!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Michael-

I feel exactly the same way. In fact, these zero interest credit cards are gonna be the death of me yet. Any time a decent pair of used Klipsch anything comes up at any of the local shops, I just buy them and put them on the card if the price is fair. I play with them for a while and compare them to my other speakers then usually sell them on the Forum (hopefully before the bill collector starts repossessing my stuff). It's great if you can break even, but even if I lose a little on each transaction, it's an inexpensive education on the different models. What would it cost if you could rent this stuff (which you can't) for a few months to a year?

For example, I've had 5 pairs of Heresys over the last few years, if memory serves the vintages were: 1963 (this pair), 1972, 1976, 1979, and 1981. They all went to Forum members except the 1976's which I still have and all of them sounded a bit different. The pair with the best bass was the 1972's and the bass on that pair was dramatically better than any of the others.

I'm sorry to say I didn't do any measurements at the time, but the difference was easily heard on many different recordings where the bass would start to disappear in the lower registers with the other Heresys. I'm still trying to figure out why--the 72's did have alnico woofers with fabric surrounds. Man, did they sound good! I think this is another reason why Forum members have so many differnt opinions on the Heresy's bass response. We chalk up a lot of individual opinions here on the Forum to personal taste, different musical material, different amps, and of course room acoustics, but with all else being equal, some of these examples of the same speakers just plain sound different. Then of course there's all the different Klipsch models to explore...

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

On 12/25/2004 1:55:26 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

possibly somewhat less than a million to one since we both got our Model H's from that master packer Triceratops. However, I agree that the whole incident is highly suspicious. I fear the Democrats in King County have struck again.....

----------------

Tom, very astute!

Yep, like we like to say up here in Wash, just count 'em again until you get the number you like! I wonder why we even bother to vote in the first place?!

Those *())#@?! King County Bastages!

DM2.gif