? did i blow a speak, or is it my turntable

joessportster

allright a new wrinkle in my system, first what i am running, a phase linear 400, a phase linear 4000 preamp, a phase linear 5000 tuner, an onkyo dx 703 cd player, and my cornwall series 1, and an onkyo cp 1260 f, with an orifon om 3e cartridge stylus

now to the wrinkle i was listening to santana zebop (winning) not much bass there i turned it up and immediately got a fludder in the speakers(bass), i instantly turned down the volume as i was still at the knob i pulled the grills and both bass speakers upon turning up the volume not really loud maybe at 10 oclock on the dial, began to fludder again of course giveing off distortion again i turned it way down and the speakers still seem to have alot of movement, i then turned off the turntable and tried the tuner at much louder volume i had absolutely no fludder or distortion, i also tried a cd and again no problems at all there any ideas what could cause this.

there may be one other thing that may help identify this i do have alot of what i would call feedback(but im not sure that is the correct term) when i touch the turntable or the dust cover and actually anything close to the turntable i will get a definate bass sound thru the speakers and at one point if i closed the dust cover while playing a record the noise was constant and actually overpowered the music all advice will be appreciated thanks Joe

Sounds to me that you've got two things going on here.

1. You are definitely getting acoustic and mechanical feedback and need to find some way to isolate the turntable better. Make sure also that your TT is not too close to either of your speakers.

2. You are also experiencing infrasonic pickup which means that your TT is picking up or possibly even generating frequencies below the threshold of hearing ( typically at around 10hz. ). This too would likely be alleviated by isolating the TT better. If not it may be time to look for a different table.

Do you use a lot of bass boost ? If so backing off on the bass may also help.

This is not a problem to ignore as it can actually cause problems for your woofers and possibly the power amp.

(PS Why the Hello do you need 200 watts/channel with Cornwalls ? Seems like overkill but To each his own. )

i appreciate the responses, and i was hopeing to hear just this i suspected turntable as the problem but as they say 2 heads are better than 1, i dont need 200 watts but it is what i already have i am comtimplating selling the phase gear to purchase some tube gear, but i really love the look and sound of the phase i know i dont need 200 w p c but it is what i started with, and as far as the turntable goes i just purchased a thorens 160 and supposed to pick that up on monday i have a plan to build and install a wall mounted shelf that will set me further away from the speakers as it sets now i am 6 feet away will be about 9 feet with the new set up again i appreciate all the responses its great to have a place to voice concerns and get advice this site is awsome

That Thorens TD160 is a damned nice TT !

Please keep us posted.

Even though I am a "bottlehead" ( ie Tube Freak ) I suggest that you resolve the issues you are experiencing with your TT( TTs) before changing out your PL gear. The steps you are considering will likely resolve those issues. The Onkyo TT you have is a "DJ" unit and presumably built like a tank for durability which also suggests that survivability was a more important issue to the engineers than musicality.

It is unlikely that you will ever be able to totally recreate the bass slam of the PL400 with a tube setup but on the other hand you may well find that a quality tube amp paired with your Cornwalls will deliver a sound that is more satisfying overall.That is not to suggest however that you will find that the bass with Cornwalls is anaemic when driven by a decent tube amp.

I won't launch into a long monologue about the differences here except to suggest that after pairing the Cornwalls with a good tube amp you will understand why I say " There is no going back"

Some recievers and preamps have a low filter button if you do just turn it on,,,,i think its the arm of the TT moving up and down causing your problem. You need to level the TT and then set the cartridge force around 1 to 1 1/2 grams depending on your arm and cartridge.Do you have a Shure cartrige balance?,,,Rick Tate

happy to hear the thorens is nice T T i havent heard one and i basically read alot of reviews got what i thought was a good price 112.50 so i bought it, there is no filter switch on my set up it does have the correlator for noise reduction though but i dont really care for that much as it takes away from the sound considerably, i did find my ground stud is loose i will have to fix that tomarrow to late to try and take the system apart tonight i will keep you posted on my progress especially when i get the thorens thanks again for all the support Joe

----------------

On 12/25/2004 9:47:16 PM ricktate wrote:

Some recievers and preamps have a low filter button if you do just turn it on,,,,i think its the arm of the TT moving up and down causing your problem. You need to level the TT and then set the cartridge force around 1 to 1 1/2 grams depending on your arm and cartridge.Do you have a Shure cartrige balance?,,,Rick Tate

----------------

well i picked up my thorens 160 today just got home as a matter of fact, hooked her up and cant begin to tell you the difference this thing makes, completely seems to have gotten rid of the feedback problem, kinda weird this has no ground wire on it, only thing that i thought was a little cheesey is they made the original base out of particle board with a vinyl wood sticker for the wood effect, am definately going to make a solid oak base for her. this thing sounds great just setting it on the cabinet and playing a couple songs cant wait till i get the wall shelf done and set this up according to the specs, will have to sound better, thank you alll so much for the help AGAIN Joe