System on a very small budget

damonrpayne

My future in laws are looking for a home theater system. They've got a nice TV, and I lent them one of my older dd/dts receivers. Now they are looking for speakers. They are looking to spend less than $1,000 for a 5.1 system which they will assemble bit by bit.

I'd like to steer them towards Klipsch but I'm not familiar with the lower cost products. The synergy system we heard in Indy was pretty nice but even that is way over $1k am I right? Their room is medium sized, I'd guess 13x20 or so. They are by no means audiophiles, I just want to steet them towards something good on a small budget. (I usually dream big so I'm not good at avising for this type of thing)

Please Include MSRP in your suggestions. Klipsch is my 1st choice of course but other store brands are possible.

Try this:

2xRSX-5s, 2xRSX-4s, 1xRCX-4, 1xRW-10, Panasonic XR-50. It's a bit less than what I'd like to see in a HT, but it'll be a fine system.

A better option would be RC-25, 4xRB-25 and the same sub and receiver, but it's somewhat more expensive ($400 more or so, working from memory), but I would say the difference is well worth it.

I cannot come up with MSRP prices right now, since J&R webserver is down - I'll update my post in the morning.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 2:26:12 AM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

How about some Quintet satellites? I think they're only like $500 or $600 for the set which leaves plenty of room for purchasing a reciever. They don't sound "awesome" by your normal Klipsch standards, but they aren't bad either... they'll blow pretty much any HTIB out of the water.

----------------

The quintets are going for 200 bucks now!

I'd never go quints. With the 3" (?) woofer, there's just not enough there, then you add the sub and you tell exactly where it is cause it's like pushing like 5 octaves, well into midrange.

I bought bunch of ksb1.1's for $115 per PAIR a while back. Maybe some local stores still have some of them or other synergy. Add a 10 or 12 inch sub and center and you're set.

I think I've got $230 in 4x KSB1.1, maybe $150 in KSC-C1 and $250 in KSW12, that's $630 in mini 5.1 system that will KILL quintets!

Damon, I'll get our Corn parts shipped out to me this week!

Michael

If I was just starting out in multi-channel sound, I would buy the Klipsch Promedia GMX A.21 HT system for my PC or DVD player. This includes two loudspeakers and a subwoofer. Klipschs Trey Cannon brought one to preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. The GMX HT system, on Streams Cayin TA30 integrated tube amplifier was amazing for only 150 bucks! The Promedia GMX are Toyotas, dependable good and reliable. The Promedia Ultra series are Lexus, same company, but better parts, finish, and quality. Klipsch demos are available for $250, at Best Buy for $350.

As you inch up the line of the Klipsch Heritage series, each step takes you closer to the ultimate in the horn sound, the classic Klipsch corner Khorn. One and half dozen used Heresy sales on eBay, until August 2004, shows pairs of the smallest Heritage box, selling from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $405. That leaves over $500 for a powerful subwoofer. A few of my friends bought the SVS tube subwoofers and loved them. I too was impressed with their deep sound. Fortes I and IIs, are similar to Chorus models, though they are less-sensitive, and roll off slowly below 200Hz. Recently five sold on eBay, from a remarkable $158 to a high of $800, for an average of $522.

Or simply get a pair of floor standing Klipsch. I did see a pair of RF-7s for sale for only $1K

2.gif

Sorry to offer an entirely non-Klipsch setup, but I think different speaker makers are better at different price points. For what you are considering for a budget, I would recommend a modified Paradigm setup. This would include Titans for the front l/r, CC 170 for the center (or the cc 70 for a little less) and either another pair of Titans or Atoms for surrounds. At my local dealer, this 5.0 system will cost you between $551-577 plus tax with 14 gauge speaker wire thrown in.

I just purchased the SVS PB10-ISD for my mother for $399 (now $429) and I have been totally impressed by it for the money. The HSU Research STF-2 is comparable in quality (downfiring however, and made in China) for about $50 less. This seems to fit quite nicely in your $1,000 budget.

Paradigm has also come out with an upgraded version of its Cinema Series which now uses the Monitor Series tweeter. They sound pretty good, and are a small size. They can be purchased for a little less than the Performance Series speakers I listed above.

]

Good Luck.

Dunno if they are still in stock, but the older Synergy speakers at best buy are being cleared out.. demo models n such.

I was able to get:

pair of sf3s 400

pair of sf2s 200

pair of sb3s 80

pair of sc.5s 45

one sf3 130

one sc-1 100

"The HSU Research STF-2 is comparable in quality (downfiring however, and made in China) for about $50 less."

As far as quality issues with stuff made in china such as the hsu subwoofer and synergy series it shouldnt be an issue.

I believe that everything comes from china... I think its just assembled here and tested here. I know that when I tried to order a pb10 from svs awhile back, they said that it was backordered and that the first batch of enclosures from "China" were all spoken for and that I would be on the list for the 2nd batch.

For the sub, id definately skip on the lower end klipsches and go for the PB10 or HSU STF2.

The athena AS-F2 floor standers are great speakers.. its a shame Best buy isnt carrying them anymore. If you can still find a set they were closing out at around 300 or so for the pair. Dont bother looking for them in the NoVA area tho.. my friend bought them all :)

The athena B2 bookshelf and their center channel are also great sounding speakers for the money.

Sorry for the late reply. I can only get on during the morning.

Paradigm Atoms

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm

I also apologize to Klipsch for posting competitors on this site, but I do more often recommend Klipsch products to friends and family, but I feel that everyone should get their best value available. I have not heard the Cinema 6 system because my local dealer finds they are not as cost effective in comparison to the speakers form the Paradigm Performance Series.